To Those Who Think We Can Cut/Trade Ryan

10 minutes ago, Williamb said:

Thats one of the reasons I don't want one of the big 5 this year. I don't want to see this board if ryan has a bad game or when we lose a couple in a row. I want a year where this system and these coaches/players get established without added drama.

It goes both ways in NFL. Coaches need to win the locker room. If they don’t have the locker room, they better start looking for next job. 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We would likely be in that boat if we cut or traded Ryan next year.  Many think it’s easy to do and move on...history says otherwise.  Thought this was very eye opening.  

32m next year as it sits, and the cap should get a massive bump from the new tv deals... https://overthecap.com/calculator/atlanta-falcons/

It's not going to be hard to fix. This is where TF and his crew earn their money via scouting and AS and his crew earn their money via teaching and coaching. Holes will be filled, whether it be with a

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

First pick Ryan throws the fans and media would want the number 4 pick to play. If you think there won’t be media circus, you are delusional. 

That mentality strikes me as allowing fear of external pressure to overrule what should be the focus - building the best roster possible. It would mean making sure your backups are inferior, otherwise there may be pressure from the media or fans that they play more. That approach isn't winning anything of substance. 

13 hours ago, Rings said:

Roster is worse right now than last year this time, lost Mack, cut Takk and both safeties gone and whatever you thought of Gurley.  Coaching was the biggest issue imo, but defense is pretty barren right now.  Gonna be hard to fix it unless we stock up on picks because we won’t have cap space for a while.

I don't think we are getting rid of Ryan even next year. With that said I don't think the defense is in as bad of shape as people think. Of course its not great and obvisouly won't be this year. The players we lost though is not really a big deal. Allen was average at best along with most of the others. Neal was the best we lost, but didn't really fit the new scheme and isn't great in coverage. 

As far as offense Mack isn't what he was and Gurley was just ok even though the scheme did suck.

Just now, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

I don't think we are getting rid of Ryan even next year. With that said I don't think the defense is in as bad of shape as people think. Of course its not great and obvisouly won't be this year. The players we lost though is not really a big deal. Allen was average at best along with most of the others. Neal was the best we lost, but didn't really fit the new scheme and isn't great in coverage. 

As far as offense Mack isn't what he was and Gurley was just ok even though the scheme did suck.

You're right, we didn't really lose anything on the defense that cannot be replaced.  Really, other than holes, we are no worse off.

53 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

That mentality strikes me as allowing fear of external pressure to overrule what should be the focus - building the best roster possible. It would mean making sure your backups are inferior, otherwise there may be pressure from the media or fans that they play more. That approach isn't winning anything of substance. 

^ This.

I’m not firmly in any one camp, or of line of thinking, with regards to the draft; with exception of building the best roster possible. There are so many viable options at 4 ( Trade back, OL, WR, TE).

What gets lost on the “never *insert position*” people is that no singular piece is going to turn this team in the opposite direction it is going. No single, coach, player, or scheme will do it; it takes a village. This is a course correction, it’ll take time.

If I had to choose a player at 4; (In my opinion) the player that would most help us immediately would be Sewell. Plug him at LG and seal that line up. He’d help keep Ryan upright, make holes for Davis, and keep the chains moving. It isn’t a flashy move, but it’ll pay the most immediate, and long term, dividends.

My personal preference is to trade back and load up on picks. 

15 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Gurley's first step is gone. It's a shame, but reality

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

You really think he won't be salty if we take that number 4 pick and use it on his replacement when it's the only real way we can add any impact players this year? Any competitive athlete with a pulse is going to be mad as ****. 

Well “mad as insert here”—not sure about that. Perhaps bothered or worried, likely because its human nature. And some might get fire breathing mad. But Matt, just like anyone else capable of rational thought, knows he cannot play forever. Matt should just be the best QB he can be for as long as he is able to do it and leave the rest to the Owner, GM and coach. He will be fine if he does this.

7 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

^ This.

I’m not firmly in any one camp, or of line of thinking, with regards to the draft; with exception of building the best roster possible. There are so many viable options at 4 ( Trade back, OL, WR, TE).

What gets lost on the “never *insert position*” people is that no singular piece is going to turn this team in the opposite direction it is going. No single, coach, player, or scheme will do it; it takes a village. This is a course correction, it’ll take time.

If I had to choose a player at 4; (In my opinion) the player that would most help us immediately would be Sewell. Plug him at LG and seal that line up. He’d help keep Ryan upright, make holes for Davis, and keep the chains moving. It isn’t a flashy move, but it’ll pay the most immediate, and long term, dividends.

My personal preference is to trade back and load up on picks. 

Yes and yes. And if you look at your first bolded statement "not one singular piece is going to turn this team" then the second bolded statement, which is also my philosophy, seems to be the correct answer.

1 hour ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

It has nothing to do with inferior backups or play level. It’s drafting a guy in top 5 or signing a top FA to be your back up. Media and fan expectations create controversies. Ryan is going to compete but media asking AS every week who is your starting Qb? Your QB had bad game, are you going to start number 4 over all pick rookie? The team ain’t winning with this circus. 

7 minutes ago, JCITOW said:

Well “mad as insert here”—not sure about that. Perhaps bothered or worried, likely because its human nature. And some might get fire breathing mad. But Matt, just like anyone else capable of rational thought, knows he cannot play forever. Matt should just be the best QB he can be for as long as he is able to do it and leave the rest to the Owner, GM and coach. He will be fine if he does this.

Great take.

