Biggest reason not to draft a QB?

Just now, falcons007 said:

How am I cherry picking? My comment was relevant to #4 pick. Falcons aren't picking #1 over all and picking at 4. Its simple, list the top 5 QB taken after the first guy went off. There were a lot of QB taken in top 5 (outside #1 over all) and they were all busts. 

We are not picking 2nd, 3rd or 5th either. You are cherry picking and you know it. But good try.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The biggest reason to draft a QB is that we only have one on the roster. We were paying Matt Schaub six million to sit on the bench, but you're afraid to pay a rookie QB similar money to sit and learn

Is this baby missing some fingers or something? Or could you still count Schaub’s starts on an adult’s hand as well? 😂

How many days until the draft?

Just now, PriMeTiiMe said:

We are not picking 2nd, 3rd or 5th either. You are cherry picking and you know it. But good try.

I was generous offering additional picks in top 5. I guess even if you include 4 other picks, all you will find are busts. Adding or removing 2-5 picks won't change the facts. 

The bottom line is TF and AS have evaluated these guys. If they see a QB available that they think can be a great player and the starter for the next decade and prize that over another player, then so be it. If you're afraid they'll pick a bust then you're not sure about their evaluating ability. Which is fine given they just got here but you shouldn't be anymore confident they'd pick a good QB in the 3rd round. 

I was generous offering additional picks in top 5. I guess even if you include 4 other picks, all you will find are busts. Adding or removing 2-5 picks won't change the facts. 

"Generously offering additional picks" but yet removing another that would discredit your argument. Again, you know what you were trying to do. 

I will take my chance with a top 5 QB over taking a chance on hitting on the less than 1% of successful QBs in the late rounds all day long. Not just this year but any year. 

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Lets be real. You still haven't Listed the QB picked in top 5 (outside first QB picked) who were successful. I will take Wilson, Cousins, Carr and heck even Jimmy G and Foles over these top 5 busts. 

you have to look at those teams who pick those qbs the teams suck with no talent bro look who those teams usually are the browns, jets, jags they all sucks with no weapons on offense they dont have a Julio or Rid, Hopkins, Adams, Evans, please name me a top 10 or 15 WR on the Jets 007. The browns finally just got weapons and baker finally broke through the mold with browns but the jets and jags still suck with horrible weapons to help carry the load for a rookie qb. The best WR on the jags is dj chark he is good but he isnt the guys that i mention you really think if Daroald had a julio, rid, gage, hurst on his team he wouldnt have put up better numbers.

6 hours ago, FalconOdense said:

Money or Cap.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2020/04/24/2020-nfl-draft-first-round-rookie-salary-projections-what-burrow-tua-and-chase-young-will-make/?sh=3f09da335be3

Looking at this list. Tua was a fifth overall selection. Got 30,3mio for four years. We might have to pay a bit more with the fourth overall selection.

Is it really realistic that we want to pay a guy sitting on the bench for at least two years that kind of money when we have NO cap space? It would be different if we had a cheaper QB or more cap, but we dont.

We have to take full advantage of the money that we do have. Our draft picks needs to play and fill a void - not holding a clipboard.

Cap ain’t real. It’s imaginary.🤥

"Generously offering additional picks" but yet removing another that would discredit your argument. Again, you know what you were trying to do. 

I will take my chance with a top 5 QB over taking a chance on hitting on the less than 1% of successful QBs in the late rounds all day long. Not just this year but any year. 

Emotions... Thats fine, at least you are honest its not based on facts or reality. 

I don't think the cap should have any influence on who we draft.  You draft the best player available.  If the best player available is at a position you don't need, try to trade out of the position.  If there are multiple players that are the best at their respective positions, you take whichever one improves your team the most.  You don't reach, taking a player because of need above impact players at other positions.  But you also don't take a player at a position you are deep in if there is comparable talent at a position of need.

At #4, there are several elite prospects at several positions to choose from.  Personally, with QB being valued so much more at #4, I would trade down and still get guys we would want on this team.

6 hours ago, kenn.junior said:

i think its smart maybe im just dumb or something cuz picking for your heir apparent is smart especially for someone like lance who is only 20 years old who didnt play a bunch of games cuz of covid so its a perfect situation for him and us to not rush him and to pick up right where matt left off. we dont need to trade a bunch of picks to get him cuz he right there in on laps 

You’re not dumb. I just like seeing us not panicking as other teams (49ers, panthers, jets, Indy, Rams) are, who are IMO reacting in the moment. I think TF/AS have a proactive strategic long-term plan, which is refreshing.

I’ve consistently said all offseason falcons were sitting pretty, there was no need to play their cards until draft night. They are arguable sitting better right now prior to draft than any other team other than perhaps jets/Dolphins....but even better than even those two, because we know what we’ve got at QB.

Just now, kenn.junior said:

you have to look at those teams who pick those qbs the teams suck with no talent bro look who those teams usually are the browns, jets, jags they all sucks with no weapons on offense they dont have a Julio or Rid, Hopkins, Adams, Evans, please name me a top 10 or 15 WR on the Jets 007. The browns finally just got weapons and baker finally broke through the mold with browns but the jets and jags still suck with horrible weapons to help carry the load for a rookie qb. The best WR on the jags is dj chark he is good but he isnt the guys that i mention you really think if Daroald had a julio, rid, gage, hurst on his team he wouldnt have put up better numbers.

