Jump to content

Rumors Fly Connecting Broncos to Falcon's No. 4 Pick After Atlanta Opens for Business - SI.com


Recommended Posts

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/denver-broncos-connected-to-atlanta-falcons-no-4-pick-as-rumors-fly

 

Rumors Fly Connecting Broncos to Falcon's No. 4 Pick After Atlanta Opens for Business

Are the Broncos among the NFL teams calling the Falcons about the fourth overall pick? Here's why the rumor mill is churning out Broncos buzz.
KEITH CUMMINGS
UPDATED:
APR 7, 2021
ORIGINAL:
APR 6, 2021

To the untrained eye, it might appear that Denver Broncos GM George Paton is using a process of elimination to clarify his options at quarterback.

That being said, Sam Darnold getting dealt to the Carolina Panthers on Monday does leave the cupboard increasing bare for veteran signal-callers. But, when one door closes another opens, and rumors now point towards the Broncos using the NFL draft to solve their quarterback conundrum.

Interestingly, Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer reported that the Atlanta Falcons could be fielding offers for their No. 4 overall pick. ESPN's Adam Schefter corroborated on Tuesday. 

Could the Broncos be among the teams phoning into Atlanta? Many rumors and much speculation purports just that, though there has been nothing solid to hang one's hat on. Pro Football Focus just projected the Broncos to trade up to pick No. 4 to draft North Dakota Stae's Trey Lance. 

Scott Kennedy of AllFalcons.com summed up why the Broncos are being linked and rumored to be among the teams that have called new Atlanta GM Terry Fontenot about the No. 4 overall pick. 

The Broncos appear to be a perfect trade partner for the Falcons. The draft is deep with impact players in the Top 10, and the Broncos pick ninth.

The Broncos have the ninth and the 40th pick in this draft. It would cost at least the Broncos second round pick to move from nine to four, and the precedent is closer to three second round picks across multiple drafts.

The Falcons could then bundle their pair of second rounders and trade back into the first round, or stockpile several players to fill positions of need including safety, running back and defensive line, assuming Surtain is taken with the first pick.

This isn’t to say the Falcons and Broncos are the team most likely to make a deal, but it’s one of the teams that makes the most sense.

Quarterbacks are now locked on to go 1-2-3 to open the draft with Clemson's Trevor Lawrence projected first to Jacksonville, BYU's Zach Wilson projected second to the Jets, and San Francisco having the pick of the litter of Lance, Ohio State's Justin Fields, and Alabama's Mac Jones. San Francisco will land its QB, meaning the Falcons' No. 4 pick becomes a crucial draft pivot point to facilitate any team in the market to guarantee a premium passer.

Inevitably, that will drive the price up on Paton should he opt to join the party, but the clamor to move up has to be measured against what is sure to emerge as stiff competition for the Falcons' draft spot. On that front, Breer suggested the Detroit Lions are a team to “keep an eye on” to potentially jump the Broncos in the race for a QB.

Trying to divine Paton's intentions has become a full-time job, but what has become clear is that he still values Drew Lock highly enough to not just simply replace him with a like-for-like addition. Some further proof came with how he tapped out on potential trades for Matthew Stafford, Carson Wentz, and now Darnold.

Sticking with Lock as the starter might even prove less risky than breaking in a rookie QB for next season, especially with Vic Fangio on the purported hot seat. While the options certainly appear to be dwindling for Paton, his stealthy approach could still see things fall in his lap should he hold firm to pick ninth.

There is life beyond drafting a QB in the top-10 for the Broncos, and while that might be considered to be out-of-the-box thinking these days among many fans, Paton's view of the position relative to the team's remaining roster needs are what will ultimately take precedence.

Keith Cummings

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The lions have a buttload of future picks thanks to their trade with the Rams. Do they want to throw all that into the mix for the 4th or 5th best QB in this draft or wait until next year and get the

This would put us in a perfect spot to get parsons or surtain. I'm leaning parsons though because when you watch him on the field his instincts are off the charts. A lot of times he's where the ball c

On that front, Breer suggested the Detroit Lions are a team to “keep an eye on” to potentially jump the Broncos in the race for a QB. DET is in perfect spot with Stafford trade. They can trade up

On that front, Breer suggested the Detroit Lions are a team to “keep an eye on” to potentially jump the Broncos in the race for a QB.

