SMH Falcons drafting TE at 4th...Really BAD start for new Regime

If Falcons draft Kyle Pitts at 4th, this regime is already doomed.  While I am in the camp that would like to see us draft Fields or Lance and ideally Fields, with Ryan's restructure, it just doesn't completely make sense to draft a QB.  So I am open to drafting at another position.

But a TE?  Come on man!

I don't care how good a TE is, a TE is not worth more than a WR.  Just look at player salaries.  The top WRs earn about $10M more than TEs.  There is 0, I mean 0, justification to draft a TE when you can grab someone like Chase, Waddle or Smith.  0 rationale.  A 3rd WR can run routes in the middle and can run any route a TE can.  Just look at the Rams and their 3 WR set.  Or the Packers.  Many good offenses don't have a dominant TE but instead know how to get a 3rd WR involved.   And with Julio Jones imminent retirement, a WR just makes sense.  TEs are like RBs.  Only transcendent players are worth a 1st rounder.  Top talents should only be had in the early second round.

Additionally, TEs take a while to develop.  I am talking 2 or 3 years.  WRs can make an impact in their first year.  Just look at the TEs drafted in the 1st, and their production in the first few years.  Noah Fant, Evan Engram, OJ Howard, Hayden Hurst, etc... All of these guys have had more hype than production.   Unless Pitts is a transcendent TE, there is absolutely 0 reason to draft him in the first round.  0.  If we restructure Ryan, that means our goal is to win now.  Drafting a TE in the first is NOT a win now move.  It's bad if you commit to Ryan, won't draft a QB, but instead end up drafting a TE, which basically suggests that you are still looking to win 3 years out as opposed to today, but choose a position of MUCH LESS importance.  If we need more weapons on offense, WR is the only choice if the goal is to win now.

And guess what, Pitts is NOT a transcendent TE.  Do you know why that is?  Well, a TE is a TE because a TE can block.  Pitts cannot block.  Read any scouting report, and it'll say that Pitts has issues in pass protection.  He is just ok at run blocking.

What this means is that Pitts is a large sized, glorified WR, and not a true TE.  Why draft a large WR, when you can draft an actual WR?  An actual WR will be much better at catching, route running, and gaining separation.  It's one thing if Pitts blocking ability makes up for not having elite route running.  But Pitts doesn't have that blocking ability.

If Falcons draft Kyle Pitts in the 1st, that along with hiring Chicago Bears OC and QB coaches (Bears have yet to develop a QB or run any sort of creative offense), along with Blank/McKay only planning to hire a coach that was willing to keep Ryan around (despite their misleading public statements), are already laying the groundwork for another average 5 years before we inevitably find another new coaching regime.

Edited by BLM
  • Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But... What if you are wrong?

If Falcons draft Kyle Pitts at 4th, this regime is already doomed.  While I am in the camp that would like to see us draft Fields or Lance and ideally Fields, with Ryan's restructure, it just doesn't

I wasn't sure about Pitts. After reading this post, I am convinced he should be the guy at #4.

Posted Images

Just now, BLM said:

If Falcons draft Kyle Pitts at 4th, this regime is already doomed.  While I am in the camp that would like to see us draft Fields or Lance and ideally Fields, with Ryan's restructure, it just doesn't completely make sense to draft a QB.  So I am open to drafting at another position.

But a TE?  Come on man!

I don't care how good a TE is, a TE is not worth more than a WR.  Just look at player salaries.  The top WRs earn about $10M more than TEs.  There is 0, I mean 0, justification to draft a TE when you can grab someone like Chase, Waddle or Smith.  0 rationale.  A 3rd WR can run routes in the middle and can run any route a TE can.  Just look at the Rams and their 3 WR set.  Or the Packers.  Many good offenses don't have a dominant TE but instead know how to get a 3rd WR involved.   And with Julio Jones imminent retirement, a WR just makes sense.  TEs are like RBs.  Only transcendent players are worth a 1st rounder.  Top talents should only be had in the early second round.

