Rumors Fly Connecting Broncos to Falcon's No. 4 Pick After Atlanta Opens for Business - SI.com

On 4/9/2021 at 8:51 AM, FalconsGM said:

Exactly, an Elite O-Line. It is very dangerous, because it allows the play to develop. Too many teams prefer bad o-line, elite QB, it's a shame. For me the example to follow is the Colts, I love Chris Ballard he is the best GM in my eyes, he has understood everything about how to build an NFL team.

Even if for me the most important part of an O-Line is the left side, often the blind side of the QB. My order is LT-LG-RT-C-RG, I don't know if you agree with me

Bucs won SB with massive defense improvement over last 2 years.

To your point, when they added Brady they also added a couple more weapons (AB and Gronk) while drafting Wirfs and the OL + LF and Jones were a great surrounding of an aged pocket QB to be able to air it out like Tom hadn’t done for a couple years in NE.

If the Falcons see Sewell as good or better than Wirfs as a prospect, maybe that’s the move.

That’s where the idea of trading down with WFT would have merit if it were for Chase Young essentially; decide on moving up from 19 for a defender in the teens or not afterward.

But that’s less likely. I think Denver, CHI or NE are our more likely trade partners; especially an AFC team.

I’m not opposed to Pitts if he could become a Kelce or Gronk either. That’s where evaluating TE and OL "as is" on roster and future plans are essential if it’s down to a receiver or OL at 4; in a non-trade down scenario.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The lions have a buttload of future picks thanks to their trade with the Rams. Do they want to throw all that into the mix for the 4th or 5th best QB in this draft or wait until next year and get the

This would put us in a perfect spot to get parsons or surtain. I'm leaning parsons though because when you watch him on the field his instincts are off the charts. A lot of times he's where the ball c

On that front, Breer suggested the Detroit Lions are a team to “keep an eye on” to potentially jump the Broncos in the race for a QB. DET is in perfect spot with Stafford trade. They can trade up

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Bucs won SB with massive defense improvement over last 2 years.

To your point, when they added Brady they also added a couple more weapons (AB and Gronk) while drafting Wirfs and the OL + LF and Jones were a great surrounding of an aged pocket QB to be able to air it out like Tom hadn’t done for a couple years in NE.

If the Falcons see Sewell as good or better than Wirfs as a prospect, maybe that’s the move.

That’s where the idea of trading down with WFT would have merit if it were for Chase Young essentially; decide on moving up from 19 for a defender in the teens or not afterward.

But that’s less likely. I think Denver, CHI or NE are our more like trade partners; especially an AFC team.

I’m not opposed to Pitts if he could become a Kelce or Gronk either. That’s where evaluating TE and OL as is on roster and future plans are essential if it’s down to a receiver or OL at 4; in a non-trade down scenario.

Yes it's true, then there is the intelligence of Tom to take less money to continue to win superbowl. This should be the strategy of all QB's especially the pocket QB's who will now play until 40 years old minimum. And as a result he wins the good players who don't have a ring, want to play with him for less money to get a ring because he keeps winning and so he keeps winning as the roster is good every year a winning QB is important and building an O-Line is important because the two go together. 

TB's defense has been countered very smartly with top 15 picks in the last few years, but it also helps with trades and drafting smart players. 

Penei Sewell has more potential than Tristan Wirfs in my opinion, but he is day 1 ready too. But I like him but I'll have to put him in RT though

If we get Chase Young + pick 19 or more, I swear the Falcons will win the draft if Sewell drops. Wow

The smartest thing is to go down to 9 and then 15 to accumulate the maximum of capital draft this year and next year while keeping a top 15 pick. 

I like Pitts a lot but for me a TE doesn't make you a game, so in 4 it's a no for me. If he drops to the 2nd maybe probable, but you have to take him otherwise no. He's going to be the best TE there ever was but there's more important than a TE in a team, look what AS did with Jonnu Smith a 100 pick. I'd rather take Brevin Jordan and develop Kenny Yeboah in case Hayden Hurst demands too much money in 2 years. OL in 4 is acceptable to me, even if I prefer a trade down

4 minutes ago, FalconsGM said:

Yes it's true, then there is the intelligence of Tom to take less money to continue to win superbowl. This should be the strategy of all QB's especially the pocket QB's who will now play until 40 years old minimum. And as a result he wins the good players who don't have a ring, want to play with him for less money to get a ring because he keeps winning and so he keeps winning as the roster is good every year a winning QB is important and building an O-Line is important because the two go together. 

TB's defense has been countered very smartly with top 15 picks in the last few years, but it also helps with trades and drafting smart players. 

Penei Sewell has more potential than Tristan Wirfs in my opinion, but he is day 1 ready too. But I like him but I'll have to put him in RT though

If we get Chase Young + pick 19 or more, I swear the Falcons will win the draft if Sewell drops. Wow

The smartest thing is to go down to 9 and then 15 to accumulate the maximum of capital draft this year and next year while keeping a top 15 pick. 

I like Pitts a lot but for me a TE doesn't make you a game, so in 4 it's a no for me. If he drops to the 2nd maybe probable, but you have to take him otherwise no. He's going to be the best TE there ever was but there's more important than a TE in a team, look what AS did with Jonnu Smith a 100 pick. I'd rather take Brevin Jordan and develop Kenny Yeboah in case Hayden Hurst demands too much money in 2 years. OL in 4 is acceptable to me, even if I prefer a trade down

Hayden is a FA next offseason and based off what Jonnu just got in an offseason where teams were broke, Hayden has a chance to get paid way more than what he is worth next year.