DET is in perfect spot with Stafford trade. They can trade up and share some of that loot with Falcons to get their future QB. Trade Goff next year and get more picks. If a one or two year rental guy like Darnold could get picks, Goff will probably get more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/denver-broncos-connected-to-atlanta-falcons-no-4-pick-as-rumors-fly

 

Rumors Fly Connecting Broncos to Falcon's No. 4 Pick After Atlanta Opens for Business

Are the Broncos among the NFL teams calling the Falcons about the fourth overall pick? Here's why the rumor mill is churning out Broncos buzz.
KEITH CUMMINGS
UPDATED:
APR 7, 2021
ORIGINAL:
APR 6, 2021

To the untrained eye, it might appear that Denver Broncos GM George Paton is using a process of elimination to clarify his options at quarterback.

That being said, Sam Darnold getting dealt to the Carolina Panthers on Monday does leave the cupboard increasing bare for veteran signal-callers. But, when one door closes another opens, and rumors now point towards the Broncos using the NFL draft to solve their quarterback conundrum.

Interestingly, Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer reported that the Atlanta Falcons could be fielding offers for their No. 4 overall pick. ESPN's Adam Schefter corroborated on Tuesday. 

Could the Broncos be among the teams phoning into Atlanta? Many rumors and much speculation purports just that, though there has been nothing solid to hang one's hat on. Pro Football Focus just projected the Broncos to trade up to pick No. 4 to draft North Dakota Stae's Trey Lance. 

Scott Kennedy of AllFalcons.com summed up why the Broncos are being linked and rumored to be among the teams that have called new Atlanta GM Terry Fontenot about the No. 4 overall pick. 

The Broncos appear to be a perfect trade partner for the Falcons. The draft is deep with impact players in the Top 10, and the Broncos pick ninth.

The Broncos have the ninth and the 40th pick in this draft. It would cost at least the Broncos second round pick to move from nine to four, and the precedent is closer to three second round picks across multiple drafts.

The Falcons could then bundle their pair of second rounders and trade back into the first round, or stockpile several players to fill positions of need including safety, running back and defensive line, assuming Surtain is taken with the first pick.

This isn’t to say the Falcons and Broncos are the team most likely to make a deal, but it’s one of the teams that makes the most sense.

Quarterbacks are now locked on to go 1-2-3 to open the draft with Clemson's Trevor Lawrence projected first to Jacksonville, BYU's Zach Wilson projected second to the Jets, and San Francisco having the pick of the litter of Lance, Ohio State's Justin Fields, and Alabama's Mac Jones. San Francisco will land its QB, meaning the Falcons' No. 4 pick becomes a crucial draft pivot point to facilitate any team in the market to guarantee a premium passer.

Inevitably, that will drive the price up on Paton should he opt to join the party, but the clamor to move up has to be measured against what is sure to emerge as stiff competition for the Falcons' draft spot. On that front, Breer suggested the Detroit Lions are a team to “keep an eye on” to potentially jump the Broncos in the race for a QB.

Trying to divine Paton's intentions has become a full-time job, but what has become clear is that he still values Drew Lock highly enough to not just simply replace him with a like-for-like addition. Some further proof came with how he tapped out on potential trades for Matthew Stafford, Carson Wentz, and now Darnold.

Sticking with Lock as the starter might even prove less risky than breaking in a rookie QB for next season, especially with Vic Fangio on the purported hot seat. While the options certainly appear to be dwindling for Paton, his stealthy approach could still see things fall in his lap should he hold firm to pick ninth.

There is life beyond drafting a QB in the top-10 for the Broncos, and while that might be considered to be out-of-the-box thinking these days among many fans, Paton's view of the position relative to the team's remaining roster needs are what will ultimately take precedence.