Wait, I thought Falcons needed a QB because we are in rebuild and are terrible team. Didnt we hear that Falcons have all the Cap on few positions. How is the new guy going to be successful with no cap and on a  bad team needing a rebuild? Bottom line you still haven't listed a successful guy. 

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Emotions... Thats fine, at least you are honest its not based on facts or reality. 

Says the guy trying to cherry pick a specific set of points to try and prove his argument and can't even admit it. 😂

We pick 4. Not any other pick. Why select only top 5? Why discredit #1? Why not include 6 or any other number? 

You can pick and choose any data and try and make it into an argument. Just like how I can point to the bust percentage of QBs taken after rounds 1 all day long and you cannot dispute it. 

Round and round we go.

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You’re not dumb. I just like seeing us not panicking as other teams (49ers, panthers, jets, Indy, Rams) are, who are IMO reacting in the moment. I think TF/AS have a proactive strategic long-term plan, which is refreshing.

Define long term in NFL.

3 minutes ago, kenn.junior said:

Agreed. People like to pretend that teams with top 5 picks usually aren't terrible. These guys aren't picked in a vacuum. Some of them do just suck but we have to look at the whole picture. 

I think the bigger point isn’t what you have to pay them, it’s what you aren’t. 4th overall makes the same regardless of position.  They will have a roughly 6mil cap hit.  So if it is a Qb, compare that to a 30mil cap hit and you are saving 24mil.  There is a ton of value there...if that rookie is playing and if you aren’t paying another QB a ton of money.  This plays into two points I make often on here.  

1). That pick has a TON of value taking a QB at four, but it doesn’t for us.  Even if we cut Ryan next year post June 1st, we pay him 40 mil over those two years, so you are paying around 30mil to a QB position regardless over the next 3 years. You have just thrown away 3 of the 4  years on his rookie deal and now can’t us that to surround them with more talent.  5th year option for a QB now isn’t cheap under new CBA.

2) Its why running backs in the first round don’t make much sense.  If you draft a RB at say 4th overall, again paying the same regardless of position, you are saving nothing, the RB tag isn’t much higher than that.  You lose value by taking a RB in the first because you aren’t saving much vs signing someone off the streets or paying your guy long term.  

Point is, that pick is worth a ton.  It’s worth a lot because a QB will still be available, two if SF actually takes Jones.  But that pick will be worth more to Denver, New England, WFT or Chicago than it will be to us because of them needing a QB.  If we don’t find a way to take advantage of that, we failed.

Says the guy trying to cherry pick a specific set of points to try and prove his argument and can't even admit it. 😂

We pick 4. Not any other pick. Why select only top 5? Why discredit #1? Why not include 6 or any other number? 

You can pick and choose any data and try and make it into an argument. Just like how I can point to the bust percentage of QBs taken after rounds 1 all day long and you cannot dispute it. 

Round and round we go.

Lmao. I haven't seen any QB listed other than emotions or generalities.  Keep moving goal posts. There is no discrediting first pick. You want to pick #1. go ahead and post the number 1 over all too. lol.  List all the top 5 pick franchise QB who were future of the franchise for years after Ryan was drafted. You know that is extremely bare too. 

Just now, slick0ne said:

I can see the reasoning behind both approaches.

For me it all boils down to winning next 2-3 years. 

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

3 years for me. The draft is about the long-term.

Yep. Looks like TF and AS are doing exactly the same. All the offseason decisions point to moves for next 2-3 years. 

Just now, slick0ne said:

I can see the reasoning behind both approaches.

In theory yes, but in reality no.  We are going to be in the win now mode, not 2 or 3 years from now. With the trade down, Smith will gain another 4 or 5 high picks that will allow Pees to mold a defense quickly and allow a pick for the trenches and stud RB. 

Wait, I thought Falcons needed a QB because we are in rebuild and are terrible team. Didnt we hear that Falcons have all the Cap on few positions. How is the new guy going to be successful with no cap and on a  bad team needing a rebuild? Bottom line you still haven't listed a successful guy. 

wait wait i never said that 007 I never said we were a terrible team this pick would be a complete future move a successor to matt thats all its getting our future qb now when we got the chance. But ok how about this? is there more successful qbs in the first round then there are for the mid rounds. its not fair how you use the top 5 picks but use all of the late rounds picks thats a smaller sample size to a bigger one. name me the last great round 5+  qb other then brady.

Just now, kenn.junior said:

wait wait i never said that 007 I never said we were a terrible team this pick would be a complete future move a successor to matt thats all its getting our future qb now when we got the chance. But ok how about this? is there more successful qbs in the first round then there are for the mid rounds. its not fair how you use the top 5 picks but use all of the late rounds picks thats a smaller sample size to a bigger one. name me the last great round 5+  qb other then brady.

Did I say pick a QB after 5th round. My position has been pick in mid rounds 2-5, or even trade back from 35 to late first round if there is a QB you like. 

5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Doesn't matter what position is chosen. The money is going to be close to last year's. The rookie wage scale is nothing like the old system for rookies. They can draft a punter at 4 and he's going to get paid. Matt Schaub just got paid handsomely the last few years and only played a baby's hand of games and it wasn't an issue so it shouldn't be an issue with Matt's heir

I think it's the use of the limited funds that the OP is getting at there. Drafting a QB at 4 would be like taking the rent money and buying booze and cigarettes. Neither one contributes to a better outcome than paying the rent.