SMH Falcons drafting TE at 4th...Really BAD start for new Regime

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But... What if you are wrong?

If Falcons draft Kyle Pitts at 4th, this regime is already doomed.  While I am in the camp that would like to see us draft Fields or Lance and ideally Fields, with Ryan's restructure, it just doesn't

I wasn't sure about Pitts. After reading this post, I am convinced he should be the guy at #4.

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, BLM said:

How about you tell me which TE drafted in the 1 in recent years was worth being drafted in 1.  Speak with facts, not with emotion.

WRs >>>> TEs.  WRs can run routes in the middle of the field too.    Pitts can't block.  He's a poor man's WR.

Pitts can block

52 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

The te position has evolved just like you jabronis constantly talk about the qb position evolving. This isn't the 90s anymore. The te position is used to create constant mismatches because they have to be covered by a safety or a lb.

You're just butthurt because we aren't drafting a qb

Yeah bro this board has gone to hail in a hand basket. Too many different draft camps. QB, TE, WR, OL, trade up, trade down, you name it. Somebody’s gonna be pissed come April 29th. Trust me.

Meanwhile I’m hoping we extend Grady, free up some cap space, plug a few more holes with NFL vets, then draft BPAs for the future. In every round. We should be able to find 2-3 potential starters with a BPA approach.

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

They are not TE- FACT

It's funny he's talking about TE taking years to develop. We quickly forget about the Charles Rogers(RIP), Roy Williams, Ashley Lelie, Freddie Mitchell, Reggie Williams, Chad Jackson, Derrius Heyward Bay, Justin Blackmon, Devin Thomas. Those are the only ones i can think of

I can agree that we need a TE down the line at some point.  By no means is it worth it at #4.  To me, TE is like icing on the cake.  Especially when you have the 3 WRs we have.  We have 0 starters at safety.  Sure, we can roll with what we have and just deal with the suck a** play we will get out of the position in 2021 IF we have to.  For a QB that is worth it.  Not for a TE.  

We have Hurst who is a starter at TE.  We have a blocking TE too.  We can make due for a season with what is there, so drafting Pitts would be odd.  Much rather it be a QB.  If you move out of 4, things open up as you will get extra picks which I'm sure would allow for more bodies in the top 4 rounds.  I look at rounds 1-3 as starters.  Sure, some you may want to sit, but don't think its the worst situation if they end up starting.

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

It's funny he's talking about TE taking years to develop. We quickly forget about the Charles Rogers(RIP), Roy Williams, Ashley Lelie, Freddie Mitchell, Reggie Williams, Chad Jackson, Derrius Heyward Bay, Justin Blackmon, Devin Thomas. Those are the only ones i can think of

Devonta parker, kevin white, braylon edwards, every wr the pats have drafted in the last 15 years

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

Yep. I like Chase and Waddle, but  are they considered once in a generation talent like Pitts? No. Pitts is in uncharted territory if you consider his college production, wing span, measurable, speed and other factors. When did you see last TE prospect like him? No one knows what Pitts or any one in the draft will become in NFL. 

3 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

Also, Pitts can catch and block too so....

Have you read any of his scouting report?  No one denies he can catch.  But everyone is aware he's not that great at blocking.

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Most don't even watch players period before commenting on stuff

LMAO!  highlight reals only show pitts catching the ball.  All reports says he's lack luster in blocking.

Just now, falcons007 said:

Yep. I like Chase and Waddle, but  are they considered once in a generation talent like Pitts? No. Pitts is in uncharted territory if you consider his college production, wing span, measurable, speed and other factors. When did you see last TE prospect like him? No one knows what Pitts or any one in the draft will become in NFL. 

If you didn't know any better, you'd think the draft was a guaranteed thing rather than being a complete roll of the dice for all 32 teams reading this board

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Also, there are 3 wrs projected to go in the top 10 this year alone. There hasn't been a te prospect like pitts in at least 15 years. Wrs are a dime a dozen. 

Definitely not a dime a dozen seeing how they are compensated.  RBs are a dime a dozen.

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

If you didn't know any better, you'd think the draft was a guaranteed thing rather than being a complete roll of the dice for all 32 teams reading this board

Yep. Pitts is special compared to the TE prospects in the past few years. I will take the chances on the guy who was best at this point coming out of college. He could be what Aaron Hernandez couldn't be and more. 

Just now, BLM said:

LMAO!  highlight reals only show pitts catching the ball.  All reports says he's lack luster in blocking.

I literally just posted one showing him blocking though. Instead of searching for highlights, look for specific breakdowns. 

Also, form your own opinion based on what you see, not a dam report. Reports also said Lamar Jackson shouldn't be playing quarterback. If you base your opinion strictly on what someone else writes, your opinion is already flawed and irrelevant 

21 minutes ago, BLM said:

If Falcons draft Kyle Pitts at 4th, this regime is already doomed.  While I am in the camp that would like to see us draft Fields or Lance and ideally Fields, with Ryan's restructure, it just doesn't completely make sense to draft a QB.  So I am open to drafting at another position.

But a TE?  Come on man!