Keith Cummings

I just saw a rumor that the Broncos might want Teddy Bridgewater, actually this news with the Darnold to the Panthers might be worse than it seems. Because of this we could lose the 2 top 10 pick teams that could have traded for the 4. I feel like we need to stop dragging our feet on the pick 4 because time is becoming our enemy in my opinion, if we want a top 10 pick swap of course

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I can see the Falcons wanting to drop to @ 15 or so.  That's where the defensive value is.  Then we pick 20 picks later and inevitably someone with a first round grade will slide to us.  Add to that extra picks, and we are gold.  Could easily net three starters, and several more who will contribute.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Honestly, I can see the Falcons wanting to drop to @ 15 or so.  That's where the defensive value is.  Then we pick 20 picks later and inevitably someone with a first round grade will slide to us.  Add to that extra picks, and we are gold.  Could easily net three starters, and several more who will contribute.  

 

Dropping that far needs to net a 2022 1st in the deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, FalconsGM said:

I just saw a rumor that the Broncos might want Teddy Bridgewater, actually this news with the Darnold to the Panthers might be worse than it seems. Because of this we could lose the 2 top 10 pick teams that could have traded for the 4. I feel like we need to stop dragging our feet on the pick 4 because time is becoming our enemy in my opinion, if we want a top 10 pick swap of course

As has been seen on multiple teams, Teddy is a bridge QB. I doubt Denver will take him to replace the guy they have. He's not a franchise QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually if the 49ers do take Mac then this scenario could be even better for the Falcons.  Trade with Detroit and they take Fields and that still leaves Lance, and if Lance is who Denver wants then the Falcons could try and trade that Pick to Denver and get even more Picks...This would be my favorite scenario, if Pitts is off the boards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, FalconsGM said:

I just saw a rumor that the Broncos might want Teddy Bridgewater, actually this news with the Darnold to the Panthers might be worse than it seems. Because of this we could lose the 2 top 10 pick teams that could have traded for the 4. I feel like we need to stop dragging our feet on the pick 4 because time is becoming our enemy in my opinion, if we want a top 10 pick swap of course

I think Broncos getting Teddy would still result in a trade. 

 

Teddy is not guaranteed at all (look at Carolina swapping Darnold for him). 

 

If I were the Broncos I'd get Teddy and then draft a QB of the future to learn behind him for a season (if Teddy makes it a full season). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

As has been seen on multiple teams, Teddy is a bridge QB. I doubt Denver will take him to replace the guy they have. He's not a franchise QB.

I don't know, the Denver Broncos are a team that just needs a QB. They can have a great defense with Vic Fangio and Pat Shurmur was OC while Teddy was with the Vikings so it doesn't seem impossible Pat went far with Case Keenum as QB. To be seen 

Link to post
Share on other sites

First of, this looks like an SI affiliated fan blog, and even still, this is just more speculation for the sake of getting clicks.  Secondly, why does Denver need to trade up to 4 if they want a QB? Cincy and Miami are not taking QB's at 5 and 6.  Detroit is unlikely to at 7.  Carolina just traded 3 draft picks for Sam Darnold along with picking up the 5th-year option on his contract.  While CAR could still take a QB at 8 if a guy they like is there, the scenario is much less likely now.  Even then, Denver could trade up to 7 to get ahead of Carolina with less draft capital than they'd spend to come up to 4.  Nonetheless, Denver can likely stay where they are and take a QB now if that is the direction they want to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Al Bruce said:

First of, this looks like an SI affiliated fan blog, and even still, this is just more speculation for the sake of getting clicks.  Secondly, why does Denver need to trade up to 4 if they want a QB? Cincy and Miami are not taking QB's at 5 and 6.  Detroit is unlikely to at 7.  Carolina just traded 3 draft picks for Sam Darnold along with picking up the 5th-year option on his contract.  While CAR could still take a QB at 8 if a guy they like is there, the scenario is much less likely now.  Even then, Denver could trade up to 7 to get ahead of Carolina with less draft capital than they'd spend to come up to 4.  Nonetheless, Denver can likely stay where they are and take a QB now if that is the direction they want to go.

