Romfal's 2.0 Mock Draft - Stay at 4, no QB

1 minute ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I'm all about Sewell at #4 if we don't trade back, but I do not think McGary can come inside and play OG. I could be wrong, but I feel like if we draft Sewell, he battles it out at RT (and prob wins) or starts at LG. 

Either way, I like the idea of drafting Sewell because McGary seems injury prone to me anyways. So he could come in and start at LG and be a swing tackle if Jake or McGary goes down. 

the biggest issue with mcGary at guard is he is taller than average, however I went back and read scouting reports of him coming out and some people had projected him to guard coming out of college, so its worth a shot at the very least in this scenario. think he struggles more with speed than power so that would help him in the new position. Obviously hes never played Guard so its definitely a projection.

I actually like this a lot - not sure about the OLB (or taking a LB that early in general considering I think S is a bigger need both short and long term), and would prefer to take a FS prospect before a SS one, but overall I like it a lot. Get a developmental QB, value at RB, and take the top OL in the draft. We still don't know what we have in Hawkins, but this ensures competition at S and we get a CB in the mid rounds with some upside - addressing the secondary has to be a big part of this draft - pretty confident the FO will address it.

Really, I'm on board with taking either Chase or Sewell there, because even though Julio is great and Matthews is solid, replacing them with a great talent locks that spot down for several years, instead of waiting a couple of years and then trying to scramble to replace them when they are gone or decline or whatever, is a good idea IMO.

1 minute ago, Romfal said:

the biggest issue with mcGary at guard is he is taller than average, however I went back and read scouting reports of him coming out and some people had projected him to guard coming out of college, so its worth a shot at the very least in this scenario. think he struggles more with speed than power so that would help him in the new position. Obviously hes never played Guard so its definitely a projection.

So how would you feel if we draft Sewell and he beats out McGary at RT and McGary just becomes a back up RT? Do you still take Sewell?

Even in that scenario, I would still be fine with drafting Sewell and throwing in the towel on McGary if Sewell provides an upgrade. 

1 minute ago, Clark Kent™ said:

So how would you feel if we draft Sewell and he beats out McGary at RT and McGary just becomes a back up RT? Do you still take Sewell?

Even in that scenario, I would still be fine with drafting Sewell and throwing in the towel on McGary if Sewell provides an upgrade. 

if mcGary can't play guard in camp I would just see if anyone will give me a 4th rounder for him and move on, new regime, can't be married to old regime players even if they were 1st rounders. 

Just now, Romfal said:

if mcGary can't play guard in camp I would just see if anyone will give me a 4th rounder for him and move on, new regime, can't be married to old regime players even if they were 1st rounders. 

Yeah getting some compensation would be good. I wouldn't be against keeping him around just to be an emergency tackle. 

4 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

I actually like this a lot - not sure about the OLB (or taking a LB that early in general considering I think S is a bigger need both short and long term), and would prefer to take a FS prospect before a SS one, but overall I like it a lot. Get a developmental QB, value at RB, and take the top OL in the draft. We still don't know what we have in Hawkins, but this ensures competition at S and we get a CB in the mid rounds with some upside - addressing the secondary has to be a big part of this draft - pretty confident the FO will address it.

Really, I'm on board with taking either Chase or Sewell there, because even though Julio is great and Matthews is solid, replacing them with a great talent locks that spot down for several years, instead of waiting a couple of years and then trying to scramble to replace them when they are gone or decline or whatever, is a good idea IMO.

I like a ton of safeties in this draft and while I would be perfectly ok with safety in the 2nd I chose to take some later because its a deeper position. I like Andre Cisco, Elijah Molden and Jevon Holland as earlier FS picks

10 hours ago, Romfal said:

1.0 Mock with trade down scenario can be viewed here: 

Sticking with the no QB top 5 theme for this one, nobody will be able to convince me a TE is worth a top 5 pick as a 'lets compete' decision so I am going with a position of impact and a player than can be a difference maker at RT and eventually move to LT in 3-4 seasons. Bottom line McGary is an average tackle so maybe he can salvage his career at guard if not we find his replacement next year. Just like my other draft I will focus on defense heavy in the middle rounds to attempt fixing some of the holes we have

R1 Pick 4 - Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon 6-5 331

1191569644.jpg.jpg

I am pretty firm at this point if no QB and no trade down happen here that Sewell is the best option to help Ryan win, we have plenty of weapons, we dont need Pitts or Chase and there is no defender worth this pick either.

athletic profile: https://relativeathleticscores.com/ras-information/?PlayerID=14087

alternative pick: no

R2 Pick 3- Azeez Ojulari, OLB Georgia 6-2 249
ojulai.jpg
great 1st step and cornering ability, think he can get better against the run but should help us day 1 on passing downs.

alternative pick: Zaven Collins, Jayson Oweh

R3 Pick 4- Jamar Johnson, SS, Indiana 6-1 205
3700ea32-9059-4405-832b-ac578dcf3918-202
can play anywhere including slot, two deep and even single high but I think his agility numbers have him best suited to play SS in the NFL, good vision
Alternative Pick: Cisco, Holland, Nasirildeen