I don't care how good a TE is, a TE is not worth more than a WR.  Just look at player salaries.  The top WRs earn about $10M more than TEs.  There is 0, I mean 0, justification to draft a TE when you can grab someone like Chase, Waddle or Smith.  0 rationale.  A 3rd WR can run routes in the middle and can run any route a TE can.  Just look at the Rams and their 3 WR set.  Or the Packers.  Many good offenses don't have a dominant TE but instead know how to get a 3rd WR involved.   And with Julio Jones imminent retirement, a WR just makes sense.  TEs are like RBs.  Only transcendent players are worth a 1st rounder.  Top talents should only be had in the early second round.

Additionally, TEs take a while to develop.  I am talking 2 or 3 years.  WRs can make an impact in their first year.  Just look at the TEs drafted in the 1st, and their production in the first few years.  Noah Fant, Evan Engram, OJ Howard, Hayden Hurst, etc... All of these guys have had more hype than production.   Unless Pitts is a transcendent TE, there is absolutely 0 reason to draft him in the first round.  0.  If we restructure Ryan, that means our goal is to win now.  Drafting a TE in the first is NOT a win now move.  It's bad if you commit to Ryan, won't draft a QB, but instead end up drafting a TE, which basically suggests that you are still looking to win 3 years out as opposed to today, but choose a position of MUCH LESS importance.  If we need more weapons on offense, WR is the only choice if the goal is to win now.

And guess what, Pitts is NOT a transcendent TE.  Do you know why that is?  Well, a TE is a TE because a TE can block.  Pitts cannot block.  Read any scouting report, and it'll say that Pitts has issues in pass protection.  He is just ok at run blocking.

What this means is that Pitts is a large sized, glorified WR, and not a true TE.  Why draft a large WR, when you can draft an actual WR?  An actual WR will be much better at catching, route running, and gaining separation.  It's one thing if Pitts blocking ability makes up for not having elite route running.  But Pitts doesn't have that blocking ability.

If Falcons draft Kyle Pitts in the 1st, that along with hiring Chicago Bears OC and QB coaches (Bears have yet to develop a QB or run any sort of creative offense), along with Blank/McKay only planning to hire a coach that was willing to keep Ryan around (despite their misleading public statements), are already laying the groundwork for another average 5 years before we inevitably find another new coaching regime.

Dramatic much? 😂 And your argument that TEs are no more valuable than WRs holds no water. When you already have a stable full of Pro-Bowl caliber wideouts, adding a generational talent at TE makes crazy football sense. You say there is zero justification to take Pitts over Chase, Waddle or Smith? Quantify that with some sort of logic, because just saying that TEs take a longer time to develop than WRs is absurd. There are many examples in the annals of NFL history to shred your theory. It's one thing to have an opinion... even to be opinionated... but this post is something else. Have your opinion, brother, but sprinkle in some humility and some "I think's" here and there because none of us know what you claim to know; not even the guys who are paid millions of dollars to know. It's a proverbial crap shoot. 

6 minutes ago, Dirtier Bird said:

Can he play FS or maybe rush the passer? Maybe try him at LG. 

**** what I wouldn’t kill for a Kyle Pitts out of position SS Madden card in Madden 2022. Lol 6-6 great speed and hands 

those who don’t play Madden ultimate team  wouldn’t understand 

Edited by Aluminafalcon
1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

I literally just posted one showing him blocking though. Instead of searching for highlights, look for specific breakdowns. 

Also, form your own opinion based on what you see, not a dam report. Reports also said Lamar Jackson shouldn't be playing quarterback. If you base your opinion strictly on what someone else writes, your opinion is already flawed and irrelevant 

All major outlets have questions on Pitts blocking ability.  While I may not trust one website, if the majority say it, I'm gonna go with it. 

While I do think there's some exaggeration here...I do think there's a point.

You only take Pitts if you think he offers you the same as a receiving threat as the other guys.  His blocking will come along as he grows into his body to some extent, but you're really taking him because of his receiving ability.

So, do you think Pitts will be the same caliber receiver as Chase in the NFL?

I lean Chase, but it might be a Mike Evans vs Ridley type analysis...where they're just such different type players, but both have similar value.

Just now, SoCalFalconFan said:

Dramatic much? 😂 And your argument that TEs are no more valuable than WRs holds no water. When you already have a stable full of Pro-Bowl caliber wideouts, adding a generational talent at TE makes crazy football sense. You say there is zero justification to take Pitts over Chase, Waddle or Smith? Quantify that with some sort of logic, because just saying that TEs take a longer time to develop than WRs is absurd. There are many examples in the annals of NFL history to shred your theory. It's one thing to have an opinion... even to be opinionated... but this post is something else. Have your opinion, brother, but sprinkle in some humility and some "I think's" here and there because none of us know what you claim to know; not even the guys who are paid millions of dollars to know. It's a proverbial crap shoot. 

Dude, you can google search and see that TEs take longer to develop than WRs, because TEs need to learn the full playbook.

I'll post it again since you missed it

Just now, BLM said:

All major outlets have questions on Pitts blocking ability.  While I may not trust one website, if the majority say it, I'm gonna go with it. 

Since you overlooked it, judge for yourself. Don't be ignorant to reality