Because NE wants to move up for a QB as does Chicago and possibly WFT. You snooze, you lose in the QB raffle. Or they can wait until someone leaps up to 4 and take the 5th best guy if they trade up with Detroit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Al Bruce said:

First of, this looks like an SI affiliated fan blog, and even still, this is just more speculation for the sake of getting clicks.  Secondly, why does Denver need to trade up to 4 if they want a QB? Cincy and Miami are not taking QB's at 5 and 6.  Detroit is unlikely to at 7.  Carolina just traded 3 draft picks for Sam Darnold along with picking up the 5th-year option on his contract.  While CAR could still take a QB at 8 if a guy they like is there, the scenario is much less likely now.  Even then, Denver could trade up to 7 to get ahead of Carolina with less draft capital than they'd spend to come up to 4.  Nonetheless, Denver can likely stay where they are and take a QB now if that is the direction they want to go.

You are talkig as if only Denver wants a QB... any team can give picks to trade up to 4,5,6,7 and 8.. any team can be entice to move down with a proper offer... but if you are zero in on 2 prospects like Lance,Fields or Mac being at 4 guaranties you having one of them... that is why trading up to 4 would be ideal... 

Also Denver has a very good young offensive team they would want to grow the new QB with this players.. they don't have glaring needs only at QB... so it makes a lot of sense to trade up for one...

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

As has been seen on multiple teams, Teddy is a bridge QB. I doubt Denver will take him to replace the guy they have. He's not a franchise QB.

Agree. Good enough to come off the bench in a pinch, or make spot starts. Ultimately, Bridgewater is just a bridge over trouble waters and little else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, andrews31cain21 said:

Actually if the 49ers do take Mac then this scenario could be even better for the Falcons.  Trade with Detroit and they take Fields and that still leaves Lance, and if Lance is who Denver wants then the Falcons could try and trade that Pick to Denver and get even more Picks...This would be my favorite scenario, if Pitts is off the boards.

Yeah if SF takes Mac, the trade offers should be off the chain. I'm hoping. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

I think Broncos getting Teddy would still result in a trade. 

 

Teddy is not guaranteed at all (look at Carolina swapping Darnold for him). 

 

If I were the Broncos I'd get Teddy and then draft a QB of the future to learn behind him for a season (if Teddy makes it a full season). 

Yes, there is a trade. But not with us is what I mean.

And yes a QB behind Teddy to learn, but the problem is that there is Drew Lock and I don't see them draft a QB in the first round and giving away much for the pick 4. If they trade for Teddy it's CB in Round 1 and if they don't trade for Teddy it's a QB in the first round. 

I don't see them having 3 starter QB's after the draft, even if it would help to know which one is really the right one

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, celtiksage said:

Yeah if SF takes Mac, the trade offers should be off the chain. I'm hoping. 

I think everybody is assuming Mac to SF... and that is why we are getting calls.. I am sure we have been offer some picks but not enough...  I just doesn't make sense for Denver, WFT,Chicago to go into the season with those QBs... because they have good rosters they are a QB away to being competitive/to really good...

I would take Fields over any of their starting QB right now.. as simple as that... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fernando C. said:

You are talkig as if only Denver wants a QB... any team can give picks to trade up to 4,5,6,7 and 8.. any team can be entice to move down with a proper offer... but if you are zero in on 2 prospects like Lance,Fields or Mac being at 4 guaranties you having one of them... that is why trading up to 4 would be ideal... 

Also Denver has a very good young offensive team they would want to grow the new QB with this players.. they don't have glaring needs only at QB... so it makes a lot of sense to trade up for one...

Exactly that. If all you need is a QB, you go get him, and moving to 4, you can spend a lot less than the rest that are trying to come up from 15 or below.

As a matter of fact, TF would probably rather be at 9 than 15.

I disagree with you in only about moving up to 4-8. Don't think Carolina won't take a QB if Fields or Lance are sitting there. Miami also isn't moving. Cinci historically rarely moves and they are set to take anyone they want other than a QB. I think the only move options a team has is 4 or 7 if they want a QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...