R4 Pick 3 -  Paulson Adebo, CB, Stanford 6-1 198
Paulson-Adebo_KAH_100519_105-scaled.jpg
24 PBU's over career, plays the ball well, good size corner, needs to improve tackling and some footwork technique, has not played since 2019
alternative pick: Kelvin Joseph

R5 Pick 4- Caden Sterns, FS, Texas  5-11 202
c35f55da-5ca4-409a-99af-2ad7403ac183-Iow
+ athlete, good coverage and ball skills
alternative pick: Divine Deablo, Richie Grant, Tyree Gillespie

R5 Pick 38 - Kylin Hill, RB, Mississippi State 5-10 214
fd9ae777-5483-45fd-a156-be855c537432-kyl
think Kylin has traits and flashes to be a all purpose back, hes one of my draft sleepers
Alternative pick: Khalil Herbert, Elijah Mitchell, Chris Evans

R5 Pick 40 - Milton Williams, DE, Louisiana Tech 6-3 294
026_USMatTech_TMo.JPG
Athletic DE we can add to the line rotation, can play inside on passing downs on even front
Alternative Pick: Taquon Graham

R6 Pick 3 - Jamie Newman, QB, Wake Forrest 6-2 230
6KWMQU3O3HDJRWKKD4OOOM2S7A.jpg
good down field thrower, some accuracy and mechanics he can improve on. Could be a Taysom Hill gadget type player. 
Alternative Pick: Feleipe Franks

R6 Pick 35 - Jalen Camp, WR, Georgia Tech 6-2 226

13610667.jpeg

A+ athlete with size, could be groomed behind Julio and work as a deep middle target

athletic profile: https://relativeathleticscores.com/ras-information/?PlayerID=19132

alternative pick: Josh Palmer, Trevon Grimes, Josh Imatorbherbhe

Depth Chart:

QB: Matt Ryan, Jamie Newman
RB: Mike Davis, Ito Smith, Kylin Hill, Quadree Ollison
FB: Keith Smith
TE: Hayden Hurst, Lee Smith, Jaeden Graham
LT: Jake Matthews, Matt Gono
LG: Kaleb McGary, Gono
OC: Matt Hennessy, Willie Wright
RG: Chris Lindstrom, Josh Andrews
RT: Penei Sewell, Matt Gono
WR: Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, Russell Gage, Jalen Camp, Zaucheaus

Defense:
ROLB: Azeez Ojulari, Tuoti-Mariner, Steven Means
DE: Grady Jarrett, Marlon Davidson
NT: Tyeler Davison, Deadrin Senat, Chris Slayton
DE: John Cominsky, Milton Williams, Jonathan Bullard
LOLB: Dante Fowler, Barkevious Mingo, Steven Means
MLB: Deion Jones, Mykal Walker
MLB: Foye Oluokun, Brandon Copeland
CB: AJ Terrell, Kendall Sheffield
FS: Erik Harris, Caden Sterns
SS: Jamar Johnson, Jaylinn Hawkins
CB: Fabian Moreau, Paulson Adebo, Isaiah Oliver

Special Teams:
K: Koo
P: Hofrichter/Maggio
LS: Josh Harris

Sorry I had to go thumbs down just for the pick at 4.

34 minutes ago, Romfal said:

my weapons argument is Ryan isn't a rookie anymore, he should be able to play with a few 'lesser guys' on the perimeter if you give him more time in the pocket, which is what my goal here was, if anything I wish it was a better RB class, we pretty much have to pick either pass rush or RB in the 2nd, neither position will have anybody 'elite' later. I went with the pass rusher because we need to find ways to stay in games and get to the QB

Of course, we have to start thinking beyond Ryan.  Pitts would be the new QB’s best friend.

43 minutes ago, Romfal said:

two reasons, 1. because hes a road grader in the run game. 2. because Jake Matthews has played LT far longer than Sewell and it makes no sense to move Jake and have a rookie cover your QB;s blind side, that just seems idiotic to me. :tiphat:

also I see no scenario where Jake plays guard, its always going to be McGary moving. 

Do you think every OL position is just plug and play? 

3 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Do you think every OL position is just plug and play? 

no, but these guys are professionals, you also draft these players early due to their football IQ. some guys can switch in a week due to injuries, I think with 6 months of practice and a training camp it should not be a problem. At the very least learning multiple spots has benefits for the season even if they don't become the day 1 starter. 

35 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Sorry I had to go thumbs down just for the pick at 4.

Sorry I had to downvote you because your a tool.

You don't downvote someone that took the time to post something like this, because he not drafting who you like in a ******* Mock Draft. Then you reply to the post some some hard-hitting, in-depth analysis, strong work. Yell up to mom that you need some more Totino's pizza rolls before you downvote this post.

I don't want Sewell either at #4, but downvote the poster, pathetic.

