To Those Who Think We Can Cut/Trade Ryan

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We would likely be in that boat if we cut or traded Ryan next year.  Many think it’s easy to do and move on...history says otherwise.  Thought this was very eye opening.  

32m next year as it sits, and the cap should get a massive bump from the new tv deals... https://overthecap.com/calculator/atlanta-falcons/

It's not going to be hard to fix. This is where TF and his crew earn their money via scouting and AS and his crew earn their money via teaching and coaching. Holes will be filled, whether it be with a

5 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Yea. What do all of those teams have in common? I'll answer it, they all absolutely sucked prior except the Saints

Poorly run teams, correct.  Our roster isn’t exactly great, and we weren’t exactly good last few years.  We wouldn’t be any better if we had 40mil in dead cap either.  We have holes all over and fighting to get under the cap.  Imagine when everyone else’s cap jumps next year but ours would basically stay he same because of all that dead money and they could make moves and we couldn’t?  

3 minutes ago, Rings said:

Poorly run teams, correct.  Our roster isn’t exactly great, and we weren’t exactly good last few years.  We wouldn’t be any better if we had 40mil in dead cap either.  We have holes all over and fighting to get under the cap.  Imagine when everyone else’s cap jumps next year but ours would basically stay he same because of all that dead money and they could make moves and we couldn’t?  

Is the roster not great or was the coaching mostly poor? I already went back and forth about this for over an hour earlier. Not gonna go through it again. Energy gone 

But Also from that thread. 

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Is the roster not great or was the coaching mostly poor? I already went back and forth about this for over an hour earlier. Not gonna go through it again. 

But Also from that thread. 

Roster is worse right now than last year this time, lost Mack, cut Takk and both safeties gone and whatever you thought of Gurley.  Coaching was the biggest issue imo, but defense is pretty barren right now.  Gonna be hard to fix it unless we stock up on picks because we won’t have cap space for a while.

4 minutes ago, Rings said:

Roster is worse right now than last year this time, lost Mack, cut Takk and both safeties gone and whatever you thought of Gurley.  Coaching was the biggest issue imo, but defense is pretty barren right now.  Gonna be hard to fix it unless we stock up on picks because we won’t have cap space for a while.

32m next year as it sits, and the cap should get a massive bump from the new tv deals...

https://overthecap.com/calculator/atlanta-falcons/

Just now, Rings said:

It's not going to be hard to fix. This is where TF and his crew earn their money via scouting and AS and his crew earn their money via teaching and coaching. Holes will be filled, whether it be with accepted players or not. It's on AS and DP to put them in position to be successful.

Let's think about it, this very conversation has been had how many times since 08? Don't need a team full of household names to have success. You need competent coaching mostly. The rest falls in line. Can't compare the Falcons situation to other teams situations because those teams were truly bad before devouring the dead cap. 2 players are the biggest reason the Falcons cap situation is screwed and those are the 2 players that THIS board feels are needed to win the super bowl. So in the end, the fans got exactly what they wanted. Let us rejoice and sing kumbayah. 

I just ruined that spelling

1 minute ago, athell said:

32m next year as it sits, and the cap should get a massive bump from the new tv deals...

I want to believe this, but the owners could theoretically save the cap increase until 2024. I expect the cap to go back up to $220 million or so next year, maybe a little less. By 2024, it should be at least $260 million, though.

OTC had a good article about this a couple of weeks ago:

https://overthecap.com/what-kind-of-impact-will-the-new-tv-deals-possibly-have-on-the-salary-cap/

5 minutes ago, athell said:

If true, this doesn't even include potential cuts to free up more money. I get the feeling Some fan favorites are going to be gone in the next few years

Just now, marvinthemartian said:

That bump won’t help as much as we all think. All the players will want their contracts to go up proportionately. 

A lot will just take 1 year contracts along the way to get to that point but yea.  But also I don't want to pay out the butt in free agency because that's not smart.

BTW, if you want to think about the multi-year perspective here, a viable rookie starter at QB in 2024 is the way to break the cap.

You'd get three years with more than $250 million to spend on all other positions. I honestly hadn't thought about that until now, but something I'm confident the front office has debated. You lose a competitive advantage by paying a QB big money on a contract extension that goes into effect in 2024.

7 minutes ago, jidady said:

I want to believe this, but the owners could theoretically save the cap increase until 2024. I expect the cap to go back up to $220 million or so next year, maybe a little less. By 2024, it should be at least $260 million, though.

OTC had a good article about this a couple of weeks ago:

https://overthecap.com/what-kind-of-impact-will-the-new-tv-deals-possibly-have-on-the-salary-cap/

Given that 2023 may still be impacted by Covid my guess is our first real big spike year hits in 2024 with the cap probably in the range of $260 million. It should reach $300 million by 2027. But I don’t anticipate this massive jump from $200 to $300 million in the course of 1 year. 

$300m O.o

3 minutes ago, jidady said:

BTW, if you want to think about the multi-year perspective here, a viable rookie starter at QB in 2024 is the way to break the cap.

You'd get three years with more than $250 million to spend on all other positions. I honestly hadn't thought about that until now, but something I'm confident the front office has debated. You lose a competitive advantage by paying a QB big money on a contract extension that goes into effect in 2024.

I hadn't thought of that either but yea wow you are right...that could be massive.

Given that 2023 may still be impacted by Covid my guess is our first real big spike year hits in 2024 with the cap probably in the range of $260 million. It should reach $300 million by 2027. But I don’t anticipate this massive jump from $200 to $300 million in the course of 1 year. 

$300m O.o

Where the **** were you earlier when I was trying to discuss this. I couldn't hit directly in this area because I hadn't looked but it's what I was aiming for off the dome

$300m O.o

Right? Mahomes has 2025 penciled in as the year he buys the Red Sox for his dad.

15 minutes ago, Rings said:

True, but prob getting picks next year for 3 out 4 of those

39 minutes ago, Rings said:

We would likely be in that boat if we cut or traded Ryan next year.  Many think it’s easy to do and move on...history says otherwise.  Thought this was very eye opening.

Post June 2022 cut/trade would be the only viable option. And we’d still be eating a lot of cap space.

To play devils advocate:

2020 - 4 wins

2019 - 7 wins

2018 - 7 wins

So we aren’t that far off already.

I don’t agree that it’s all on Ryan; that’s statistically improbable. However Ryan’s age and physical regression could lead to some tough but necessary decisions to be made.

main-qimg-21f344cf1d36561ba327ba12b394fe

I’m confident Ryan will have a 2010-esque season this year. Nothing spectacular, but efficient.