5 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Hayden is a FA next offseason and based off what Jonnu just got in an offseason where teams were broke, Hayden has a chance to get paid way more than what he is worth next year.

The Falcons will probably take the 5th year option, knowing that it is only 5.428M so he will be FA in 2023. But in 2023 he will get a lot of money and he deserves it. 

51 minutes ago, FalconsGM said:

Excellent post. Pitts is instant gratification for me, in that I know for a fact Ryan would utilize him very well in the Red; that's not even counting year 2 growth. It took a lesser talent in Hooper to develop rapport with Ryan, but Pitts has the largest wingspan of any TE in a long time. IIRC Math Bomb who posts RAS scores highlighted this.

We have seen Ryan utilize Hooper and Tony G.

He would DESTROY teams in the RZ if Ridley or Pitts were 1 on 1...Now imagine Julio always getting 1 on 1.

That's 3 guys that MUST get double teamed at SOME point. Add in a better run game and decent RBBC; or a RB by round 3 or 4 this year?

The key here is what does the defense get? And, that's the hang up...because we have SO many holes on defense and cap concerns...it may be too luxurious NOT to trade down.

On the flip side, Sewell protects Matt better for longer developing plays and we don't need the best weapons if the system is better anyway.

I would plug Sewell in at RT and work Kaleb to RG...flip Lindstrom to LG. That would give us a strong run game to the right side and Chris pass blocking with solidify Henny or whomever at C....then again, is Gono in play if AS truly let's everyone earn their job? And, if so, where is Gono projecting better in AS's eyes?

To me, ALL of that...is why it's so hard to figure what they would do EVEN if staying at 4.

The best move is down to 9 and fleecing Elway for blocking Kubiak. Then, you get BPA there and enough capital to move around for more BPA this draft if so desired.

46 minutes ago, FalconsGM said:

The Falcons will probably take the 5th year option, knowing that it is only 5.428M so he will be FA in 2023. But in 2023 he will get a lot of money and he deserves it. 

It seems likely with Hurst to get his 5th year and sign Calvin long-term rather than him PLAYING on year 5.

Good news is, we have a year to see what Calvin will do and also Julio...we are 1 year away from deciding on their future paths.

Hurst's year 5 being a one-time cap hit and back-loading Calvin seems more likely if we keep both for 2022. Calvin with a big 2022 would have earned a long-term deal and Hurst would be trying to establish his market one more year in. Year 2 with Matt could be huge for Hayden in AS's offense...especially if Julio and Calvin have a healthy year.

3 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Excellent post. Pitts is instant gratification for me, in that I know for a fact Ryan would utilize him very well in the Red; that's not even counting year 2 growth. It took a lesser talent in Hooper to develop rapport with Ryan, but Pitts has the largest wingspan of any TE in a long time. IIRC Math Bomb who posts RAS scores highlighted this.

We have seen Ryan utilize Hooper and Tony G.

He would DESTROY teams in the RZ if Ridley or Pitts were 1 on 1...Now imagine Julio always getting 1 on 1.

That's 3 guys that MUST get double teamed at SOME point. Add in a better run game and decent RBBC; or a RB by round 3 or 4 this year?

The key here is what does the defense get? And, that's the hang up...because we have SO many holes on defense and cap concerns...it may be too luxurious NOT to trade down.

On the flip side, Sewell protects Matt better for longer developing plays and we don't need the best weapons if the system is better anyway.

I would plug Sewell in at RT and work Kaleb to RG...flip Lindstrom to LG. That would give us a strong run game to the right side and Chris pass blocking with solidify Henny or whomever at C....then again, is Gono in play if AS truly let's everyone earn their job? And, if so, where is Gono projecting better in AS's eyes?

To me, ALL of that...is why it's so hard to figure what they would do EVEN if staying at 4.

The best move is down to 9 and fleecing Elway for blocking Kubiak. Then, you get BPA there and enough capital to move around for more BPA this draft if so desired.

Yeah totally agree with you with Pitts in this offense, it creates the best all time offense. But taking a TE in 4 or even 9 is way too high.

TE is not our problem it's the defense, the offense will be top 5 next year no problem but the defense has to be strengthened to be top 10 for me you have to draft Caleb Farley and Azeez Ojulari or Christian Barmore in the first round in my opinion they will both be there between 20-30 and with the picks accumulated we can trade for a 1 round giving a 2nd round + 4 and 5. And if Azeez Ojulari drops in the 2nd round we take him and then draft Andre Cisco in the 3-4th round. And that way the defense will already be strengthened in my opinion. Potentially get Kenny Vaccaro if we have to. 

I'm more of a Creed Humphrey at center to replace Mack, but moving Chris to LG I'm all for it. Then put Kaleb at RG for a season like you said.

I am more for need and if there is not the desired players BPA or trade down

3 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

It seems likely with Hurst to get his 5th year and sign Calvin long-term rather than him PLAYING on year 5.

Good news is, we have a year to see what Calvin will do and also Julio...we are 1 year away from deciding on their future paths.

Hurst's year 5 being a one-time cap hit and back-loading Calvin seems more likely if we keep both for 2022. Calvin with a big 2022 would have earned a long-term deal and Hurst would be trying to establish his market one more year in. Year 2 with Matt could be huge for Hayden in AS's offense...especially if Julio and Calvin have a healthy year.

The smartest thing will be to extend Calvin on the long term but little money at first and then trade him like the Vikings did with Diggs. 

Hayden Hurst will perform well for the next 2 seasons and will take a big contract elsewhere. 

The offense will be less passing and more running so we'll have to see. The stats will be less impressive for the players but the offense will be more efficient.