1 hour ago, Romfal said:

my weapons argument is Ryan isn't a rookie anymore, he should be able to play with a few 'lesser guys' on the perimeter if you give him more time in the pocket, which is what my goal here was, if anything I wish it was a better RB class, we pretty much have to pick either pass rush or RB in the 2nd, neither position will have anybody 'elite' later. I went with the pass rusher because we need to find ways to stay in games and get to the QB

Picking up Gronk, Fournette, and AB worked out pretty well for Brady and the Bucs

On 4/11/2021 at 11:22 AM, PointSwayzee said:

You don't downvote someone that took the time to post something like this, because he not drafting who you like in a ******* Mock Draft. Then you reply to the post some some hard-hitting, in-depth analysis, strong work. Yell up to mom that you need some more Totino's pizza rolls before you downvote this post.

least he could have done is give me a reason against the sewell pick. if your argument is just I like Pitts it doesn't really hold much water. 

9 minutes ago, Speezy said:

I'm into the strategy for toughening up the trenches early on, but I'm not stoked on Ojulari at all. I feel like we badly need bigger bodies on the Edge and DT. Debatably more desperate, I feel like we gotta somehow hit on the safety selections sooner than later. 

its tough to fix all the holes we have in one draft without trading down, maybe you would like my 1.0 a bit better ha

I agree, we need as much top 50 talent with a roster this riddled. Do appreciate how this mock doesn't assume the trade down is a given, but yeah -- I actually do prefer your previous trade down mock. 

Being nitpicky, I would wish for Rousseau over Paye at the 15 spot and maybe Richie Grant instead of Tyson Campbell in round 2. Otherwise, what you did with the series of Creed-Cisco-Sermon-Mond seemed solid.

31 minutes ago, Speezy said:

I agree, we need as much top 50 talent with a roster this riddled. Do appreciate how this mock doesn't assume the trade down is a given, but yeah -- I actually do prefer your previous trade down mock. 

Being nitpicky, I would wish for Rousseau over Paye at the 15 spot and maybe Richie Grant instead of Tyson Campbell in round 2. Otherwise, what you did with the series of Creed-Cisco-Sermon-Mond seemed solid.

I'm skeptical on Rousseau, that 1 year only of production then skipped 2020 and came out early is a red flag to me. I would take him in the 2nd round but personally its too risky of a pick for a 1st, THE 1st pick of this new general manager, would be very ballsy and perhaps too reckless for it to be Rousseau? For those reasons hes off my radar.

I like Grant, he might be in the 3rd mock if I have time and I'm bored enough to make one 😆. this safety class is really solid, I think we can get 2 starters.

1 hour ago, Romfal said:

I'm skeptical on Rousseau, that 1 year only of production then skipped 2020 and came out early is a red flag to me. I would take him in the 2nd round but personally its too risky of a pick for a 1st, THE 1st pick of this new general manager, would be very ballsy and perhaps too reckless for it to be Rousseau? For those reasons hes off my radar.

I like Grant, he might be in the 3rd mock if I have time and I'm bored enough to make one 😆. this safety class is really solid, I think we can get 2 starters.

Good reason on Rousseau, though seems inevitable more flyers than usual will be taken this year considering COVID.

Pardon my parity paralysis, but seems like Pees has benefitted from the big bodies (Seymour/McGinnest & Ngata/Suggs) and superb safety play (Rodney Harrison & Ed Reed). 

It’s tricky to strike the balance between BPA and Position Priority without reaching, but might not matter with all these divots to repair.

On 4/11/2021 at 12:42 PM, Romfal said:

thanks for the thorough breakdown :tiphat:

Ok fine. So a TE isn’t worth the 4th pick, but a T we don’t need is? Caleb isn’t playing G and has improved as a T and will be better with the new scheme. So then what? Put Sewell who from what I understand never played G. You don’t take a G at 4 when they can be had in the 3rd. Unless your telling me he will be Nelson. 

If we were to take Sewell at 4 you might as well give away are pick is how I feel.

On 4/11/2021 at 1:22 PM, PointSwayzee said:

Lol ok

6 hours ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Ok fine. So a TE isn’t worth the 4th pick, but a T we don’t need is? Caleb isn’t playing G and has improved as a T and will be better with the new scheme. So then what? Put Sewell who from what I understand never played G. You don’t take a G at 4 when they can be had in the 3rd. Unless your telling me he will be Nelson. 

If we were to take Sewell at 4 you might as well give away are pick is how I feel.

we need TE about as much as we need OT. If you think either can be generational talent then its fine to take them, either way it improves your team. McGary to me is nothing special, you can make the same argument about Hurst so this makes both of them ugradable.

I mentioned this somewhere in this thread but just because McGary was a 1st round pick doesn't mean this staff should or will have any ties to that, its a brand new regime. **** Hurst was a 1st round pick too. Fontenot has about as many ties to the McGary pick as he does to Hurst. 

my bottom line is a good O-line is better than a TE, see the last superbowl.