NFL Draft Rumor: Washington may “unload all their picks” for Trey Lance

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2021/4/9/22375793/nfl-draft-rumor-washington-may-unload-all-their-picks-for-trey-lance-falcons-quarterback

Three weeks until the NFL draft and we still have no idea what the Atlanta Falcons will do. The team has shown interest in the top quarterback prospects. The team is also rumored to have a strong interest in tight end Kyle Pitts. The team has also reportedly been open to trade discussions.

Everything appears on the table for Atlanta. ESPN analyst Mina Kimes summed up the situation perfectly: any of those potential moves are defensible. Terry Fontenot can kick off the transition to a new era with Justin Fields or Trey Lance. He can grab the best player in the draft and potentially generational talent in Pitts. Or with the top three picks essentially decided, he can trade the pick and load up on cheap, young rookies for the next two to three years.

When the San Francisco 49ers first traded up to the third overall pick a few weeks back, some initially thought the lack of additional quarterbacks would hurt the Falcons. However, we believed it increased the value. There was no more uncertainty at the 4th pick, and if any team desired to “get their guy,” they have to trade with the Falcons. Any other spot risks getting jumped, especially by the desperate Carolina Panthers.

The only question is if a team liked their guy enough to trade substantial draft capital. For instance, the Dallas Cowboys are rumored to be considering a trade up for Pitts. Now Washington Football Team, nearly Panthers-level desperate for a quarterback, is considering a trade as well, per Michael Lombardi (via Burgundy Blog).

Washington has consistently made out list of potential trade candidates, but at 19th overall, would need to pay a premium to get to 4. In fact, our latest mock draft from editor Kevin Knight had the Falcons swapping picks with Washington. Knight’s projected trade was Washington sending over nearly every 2021 pick and its 1st round pick in 2022. However, if there is heavy interest in the 4th overall pick, such as from Dallas for Pitts or other teams, like Chicago or Denver, looking to secure either Fields or Lance, that price is almost certain to move up.

If the Falcons do trade down, we have a much better idea on their plan for the future. Fontenot and Arthur Smith will be sticking with Matt Ryan for at least the next few years, providing Ryan with more help instead of a backup breathing down his neck.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2021/4/9/22375793/nfl-draft-rumor-washington-may-unload-all-their-picks-for-trey-lance-falcons-quarterback Three weeks until the NFL draft and we still have no idea

Posted Images

I mean, I can definitely see a team like them that seems like they're a good QB away breaking the proverbial bank for a rookie. Not sure I would be doing that for Lance, but hey I'd trade with em.

Everyone has to know that they're not gonna go through an entire season hoping that Heinicke and/or Fitz could get them to the playoffs again.

I still don’t know if I would do it. I guess my personal feeling is going that route really locks us in where if we trade to 7 or 9 we can move down again and pick up more picks possibly at better spots. I might need a 3rd 1st rounder from Washington. 

4 minutes ago, Red Bandana said:

19? Screw that

And end up with 2 picks in the 2nd, 2 or 3 in the 3rd, maybe 2 in the 4th.. plus more picks in 2022?  I think that would be hard to pass up for a team like us that needs a lot of cheap players the next season or two.  We could reload both safety spots, RB, CB, edge rusher, DT, and guard/center.. with picks to spare.  

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I'm not sure how stock piling picks over the next few drafts would be screwing ourselves. A top 5 pick can bust just as easily as pick 19.

It’s not that we’d be stock piling picks it’s how we’d be going about it. I don’t mind trading down to 19 but it has to be a 2nd or 3rd trade down. We have the potential to put ourselves in some really good spots in this draft.