Jump to content

Just Wondering.....


Recommended Posts

So if we draft Pitts at four, which I'm not against, when do we address the defense? Honestly the defense needs the most attention in my opinion.  We need an edge rush, actually two if you ask me.  I know we signed Steven Means but I just feel he's more of an rotational player plus we need players that are going to be around for a while.  We need a FS, SS, and CB.  We need some DTs and yes I did say some.  Lets not forget RB and did I forget to mention QB.  There are some players I feel we can get in the college FA after draft the are flying under the radar but what are the chances they'll be able to contribute this season.  Just curious to everyone's thoughts on this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, realhomie81 said:

So if we draft Pitts at four, which I'm not against, when do we address the defense? Honestly the defense needs the most attention in my opinion.  We need an edge rush, actually two if you ask me.  I know we signed Steven Means but I just feel he's more of an rotational player plus we need players that are going to be around for a while.  We need a FS, SS, and CB.  We need some DTs and yes I did say some.  Lets not forget RB and did I forget to mention QB.  There are some players I feel we can get in the college FA after draft the are flying under the radar but what are the chances they'll be able to contribute this season.  Just curious to everyone's thoughts on this.

For me, this is why the trade down helps.  Extra picks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a lot of picks after our first pick. As someone pointed out last week our early second round pick is a great option for trading down.

 

I'm not against trading down at #4 but I believe that Pitts is that special hybrid player to put your offense over the top. I don't believe we can trade down and still acquire Pitts because I don't think he gets past Miami. I think Pitts is that special kind of hybrid freak who A.S. could use as a weapon all over the field in almost all formations. With Julio's injury history we could definitely use another weapon. When they are on the field together how do you cover Julio, Ridley and Pitts? If you double Julio who is covering Ridley and Pitts? Bring in another db and A.S. will run the ball down your throat. Those options are scary good.

I'm okay with Pitts at #4 and BPA defense the rest of the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, falken said:

There are a lot of picks after the first pick. As someone pointed out last week our early second round pick is a great option for trading down.

 

I'm not against trading down at #4 but I believe that Pitts is that special hybrid player to put your offense over the top. I don't believe we can trade down and still acquire Pitts because I don't think he gets past Miami. I think Pitts is that special kind of hybrid freak who A.S. could use as a weapon all over the field in almost all formations. With Julio's injury history we could definitely use another weapon. When they are on the field together how do you cover Julio, Ridley and Pitts? If you double Julio who is covering Ridley and Pitts? Bring in another db and A.S. will run the ball down your throat. Those options are scary good.

I'm okay with Pitts at #4 and BPA defense the rest of the way.

So who would you draft after PItts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, falken said:

There are a lot of picks after our first pick. As someone pointed out last week our early second round pick is a great option for trading down.

 

I'm not against trading down at #4 but I believe that Pitts is that special hybrid player to put your offense over the top. I don't believe we can trade down and still acquire Pitts because I don't think he gets past Miami. I think Pitts is that special kind of hybrid freak who A.S. could use as a weapon all over the field in almost all formations. With Julio's injury history we could definitely use another weapon. When they are on the field together how do you cover Julio, Ridley and Pitts? If you double Julio who is covering Ridley and Pitts? Bring in another db and A.S. will run the ball down your throat. Those options are scary good.

I'm okay with Pitts at #4 and BPA defense the rest of the way.

I'd say, if we don't trade down, we should go three offensive (TE, OL, RB) and the other six defensive. Of course BPA could change that but I'm definitely with you in wanting a mostly defensive draft. No need to stick to 50/50 like Dimitroff usually did. Defense is clearly lacking compared to the offense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Foo Falcons said:

I'd say, if we don't trade down, we should go three offensive (TE, OL, RB) and the other six defensive. Of course BPA could change that but I'm definitely with you in wanting a mostly defensive draft. No need to stick to 50/50 like Dimitroff usually did. Defense is clearly lacking compared to the offense.

Do you think the defensive side of the ball  is strong in this draft?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, realhomie81 said:

There are a few players I like that in the late rounds when I do mock drafts I don't even see their names.  Now I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing or if they're just that far under radar. 

Those sims are all over the place with player eval.  No two ever seen remotely the same!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, realhomie81 said:

So if we draft Pitts at four, which I'm not against, when do we address the defense? Honestly the defense needs the most attention in my opinion.  We need an edge rush, actually two if you ask me.  I know we signed Steven Means but I just feel he's more of an rotational player plus we need players that are going to be around for a while.  We need a FS, SS, and CB.  We need some DTs and yes I did say some.  Lets not forget RB and did I forget to mention QB.  There are some players I feel we can get in the college FA after draft the are flying under the radar but what are the chances they'll be able to contribute this season.  Just curious to everyone's thoughts on this.

The real question is:  What does this year's draft offer in terms of defenders?  My guess is that this draft offers a bunch of defensive prospects that have not shown much to date, but have the potential to develop into good players.  

If we do not trade out of #4, I think we should draft an offensive prospect and the same may apply to our second round pick.  Who knows?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taking a QB, TE, or WR in round one will do nothing but seriously damage any chance we have of flipping the script from the last few years and becoming a winning football team in 21, probably 22 as well. 

When you have loads of cap space, you can roll the dice in that situation, but that isn't this team.

If they take a QB, or intend to, then they need to immediately trade Matt and Julio, regardless of the cap hit, and start a full blown rebuild. If they take Pitts or a WR, Julio needs to go immediately for draft capital. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, realhomie81 said:

So if we draft Pitts at four, which I'm not against, when do we address the defense? Honestly the defense needs the most attention in my opinion.  We need an edge rush, actually two if you ask me.  I know we signed Steven Means but I just feel he's more of an rotational player plus we need players that are going to be around for a while.  We need a FS, SS, and CB.  We need some DTs and yes I did say some.  Lets not forget RB and did I forget to mention QB.  There are some players I feel we can get in the college FA after draft the are flying under the radar but what are the chances they'll be able to contribute this season.  Just curious to everyone's thoughts on this.

They have 9 total picks including picks at the top of the 2nd and 3rd round that could be moved for more picks this year as opposed to the future picks they'd likely acquire from trading down at 4.

That said, the fact is this draft is widely considered to have more talent on the offensive side of the ball.  The talent at Safety and Edge Rusher is particularly weak.  In that scenario, teams that draft well don't force the issue and draft purely for need at the expense of bypassing elite talent.  You are correct that the team needs an infusion of talent on defense, but this particular draft does not offer the best options there.  If you can't adequately address areas where you are weak, you enhance your strengths and hope you can overcompensate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...