10 minutes ago, JCITOW said:

I don’t think Matt will be worried with competition from a rookie or even bothered. But he would bail out if he senses a rebuild or team starts losing with no run game snd no run defense expecting perfect QB play. I think it goes back to, are Falcons doing enough to win the SB? Matt isn’t getting younger. 

11 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I don’t think Matt will be worried with competition from a rookie or even bothered. But he would bail out if he senses a rebuild or team starts losing with no run game snd no run defense expecting perfect QB play. I think it goes back to, are Falcons doing enough to win the SB? Matt isn’t getting younger. 

“ bail out”—can you be more specific?

25 minutes ago, JCITOW said:

I say mad because matt knows he only has a few years left to win a super bowl and his ticket to the hof. Taking a qb there pretty much concedes that won't be happening. 

3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

None of us are more knowledgeable than the next person. We all specialize in one way the next person lacks in. If there's truly one person here who knows everything, I haven't seen him or her. 

Now when peeps start proclaiming straight facts when its really straight 💩, then there's an issue 😂

to paraphrase an old saying 'one fan's facts are another fan's fiction'

:lol:

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I say mad because matt knows he only has a few years left to win a super bowl and his ticket to the hof. Taking a qb there pretty much concedes that won't be happening. 

I respectfully disagree. It would not necessarily mean that. More than simply taking a QB would need to happen. For instance, they take a QB, but otherwise use several picks to sure up the Defense and get a few other offensive weapons. That would not necessarily signal rebuild, right?

38 minutes ago, JCITOW said:

^ This

Not every football player is a diva. I think people are overstating, by a large margin, that Matt would be “mad as h@ll.”, or would “bail out” if the team decided to draft another QB.

Ryan has showed himself to be nothing but a class act, and stand up guy, since he has been here. It would be COMPLETELY out of character for him to pull a complete 180 on this personality and do absolutely nothing to help a rookie QB out. That’s diva behavior.

And honestly, any diva player, can pack their bags and get out of town for all I care. It’s about the team, not about you. 

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Matt has done enough statistically to be considered for the HOF. He won’t be a first ballot, but I think he gets there. 

I believe Matt has about two years left in him and that’s it. It’s highly improbable that the team will be Super Bowl caliber at that point. That’s not because Ryan isn’t good, you’re only as good as the sum of your parts. Our parts need a lot of work.  

45 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yes and yes. And if you look at your first bolded statement "not one singular piece is going to turn this team" then the second bolded statement, which is also my philosophy, seems to be the correct answer.

Thank you. We need a lot of help. The oddest thing about this offseason is that the biggest debate going on right now isn’t OL vs trade back; it’s QB vs TE.

This is especially funny because many of the same people who have been “beating the drum” to improve the trenches, are now firmly in the TE camp. Their main reasoning to “draft QB” people is that “Ryan is not the problem.”, cap space, Ryan would be mad, and/or wasted pick. All of which are exaggerated in some way, shape, or form. To the “only draft QB” people, it’s about Ryan being bad, and being the main problem, etc; also exaggerated points.

I’m just wondering what happened to the whole “we need to improve the trenches”. These issues didn’t magically go away.

Neither a future QB, or a TE is going to get us to the SB in two seasons. Neither one will play a singular pivotal role in the turn of this franchise this season. I do know one thing though, both could be potential game changers for the franchise in the future.

That’s what you’re banking on in the draft, the potential. 

34 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

^ This

Not every football player is a diva. I think people are overstating, by a large margin, that Matt would be “mad as h@ll.”, or would “bail out” if the team decided to draft another QB.

Ryan has showed himself to be nothing but a class act, and stand up guy, since he has been here. It would be COMPLETELY out of character for him to pull a complete 180 on this personality and do absolutely nothing to help a rookie QB out. That’s diva behavior.

And honestly, any diva player, can pack their bags and get out of town for all I care. It’s about the team, not about you. 

Stafford never showed he was a diva either. I'm not saying matt is gonna go all t.o. and put everything out in the public...

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Stafford never showed he was a diva either. I'm not saying matt is gonna go all t.o. and put everything out in the public...

You used Favre and Rodgers as an example. Both of which have/had been known to air their “dirty laundry” to the public. And from the reports about how Favre was treating Rodgers, was unprofessional. Ryan hasn’t done anything like that in his career. 

23 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Thank you. We need a lot of help. The oddest thing about this offseason is that the biggest debate going on right now isn’t OL vs trade back; it’s QB vs TE.

This is especially funny because many of the same people who have been “beating the drum” to improve the trenches, are now firmly in the TE camp. Their main reasoning to “draft QB” people is that “Ryan is not the problem.”, cap space, Ryan would be mad, and/or wasted pick. All of which are exaggerated in some way, shape, or form. To the “only draft QB” people, it’s about Ryan being bad, and being the main problem, etc; also exaggerated points.

I’m just wondering what happened to the whole “we need to improve the trenches”. These issues didn’t magically go away.

Neither a future QB, or a TE is going to get us to the SB in two seasons. Neither one will play a singular pivotal role in the turn of this franchise this season. I do know one thing though, both could be potential game changers for the franchise in the future.

And the people that beat the bpa drum suddenly don't want bpa anymore.

20 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I expect players with specific skill sets in the draft. I don't know what those specific skill sets are, but whatever the staff has determined.

We definitely need IOL, and I'm sure some of those guys will be drafted because of the specific skillset TF mentioned. But I don't think any specific position group will be emphasized over another in the draft, (except at times when multiple players have the same or very close value and we have a need in one area). I hope they'll stick to their value board, and I expect they will.

We have more free agency acquisitions to be had after the draft as teams solidify their rosters and cut other players.