Chris Mortensen: Fontenot wants Trey Lance, Arthur Smith wants to stick with Matt Ryan

1 hour ago, stizz said:

Anyone that has watched the videos showing them meeting and talking about working together could see these are just two different people who might not mesh, and I liked that aspect to get away from the buddy buddy mess that has been going on throughout this organization. 

I agree to a point.  I think it’s good to have different backgrounds and ideas to balance each other out vs a group think mentality.  Challenging each other is the best way to build a strong team.  That said, they need to share a vision and direction, which I believe they do.  I believe this is all smoke and mirrors to make people think anything is possible with that pick and they likely behind closed doors already know what they are going to do with it depending on different scenarios and who goes at picks 2 & 3.  I’m surprised the report wasn’t “TF wants a QB and AS wants a TE and Blank wants a WR and Pees wants to trade down to build defense and....” just to cover every possible scenario.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Matt Ryan has 3-5 years left in the tank.

FWIW, this screams smoke screen. Why would Mortensen know this info unless it was purposefully leaked by someone within the Falcons? GM wants this, HC wants that, keeps everyone else guessing. 

I guess that's what happens when you don't let the GM hire the head coach.

2 hours ago, kenn.junior said:

I still dont understand that if the falcons really wanted to pick lance why would they trade with someone they would just pick him at 4 if they say we are not picking a qb then that would make sense to trade down but they havent said that so to me that means QB is a option at 4

The Falcons are aware that there are teams below them that want a quarterback. With the 49ers and Panther moves, the qb market in the draft is tighter. If the Falcons put information out there that they want Lance, it could make a team wanting a quarterback over pay the Falcons for the 4th pick so that THAT team can grab Lance. Its a good move by the Falcons if that is what they are doing...

2 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

The Falcons are aware that there are teams below them that want a quarterback. With the 49ers and Panther moves, the qb market in the draft is tighter. If the Falcons put information out there that they want Lance, it could make a team wanting a quarterback over pay the Falcons for the 4th pick so that THAT team can grab Lance. Its a good move by the Falcons if that is what they are doing..,

But if the falcons truly want lance no trade is gonna make them move out that pick and not pick that franchise player that they want. you think the chiefs would accept a bunch of picks for mahomes cuz I dont

29 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

I would think TF trumps AS...this is the way it should be.

Not the way they did that when TD and DQ were here ... Mr. Blank wanted the coach to have his way

1 hour ago, kenn.junior said:

But if the falcons truly want lance no trade is gonna make them move out that pick and not pick that franchise player that they want. you think the chiefs would accept a bunch of picks for mahomes cuz I dont

The point is they probably don't want Lance and are just using him as bait to get more or better picks in a trade...

Just now, Spts1 said:

The point is they probably don't want Lance and is just using him as bait to get more or better picks in a trade...

Yep it'd tip our hand if we named a QB or started blabbering about soandso... this is a perfect misdirection to accumulate interest in #4. 

The one good thing is it is guaranteed any team that trades with us will get one of the top QBs (not that they're mind-blowing, but it is a sure thing as opposed to hoping someone falls). 

The last time we ‘smoke screened’ wanting a QB, someone leap frogged us, instead of trading with us.

Listen, it could be a smoke screen, but Miami was just quiet and got a haul before the draft. Maybe everything ain’t a smoke screen. Just enjoy the ride gents

47 minutes ago, insight said:

That's the problem, the Falcons do not have the appropriate assets to raise a Lombardi in the near future, and no money to acquire more blue chip assets. 

But in that forementioned scenario where we trade Matt within the next 2 years (provided that we have a replacement) we'd get assets and money. Nobody would complain if the replacement and the assets led us to a Super Bowl.

As I stated before I wanted to point out that it isn't impossible to move on if they wanted to.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

idk why y'all think the Falcons are smokescreening. The top 3 are set, no one is jumping us so there's zero reason to think ATL is playing mind games.

Hopefully our FO doesn't out think themselves like you guys are doing.

Because if a team thinks we could go QB they’ll be calling to see if we can be talked out of it. And if a team thinks we wanna trade down other teams will be calling because again they might want the QB that’s left over.

7 minutes ago, Malachore said:

idk why y'all think the Falcons are smoke screening. The top 3 are set, no one is jumping us so there's zero reason to think ATL is playing mind games.

Hopefully our FO doesn't out think themselves like you guys are doing.

Why would they have no reason to play mind games? They absolutely do if they're trying to sell the pick. There's never not a reason for mind games....come on now

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Why would they have no reason to play mind games? They absolutely do if they're trying to sell the pick. There's never not a reason for mind games....come on now

Because if they really want a QB they aren't trading the pick to a team that is.

6 hours ago, dirtybirds233 said:

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2021/4/6/22369102/nfl-draft-rumor-terry-fontenot-wants-to-draft-qb-arthur-smith-thinks-matt-ryan-has-2-years-left

"What I’m hearing is that [Terry] Fontenot is more focused on quarterback, and Arthur Smith believes that Matt Ryan does have two or more years left. He has no real medical history, he hasn’t missed many games in his career and there hasn’t been a big drop off in his play. One thing I do hear though is that if they do go quarterback at No. 4, then Trey Lance is probably the guy."

I've already been quoted as saying that here on the boards (AS wants to stick it out two more years, Fontenot wants a QB). It'd be a huge franchise mistake to go with Trey Lance at the #4 pick in the NFL draft. He's more of a 3rd-5th round pick that has been senselessly hyped. Take Justin Fields or Kyle Pitts (the two best athletes that fill our needs).

1 minute ago, Draftnut57 said:

Well, as a QB, Fields is my choice,  as the 0# top player, Pitts is my choice ,, But I've Changed up after much thought and study of the draft and our team..  I'm hoping now that we take the top two DEs.  

Fowler is a decent DE and Takk unfortunately got let go. To me, he produced more than Vic ever did (although Vic was a great teammate, he was more of OLB). 

1 minute ago, jhamiltonr said:

Fowler is a decent DE and Takk unfortunately got let go. To me, he produced more than Vic ever did (although Vic was a great teammate, he was more of OLB). 

Lol. Takk didn't do half of what Vic did in ATL. Takk was so overrated on TATF.