Additionally, TEs take a while to develop.  I am talking 2 or 3 years.  WRs can make an impact in their first year.  Just look at the TEs drafted in the 1st, and their production in the first few years.  Noah Fant, Evan Engram, OJ Howard, Hayden Hurst, etc... All of these guys have had more hype than production.   Unless Pitts is a transcendent TE, there is absolutely 0 reason to draft in him the first round.  0.  If we restructure Ryan, that means our goal is to win now.  Drafting a TE in the first is NOT a win now move.

And guess what, Pitts is NOT a transcendent TE.  Do you know why that is?  Well, a TE is a TE because a TE can block.  Pitts cannot block.  Read any scouting report, and it'll say that Pitts has issues in pass protection.  He is just ok at run blocking.

What this means is that Pitts is a large sized, glorified WR, and not a true TE.  Why draft a large WR, when you can draft an actual WR?

If Falcons draft Kyle Pitts in the 1st, that along with hiring Chicago Bears OC and QB coaches (Bears have yet to develop a QB or run any sort of creative offense), along with Blank/McKay only planning to hire a coach that was willing to keep Ryan around (despite their misleading public statements), are already laying the groundwork for another average 5 years before we inevitably find another new coaching regime.

disagree that a great TE isn't worth as much as a wr.  I'd take Travis Kelce over just about any wr.  And the fact that they don't cost as much makes them even more valuable.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, abcranford2 said:

disagree that a great TE isn't worth as much as a wr.  I'd take Travis Kelce over just about any wr.  And the fact that they don't cost as much makes them even more valuable.

Yes, that's very true.  QBs paid most because QBs most valuable.  The market is how it is, based on the value of a position to the team.  And you picked the only 1 TE out of many that does well.  Kelce wasn't even drafted in the 1st.  Pitts is no Kelce.  Kelce can catch and block.  The comparisons are nonsense.

Every 1st round TE has been over hyped and under performed.  

Edited by BLM

The te position has evolved just like you jabronis constantly talk about the qb position evolving. This isn't the 90s anymore. The te position is used to create constant mismatches because they have to be covered by a safety or a lb.

You're just butthurt because we aren't drafting a qb

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

The te position has evolved just like you jabronis constantly talk about the qb position evolving. This isn't the 90s anymore. The te position is used to create constant mismatches because they have to be covered by a safety or a lb.

You're just butthurt because we aren't drafting a qb

How about you tell me which TE drafted in the 1 in recent years was worth being drafted in 1.  Speak with facts, not with emotion.

WRs >>>> TEs.  WRs can run routes in the middle of the field too.    Pitts can't block.  He's a poor man's WR.

Edited by BLM
2 minutes ago, Precyse said:

Because you can put him back at TE and beat linebackers anytime 

Tell that to the many other 1st round TEs that were supposed to do that as well.  Not to mention, TEs take 2-3 years to develop.  

Completely right if we are get a receiver we need someone who dominated the SEC. made first round corners look like third rate rate chums. Somebody who the only way nick Saban could think to slow him down was defensive holding on every play. That’s the kind of person we need to replace an aging Julio and the possibility of either Ridley or hurst going else where. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Aluminafalcon said:

Completely right if we are get a receiver we need someone who dominated the SEC. made first round corners look like third rate rate chums. Somebody who the only way nick Saban could think to slow him down was defensive holding on every play. That’s the kind of person we need to replace an aging Julio and the possibility of either Ridley or hurst going else where. 

It makes 0 sense to draft TE when top WRs on the board.  If Pitts is at the top of the second, by all means draft him.  But h'es not even a complete player at his true position.  He can't block.  He can' catch, but so can WRs.  

Not to mention, Falcons being win now, TEs don't start making impact uuntil 2-3 years from now...

Edited by BLM
14 minutes ago, BLM said:

Yes, that's very true.  QBs paid most because QBs most valuable.  The market is how it is, based on the value of a position to the team.  And you picked the only 1 TE out of many that does well.  Kelce wasn't even drafted in the 1st.  Pitts is no Kelce.  Kelce can catch and block.  The comparisons are nonsense.

That's the same argument people have for qb's...Most qb's drafted in the top 5 aren't that good and almost all of them have under performed.

16 minutes ago, BLM said:

Also, Pitts can catch and block too so....