Chris Mortensen: Fontenot wants Trey Lance, Arthur Smith wants to stick with Matt Ryan

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2021/4/6/22369102/nfl-draft-rumor-terry-fontenot-wants-to-draft-qb-arthur-smith-thinks-matt-ryan-has-2-years-left

"What I’m hearing is that [Terry] Fontenot is more focused on quarterback, and Arthur Smith believes that Matt Ryan does have two or more years left. He has no real medical history, he hasn’t missed many games in his career and there hasn’t been a big drop off in his play. One thing I do hear though is that if they do go quarterback at No. 4, then Trey Lance is probably the guy."

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Matt Ryan has 3-5 years left in the tank.

FWIW, this screams smoke screen. Why would Mortensen know this info unless it was purposefully leaked by someone within the Falcons? GM wants this, HC wants that, keeps everyone else guessing. 

I guess that's what happens when you don't let the GM hire the head coach.

Just now, DonOfThemBirds said:

Whatever decision Fontenot and Smith come down to I'll support it.

That’s how I feel as well. I think Ryan has a few more good years and I also think Lance will end up being very good one day. Still hope we trade down and load up but I will give them the benefit of the doubt on whatever they do. 

Well you know that can be all true. However, we know from listening to TF and AS that no one leaked Lance as the pick if that's who they want.

It can be true that TF is after a QB and MR has two or more years left.

Nowhere did it say "AS doesn't want a QB." This is all smoke and mirrors. You know TF and AS are in each other's pocket and it's a lock they are on the same page about what they want to do.

8 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2021/4/6/22369102/nfl-draft-rumor-terry-fontenot-wants-to-draft-qb-arthur-smith-thinks-matt-ryan-has-2-years-left

"What I’m hearing is that [Terry] Fontenot is more focused on quarterback, and Arthur Smith believes that Matt Ryan does have two or more years left. He has no real medical history, he hasn’t missed many games in his career and there hasn’t been a big drop off in his play. One thing I do hear though is that if they do go quarterback at No. 4, then Trey Lance is probably the guy."

Focused doesn’t mean he wants.

/thread.

Didn’t they say in interview, the staff is focusing on different aspects as they can’t be every where and get pulled in multiple directions. 

I can't imagine any front office not being on the same page this close to draft day. My guess is, the team really wants to complete any trade they make before the draft even begins, so they can solidify their draft board. 

Maybe this type of 'leak' will prompt teams to get down to brass tacks and get a deal done. 

6 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I can't imagine any front office not being on the same page this close to draft day. My guess is, the team really wants to complete any trade they make before the draft even begins, so they can solidify their draft board. 

Maybe this type of 'leak' will prompt teams to get down to brass tacks and get a deal done. 

No it's very possible there are difference of opinions. That fosters a great environment. Nobody is obligated to agree or disagree because of who said it.

You can even expect that on draft day to an extent.

With that being said, it's not even that big of a deal for them to differ as long as no long term animosity is built out of the situation.

11 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

FWIW, this screams smoke screen. Why would Mortensen know this info unless it was purposefully leaked by someone within the Falcons? GM wants this, HC wants that, keeps everyone else guessing. 

Ding ding ding!  By the way, I would hope there is a healthy debate within the organization about what to do with this pick.  I do not get the sense that people challenged TD/DQ enough post-SB 51.

21 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Sounds like what I’ve been saying about Ryan. Ryan has about two years left. Lance is young enough to learn under him and be good. It’s one of the viable options at 4.