Just Wondering.....

So if we draft Pitts at four, which I'm not against, when do we address the defense? Honestly the defense needs the most attention in my opinion.  We need an edge rush, actually two if you ask me.  I know we signed Steven Means but I just feel he's more of an rotational player plus we need players that are going to be around for a while.  We need a FS, SS, and CB.  We need some DTs and yes I did say some.  Lets not forget RB and did I forget to mention QB.  There are some players I feel we can get in the college FA after draft the are flying under the radar but what are the chances they'll be able to contribute this season.  Just curious to everyone's thoughts on this.

Just now, realhomie81 said:

So if we draft Pitts at four, which I'm not against, when do we address the defense? Honestly the defense needs the most attention in my opinion.  We need an edge rush, actually two if you ask me.  I know we signed Steven Means but I just feel he's more of an rotational player plus we need players that are going to be around for a while.  We need a FS, SS, and CB.  We need some DTs and yes I did say some.  Lets not forget RB and did I forget to mention QB.  There are some players I feel we can get in the college FA after draft the are flying under the radar but what are the chances they'll be able to contribute this season.  Just curious to everyone's thoughts on this.

For me, this is why the trade down helps.  Extra picks.

There are a lot of picks after our first pick. As someone pointed out last week our early second round pick is a great option for trading down.

I'm not against trading down at #4 but I believe that Pitts is that special hybrid player to put your offense over the top. I don't believe we can trade down and still acquire Pitts because I don't think he gets past Miami. I think Pitts is that special kind of hybrid freak who A.S. could use as a weapon all over the field in almost all formations. With Julio's injury history we could definitely use another weapon. When they are on the field together how do you cover Julio, Ridley and Pitts? If you double Julio who is covering Ridley and Pitts? Bring in another db and A.S. will run the ball down your throat. Those options are scary good.

I'm okay with Pitts at #4 and BPA defense the rest of the way.

5 minutes ago, falken said:

There are a lot of picks after the first pick. As someone pointed out last week our early second round pick is a great option for trading down.

I'm not against trading down at #4 but I believe that Pitts is that special hybrid player to put your offense over the top. I don't believe we can trade down and still acquire Pitts because I don't think he gets past Miami. I think Pitts is that special kind of hybrid freak who A.S. could use as a weapon all over the field in almost all formations. With Julio's injury history we could definitely use another weapon. When they are on the field together how do you cover Julio, Ridley and Pitts? If you double Julio who is covering Ridley and Pitts? Bring in another db and A.S. will run the ball down your throat. Those options are scary good.

So who would you draft after PItts?

18 minutes ago, falken said:

There are a lot of picks after our first pick. As someone pointed out last week our early second round pick is a great option for trading down.

I'd say, if we don't trade down, we should go three offensive (TE, OL, RB) and the other six defensive. Of course BPA could change that but I'm definitely with you in wanting a mostly defensive draft. No need to stick to 50/50 like Dimitroff usually did. Defense is clearly lacking compared to the offense.

If we really want Pitts it doesn't have TO BE AT #4.  The thought of having Pitts and 4 or  extra picks is very exciting, and if we happen to miss out after the trade down yu still have choices of Sewell, Surtain, Kwitty Paye, etc.  This draft could set us up for the future if we play our cards right, especially now after the Jets traded for Darnold as it may put Fields and Wilson in play for teams that thought they didn't have a shot at them.

13 minutes ago, Foo Falcons said:

I'd say, if we don't trade down, we should go three offensive (TE, OL, RB) and the other six defensive. Of course BPA could change that but I'm definitely with you in wanting a mostly defensive draft. No need to stick to 50/50 like Dimitroff usually did. Defense is clearly lacking compared to the offense.

Do you think the defensive side of the ball  is strong in this draft?

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

There's currently 9 picks. Whether we like the player or not(see this very boards reaction to Terrell last year), defense will be chosen at spots they feel need to be addressed. No need to worry too much about it

The need will be there, but we need to hit in the later rounds on defensive players.  We hit on several last year with Terrell and Walker. Hope TF hits the bullseye on defensive picks. 

1 minute ago, realhomie81 said:

There are a few players I like that in the late rounds when I do mock drafts I don't even see their names.  Now I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing or if they're just that far under radar. 

Those sims are all over the place with player eval.  No two ever seen remotely the same!

1 minute ago, Aluminafalcon said:

Second pick is definitely defense. Several edge and safeties are projected around our pick in the second. Our next offensive will either be a guard or rb in 3rd or 4th then who knows

Who would you draft in the second?

4 minutes ago, realhomie81 said:

Who would you draft in the second?

I like jamar Johnson safety from Indiana. Currently 41 on pff big board. Intelligent player finds his way into almost any play. Played mind games and gave Justin fields one of his worst performances 

1 hour ago, realhomie81 said:

The real question is:  What does this year's draft offer in terms of defenders?  My guess is that this draft offers a bunch of defensive prospects that have not shown much to date, but have the potential to develop into good players.  

If we do not trade out of #4, I think we should draft an offensive prospect and the same may apply to our second round pick.  Who knows?

Taking a QB, TE, or WR in round one will do nothing but seriously damage any chance we have of flipping the script from the last few years and becoming a winning football team in 21, probably 22 as well. 

When you have loads of cap space, you can roll the dice in that situation, but that isn't this team.

If they take a QB, or intend to, then they need to immediately trade Matt and Julio, regardless of the cap hit, and start a full blown rebuild. If they take Pitts or a WR, Julio needs to go immediately for draft capital.