Forget the position and the rookie year - draft a pillar player for the franchise

31 minutes ago, Al Bruce said:

Surtain is a good player and I expect him to be a quality starter in this league, but Pitts, Sewell and Chase will do more for the offense than Surtain will do for the defense.  Also, while this draft is generally weaker on defense than it is on offense, the depth at CB is actually pretty decent.

Pitts is a true unicorn in this class, and Sewell is pretty close to being one.  If I am picking in the top 5, I am taking the player who offers something I can't get later in the draft.

I can read our current defensive depth chart, so I understand the eagerness to take a defensive player, but there is not a defensive player with upside equivalent to what the best non-QB offensive prospects offer.

That’s still unknown. Some of best defensive players in the nation didn’t play this year. Had Parsons or Rosseau played this year and built off of their 2019 campaigns, we may be talking about them at 4 on the regular.

there is always a chance that one of these top defenders ends up better than Pitts.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do

Do we feel Surtain can be that pillar?

Surtain and Terrell give the Falcons the best young CB duo in the NFL for the next four years. 

44 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

That’s still unknown. Some of best defensive players in the nation didn’t play this year. Had Parsons or Rosseau played this year and built off of their 2019 campaigns, we may be talking about them at 4 on the regular.

there is always a chance that one of these top defenders ends up better than Pitts.

Great argument here. Underrated point.

59 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Sewell and Chase opted out like Rousseau/Parsons and both Sewell and Chase are still in the top-6 pick conversation.  Whatever Rousseau and Parsons may have done in 2020 is not the issue, they are being evaluated on what they put on tape before opting out like the other players in that situation.  

By the way, there is a chance either Rousseau or his teammate Jaelan Phillips are there at 35....

2 hours ago, deester11 said:

Not at 6 he ain't.  If you aren't the second coming if Deion...nope. But then again if you think he is that's when you draft him.  The pillars are : (not putting in QBs) Pitts, Sewell and perhaps Chase if you truly believe he's Julio part deux. 

I agree.  Nothing against Surtain but would have to be part of a trade down.   Unless you are Jalen Ramsey or Deion it is hard to justify a corner in the top 5 of the draft.  

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

That’s the thang, isn’t it? There’s always gonna be 10-12 players in the draft we all debate over thinking  will be ‘pillars. 

TF don’t know who will turn out to be a ‘pillar’, and nobody in here sure as heck don’t. That’s what always makes the draft so fascinating.

Yeah I can’t wait either. It’s going to be must see tv. 

1 hour ago, Al Bruce said:

Surtain is a good player and I expect him to be a quality starter in this league, but Pitts, Sewell and Chase will do more for the offense than Surtain will do for the defense.  Also, while this draft is generally weaker on defense than it is on offense, the depth at CB is actually pretty decent.

Pitts is a true unicorn in this class, and Sewell is pretty close to being one.  If I am picking in the top 5, I am taking the player who offers something I can't get later in the draft.

I can read our current defensive depth chart, so I understand the eagerness to take a defensive player, but there is not a defensive player with upside equivalent to what the best non-QB offensive prospects offer.

Well put 

I think Pitts, Sewell, Fields or Lance could be pillar players. I go back and forth on thinking if adding an offensive weapon like Pitts moves the needle and takes us to a contending team for the next 10 years. I definitely think he has the talent to be a great player but would having a rare TE help us more 6 years from now than having a great tackle or QB? I honestly don't know. 

2 hours ago, 804_Falconfan said:

I think Pitts, Sewell, Fields or Lance could be pillar players. I go back and forth on thinking if adding an offensive weapon like Pitts moves the needle and takes us to a contending team for the next 10 years. I definitely think he has the talent to be a great player but would having a rare TE help us more 6 years from now than having a great tackle or QB? I honestly don't know. 

Here's my thing with pitts versus the rest. Pitts is a unicorn. He is the best te prospect in 15-20 years and is basically the madden create a player version of new school te. He's the first of his kind. Well second if you count waller but he was being drafted as a wr I believe so it diluted his value. He also had drug problems. You can go in to any draft and have it littered with good ot, qb, wr, ect prospects. Look at this draft. 5-6 first round qbs, 5-6 first round wrs, 5-6 first round ots. That is why pitts is so high up the draft board. He's not something that comes along every draft. He is literally a once a decade+ prospect.

15 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Here's my thing with pitts versus the rest. Pitts is a unicorn. He is the best te prospect in 15-20 years and is basically the madden create a player version of new school te. He's the first of his kind. Well second if you count waller but he was being drafted as a wr I believe so it diluted his value. He also had drug problems. You can go in to any draft and have it littered with good ot, qb, wr, ect prospects. Look at this draft. 5-6 first round qbs, 5-6 first round wrs, 5-6 first round ots. That is why pitts is so high up the draft board. He's not something that comes along every draft. He is literally a once a decade+ prospect.

Completely agree that he is a special prospect and I'm not against picking him. My only reservation is if his addition would move us closer to a Super Bowl than drafting someone at another position. I think he could be an amazing piece and I lean more towards picking him than not. It's just going to depend on TF's team building philosophy. 

Zack Wilson Justin Fields Trey Lance Mac Jones all could be 15 yr pillars. If TF thinks one of these guys will end up being a great play making QB I say go for it. If not trade back and make em pay. It’s going to be a hard pass on these young guns and unlikely to be in the top 5 again in the near future to have the chance for a great QB. Passing on one of the above could come back to bite us in the butt. TF better get it right....we don’t have to

Edited by Atl Falcon
53 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I need a day one contributor in the first, second and third rounds.  Starting players who contribute in a meaningful way.  Whomever that is.  I don't care the position.  

Yes this view isn’t the best for a franchise not ready to contend for a SB.