Former Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff Talks NFL Draft, Matt Ryan, 49ers with Rich Eisen

What I take away from this conversation is not that TD would take a QB... It’s that he would STRONGLY consider a QB because there is a possibility that we may not pick that high again and that a QB with a first round skill set sitting behind Matt Ryan and learning the ropes would give us success beyond his retirement.

I disagree tho because I like the later round QB prospects in this draft; The only thing that separates them from the top prospects is mobility and that’s it. Matt Ryan was a QB that didn’t come out of high school a top QB prospect but he got better EVERY YEAR in college and mastered his system. This is why I like Kyle Trask because he got better every year in college. Give me those type of QB’s as opposed to a “splash” player or a QB that played at an elite program with elite prospects and elite coaching. Trask almost beat Alabama without a run game for goodness sakes 😂. Give me that guy.

13 minutes ago, Macintez said:

What I take away from this conversation is not that TD would take a QB... It’s that he would STRONGLY consider a QB because there is a possibility that we may not pick that high again and that a QB with a first round skill set sitting behind Matt Ryan and learning the ropes would give us success beyond his retirement.

I disagree tho because I like the later round QB prospects in this draft; The only thing that separates them from the top prospects is mobility and that’s it. Matt Ryan was a QB that didn’t come out of high school a top QB prospect but he got better EVERY YEAR in college and mastered his system. This is why I like Kyle Trask because he got better every year in college. Give me those type of QB’s as opposed to a “splash” player or a QB that played at an elite program with elite prospects and elite coaching. Trask almost beat Alabama without a run game for goodness sakes 😂. Give me that guy.

Ehlinger and Mond have mobility, there's definitely more to it than that. 

26 minutes ago, Macintez said:

For all we know, Trask or Newman could turn out to be world-beaters while Wilson, Lance, and Jones turn out to be busts, Fields ends up being Winston 2.0, and Lawrence ends up being Sam Bradford 2.0 (although I seriously doubt that and think Lawrence is the one sure thing in this bunch).

One thing I know for certain is there’s no freaking way all 5 of the top 5 ranked QB’s in this draft are going to be perennial franchise QB’s for the next 10-15 years.

The likelihood that 2-3 of them bust, or are at best nothing more than average and become traded around backups/journeyman inside 4 years is much greater than all of them being exceptional and lasting longterm while being consistent playoff contenders.

And personally, getting possibly the 4th guy on this list doesn’t sound like good odds to me.

We obviously need a backup QB. But I just don’t see us doing that with the 4th pick.  We can certainly swallow a flop QB at pick 108 or 148 much easier than at 4.

Imagine picking Lance at 4 and he turns out to be barely average on his best day, which we don’t find this out for 3 years.  Meanwhile, we could have had Pitts, but he’s setting records in freaking Miami or Detroit.