Patriots-Falcons trade from New England perspective

I think NE, having spent the most they have ever spent in free agency, will need a new QB on a rookie contract. It's very unusual for them to spend this kind of money, so much so Kraft said normally at this time of year, the front office is laughing at teams that spent all the big dollars. 

Cam isn't the answer. What are they going to do, go pick up a high priced vet? They need a solution at QB and don't like losing. 

To me, all signs point to NE trading up with us or someone else in the top 10 to grab one of the remaining QBs. 

Shanahan is not going to pass up on Mac Jones. It's a QB already familiar with the surface level of his system. He's got two years left in SF if he doesn't start winning. He will get one year because of a new QB, meaning that 2022 he has to do something. That means he has to win now. Grabbing one of the other QBs who will need a lot of work to fit into his system will take too long and might really sink next year for him. 

That leaves Lance or Fields for NE. If they want one they need to jump above Denver who will want the other. Probably Detroit and maybe Philly too. The Falcons, if they play this smart could, have their choice of massive packages...and big trade deals as well.

8 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Shanahan is not going to pass up on Mac Jones. It's a QB already familiar with the surface level of his system. He's got two years left in SF if he doesn't start winning. He will get one year because of a new QB, meaning that 2022 he has to do something. That means he has to win now. Grabbing one of the other QBs who will need a lot of work to fit into his system will take too long and might really sink next year for him. 

That leaves Lance or Fields for NE. If they want one they need to jump above Denver who will want the other. Probably Detroit and maybe Philly too. The Falcons, if they play this smart could, have their choice of massive packages...and big trade deals as well.

The Falcons new regime gets either made or broken and likely doomed in their first at-bat of their first draft. Fortunately, they do have things decidedly their own way and can get multiple young impact players where there are mostly holes right now. You have to feel optimistic if they move down they will come out huge winners no matter who they end up doing a deal with.

23 minutes ago, Jesus said:

I really hope they take Mac. That would have the phone ringing off the hook in FB I'm sure. The guy that was supposed to fall midway or lower is gone and then they have to come up to get one if they want it.

13 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

The Falcons new regime gets either made or broken and likely doomed in their first at-bat of their first draft. Fortunately, they do have things decidedly their own way and can get multiple young impact players where there are mostly holes right now. You have to feel optimistic if they move down they will come out huge winners no matter who they end up doing a deal with.

They get broken if they take the wrong QB.

I think if they trade back and re-supply, with an eye toward building a complete team, it's a lot harder to get broken.  They can add to the defense, get a viable WR who can help make moving on from Julio easier, and have future picks if needed.  I'm not saying that's what they'll do, but it seems the safest bet from a job security standpoint. 

Make this offense top 5 again (which should be able to be done with OL improvement, playcalling, and a run game) and make the defense just average in the short term (which hopefully Peas helps, but we'll still need a few secondary players at the least) and you've bought yourself a few years. 

5 minutes ago, Cole World said:

They could trade for Jimmy G and give up less.

I fully expect the Patriots to trade w/ Niners for Jimmy G and renegotiate his contract down - maybe have Niners do it before the trade goes down.    Belicheck wanted to keep Jimmy G and re-sign him rather than trade him and let Brady walk a year earlier but Kraft wanted to hang onto Brady.     I may not have it 100% right but that was the gyst of it.   BB already knows Jimmy G and what he can do - I expect this trade to happen - probably on day of draft as Niners will be desperate to rid themself of Jimmy G's contract or most of it.

I see Niners trading Jimmy G to the Pats for a 3rd round pick.

Just now, g-dawg said:

I fully expect the Patriots to trade w/ Niners for Jimmy G and renegotiate his contract down - maybe have Niners do it before the trade goes down.    Belicheck wanted to keep Jimmy G and re-sign him rather than trade him and let Brady walk a year earlier but Kraft wanted to hang onto Brady.     I may not have it 100% right but that was the gyst of it.   BB already knows Jimmy G and what he can do - I expect this trade to happen - probably on day of draft as Niners will be desperate to rid themself of Jimmy G's contract or most of it.

I see Niners trading Jimmy G to the Pats for a 3rd round pick.

No one wants Garapollo. He can't stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, Mister pudding said:

Draft slot rankings mean nothing (to an extent)

It's all about supply and demand. 

Yep. A bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20Y has a msrp of around $170... but these days you literally have to win a lottery for the opportunity to purchase one at that price. If you reeeeaaallly feel like you just have to have a bottle, you’re forced to pay ridiculously inflated prices on the secondary market. So while PVW20 might have a retail value of just $170, the vast majority of folks buying them are paying closer to $1000-$2000. Supply and demand. 

If they want it, they’re gonna need to pay likely more than what some blanket statement chart says.

20 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

If we use the fourth pick, it's going to be for a QB. I'm convinced of it. But if we take any other position, I would be money that Miami trades out of the sixth spot (if for no other reason than to keep the Pats from grabbing a QB).

Miami likely moved to 6 for Pitts, Chase or Smith. I expect they'll stick to their guns.

18 minutes ago, k-train said:

Yep. A bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20Y has a msrp of around $170... but these days you literally have to win a lottery for the opportunity to purchase one at that price. If you reeeeaaallly feel like you just have to have a bottle, you’re forced to pay ridiculously inflated prices on the secondary market. So while PVW20 might have a retail value of just $170, the vast majority of folks buying them are paying closer to $1000-$2000. Supply and demand. 

If they want it, they’re gonna need to pay likely more than what some blanket statement chart says.

Yup. A loaf of bread is worth a buck until you try to sell it to a starving man

I think a trade back is the falcons best move.

1. it will be a long time before the 4th pick has this year's value. There are multiple teams needing a QB.

2. AS/TF are the best we have had at picking BPA. More picks = more hits.

3. We dont need a QB on the bench pick at 4th in the 1st round.

4. AS/DP are the best HC/DC we have had for years.  Coaching alone will make us ALOT better.