Chris Mortensen: Fontenot wants Trey Lance, Arthur Smith wants to stick with Matt Ryan

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Matt Ryan has 3-5 years left in the tank.

FWIW, this screams smoke screen. Why would Mortensen know this info unless it was purposefully leaked by someone within the Falcons? GM wants this, HC wants that, keeps everyone else guessing. 

I guess that's what happens when you don't let the GM hire the head coach.

1 hour ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

That's your opinion. I see Pitts as a glorified receiver. He is no where close to a complete TE. That's my opinion.

Dude won the Mackey Award. They don’t just give that to average TE’s who can only catch the ball okay.

Some of you keep claiming he can’t block, but this is false. He didn’t block a lot because he’s more valuable as a spreader who forces a DB or LB to leave the box, but when he did block he did the job just fine. He has no sacks or TFL’s credited to him, which very few TE’s can say.

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Something isn't impossible doesn't mean it is good decision. The dead cap is going to catch up and big dead cap moves should be last resort. 

Whether or not it's a bad decision would depend on how it played out. Would anyone care about dead money if the replacement and the draft picks won us a Super Bowl? I doubt it.

Whatever they decide to do I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they give me a reason not to.

46 minutes ago, Beef said:

AS turned recently relegated journeyman, Ryan Tannehill, into the comeback player of the year and a pro bowl QB who took his otherwise average team to a SB.

I don’t think AB hired him to start a rebuild with a rookie QB.

Just sayin.

I think that more has to do with Henry. When you got an all world running back, when the running back is the strength of your team, the quarterback does it have to do as much. Take Henry away from that offense, and tannehill is a average quarterback at Turner was so beneficial to Matt Ryan early and Ron's career. We were a running team first when we had Turner. Who do we got now ??

1 minute ago, The Architect said:

Whether or not it's a bad decision would depend on how it played out. Would anyone care about dead money if the replacement and the draft picks won us a Super Bowl? I doubt it.

Whatever they decide to do I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they give me a reason not to.

Falcons had 31 M dead cap in 2020 and 13 M dead cap in 2021. That is 44 M of cap which can't be used in 2021. Thats how teams who waste cap with crappy contracts stay at the bottom of the league. Are you saying Falcons couldn't have used the 44 M  or at. the least half of it in 2021?

Anyone that has watched the videos showing them meeting and talking about working together could see these are just two different people who might not mesh, and I liked that aspect to get away from the buddy buddy mess that has been going on throughout this organization. 

3 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

I think that more has to do with Henry. When you got an all world running back, when the running back is the strength of your team, the quarterback does it have to do as much. Take Henry away from that offense, and tannehill is a average quarterback at Turner was so beneficial to Matt Ryan early and Ron's career. We were a running team first when we had Turner. Who do we got now ??

Tannehill lead all QB’s in passer rating while only throwing 6 and then 7 ints the last 2 years, along with 33 passing TD’s last year, too.

Sure DH helped the offense, but he didn’t make Tannehill more accurate and throw less ints than all other QB’s in the league.

14 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Falcons had 31 M dead cap in 2020 and 13 M dead cap in 2021. That is 44 M of cap which can't be used in 2021. Thats how teams who waste cap with crappy contracts stay at the bottom of the league. Are you saying Falcons couldn't have used the 44 M  or at. the least half of it in 2021?

They could've for sure. I haven't argued otherwise.

My argument was would anyone care about the dead money if you got appropriate assets in return and hoisted the Lombardi? 

Would it be a bad decision if it worked out how you intended?

8 minutes ago, The Architect said:

My argument was would anyone care about the dead money if you got appropriate assets in return and hoisted the Lombardi? 

I don't care if they have all 53 UDFA hoisting a Lombardi. But the odds of that happening are very low. 

37 minutes ago, The Architect said:

That's the problem, the Falcons do not have the appropriate assets to raise a Lombardi in the near future, and no money to acquire more blue chip assets. 

1 minute ago, insight said:

That's the problem, the Falcons do not have the appropriate assets to raise a Lombardi in the near future, and no money to acquire more blue chip assets. 

This is what people either ignore or refuse to accept. This team is not winning anything in 2021, Make your draft picks for long term success not just trying to be mediocre in 2021.

31 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Chris Mortensen this morning: I'm hearing Fontenot wants Trey Lance

Adam Schefter at noon: The Falcons are receiving calls and are willing to trade back

Terry Fontenot: Strokes his goatee while letting out an evil chuckle 

I'm seriously just about convinced that Terry and Arthur Smith laid out a plan for how they were going to deal with the media and the draft this off-season and are just sticking with it. Arthur said he doesn't want yes men around, and they're demonstrating it with him and Terry "disagreeing" about the draft. They have not contradicted themselves once with what they've said, but they keep saying that they're open to every new scenario that presents itself, saying that they might take every blue chip prospect and interviewing them all. I feel like they're showing prospective trade partners what the number 4 pick has to offer with all these interviews and work outs.

At this point, I'm all but convinced that they've known since the beginning that they would prefer to trade down in this draft as their number one option. I think that they've positioned themselves to roll with whatever punches come their way, and know that every draft is different and you have to be flexible, but I still think they prefer to trade down.

At the end of the day, there is only one truth to all of this speculation, and that is that our front office has not yet publicly committed to any particular strategy.

Just now, PriMeTiiMe said:

This is what people either ignore or refuse to accept. This team is not winning anything in 2021, Make your draft picks for long term success not just trying to be mediocre in 2021.

People have the right to ignore or refuse to accept speculative statements. Especially when they're made predraft.

57 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Exactly. GMs tend to look further into the future which is why TF could be looking at QBs. HCs tend to look more at the current year which is why AS says he could win with Ryan right now. I dont think either one of them are wrong. 

TF is no a tradition GM hire.  Traditional speaking GM's were hired 1st and then they hired the head coach but the Falcons do not operate under that power structure.  Arthur Smith is dictating what players he needs to run his system and TF goes out and finds those players. It probably the reason why TF was chosen because most experienced GM's would not enter that type of situation. 

2 hours ago, Spts1 said:

This really could be a move to increase the value of the pick by mentioning Lance. No way the Falcons are going quarterback...

I still dont understand that if the falcons really wanted to pick lance why would they trade with someone they would just pick him at 4 if they say we are not picking a qb then that would make sense to trade down but they havent said that so to me that means QB is a option at 4

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

People have the right to ignore or refuse to accept speculative statements. Especially when they're made predraft.

You can hope and dream all you want but I am sure AS and TF know this isn't something that can be fixed in one offseason with no cap space.

1 hour ago, The Don™ said:

Like others have said, TF and AS are just f'ing with teams. All smoke with some truth to something....so basically nothing,

I find it very hard to believe that the GM wants one thing and the HC wants the other thing already. I just don't see TF and AS having that kind of friction already. This screams smokescreen and misinformation. 

I'm with you. All the scouts and AS, TF, probably Pees have multiple pokers in the fire. Most likely have Plans A, B, C, and D all lined up depending on how the QBs fall ahead of them.