NFL network reporting Falcons are seeking to trade the Fourth pick

Just now, Sipifalcon said:

I'm sold on pitts

Receiver and tight end is one of our strengths. We have holes everywhere. Running back, safety, backup quarterback, center, outside linebacker all weaknesses. And you want to draft a tight end. An add to one of our strengths. I don't get it

8 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

Receiver and tight end is one of our strengths. We have holes everywhere. Running back, safety, backup quarterback, center, outside linebacker all weaknesses. And you want to draft a tight end. An add to one of our strengths. I don't get it

I don't know why this is common thought here.

Hurst disappeared in chunks last year and if I remember correctly the majority of his catches came from PA/trick plays. Dude is way too athletic not to be able to find the soft spots in zones.

Ridley and Gage's contracts are both coming up.

Julio's body is beginning to break down.

We could absolutely use a receiving threat, especially if Gage and Hurst aren't retained.

12 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

Is....backup QB really apart of your argument? Backup QB. 

53 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/new-falcons-gm-terry-fontenot-it-s-never-a-bad-thing-to-add-to-a-strength

58 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

That's called drafting the BPA. Even at positions of strength. Do that every year in every round and get stacked.

Don't fall in another TATF needs based chasm like Dimi and pass on beasts. Fill holes via FA and trades. Draft for the future.

Yall scared of the BPA approach. Most of you wanna tank early for NCAA rookie boys that take years to develop. F that.

I say take the lb or surtain and be done with it. We need picks but also we need quality starters. 

we have been drafting corners for good reason but an extra stud LB could really be foundational. You don’t pick a qb when your is a top 10. I mean you want a rookie against Brady? Look how that worked for his previous devision? Just not realistic to have contention in the next 3 years 

CBSSports.com as well:

NFL Draft 2021: Falcons open to trading No. 4 pick and have discussed deals with other teams, per report

The Falcons are in an enviable position with the No. 4 pick

Jeff Kerr

By Jeff Kerr

9 hrs ago2 min read

Jason Getz, Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports

The Atlanta Falcons are in an interesting position in the NFL Draft. With the No. 4 overall pick, Atlanta has prime real estate to select one of the top quarterbacks on the draft board, even if it will be the last of the consensus top four signal-callers (Trevor Lawrence, Zack Wilson, Justin Fields, and Trey Lance). 

The Falcons have a franchise quarterback in Matt Ryan, so there's no immediate need to select a quarterback at No. 4. They could fill an immediate hole by selecting the first non-quarterback and staying put, or they could trade down and acquire more assets from a quarterback-needy team. Atlanta may be choosing the latter. 

According to Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer in his "Monday Morning Quarterback" column, the Falcons are open to the idea of trading the No. 4 pick and have had talks with teams about that coveted spot. Breer mentioned the Detroit Lions were a team to "keep an eye on" as they could move well ahead of the Carolina Panthers (No. 😎 and Denver Broncos (No. 9) -- two teams who are quarterback needy in this draft. Moving up to No. 4 would take Carolina and Denver out of play to draft one of the top four quarterbacks in the draft, forcing them to find another trade partner or stick around and select another player with their respective picks. 

Now why would Detroit need a quarterback when the Lions just traded for Jared Goff this offseason? Goff has four years and $104.1 million left on his contract, but the Lions can get out of the deal after the 2022 season. By then, Detroit will have an evaluation of Goff and whether he's worth keeping around as the quarterback of the team for the next several years. Keep in mind the Lions could develop a young quarterback at No. 4 (Lance?) in the meantime while head coach Dan Campbell and offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn evaluate Goff. 

The Lions also have an extra first-round pick in 2022 and 2023 from the Goff deal as extra ammunition to move up three spots. Part of the "reward" from the Los Angeles Rams for taking on Goff's contract. 

This brings us back to the Falcons, who are in a luxury position at No. 4. Atlanta doesn't have to take a quarterback here and could move down in order to acquire future first-round picks or more picks in this year's draft. The Falcons can hold off until draft day until the highest bidder comes forth, or just make their pick at No. 4. 

The first three picks of the draft appear set in stone after the San Francisco 49ers traded up to No. 3. What the Falcons decide to do with the No. 4 pick remains a mystery. 

47 minutes ago, stizz said:

I don't know why this is common thought here.

Hurst disappeared in chunks last year and if I remember correctly the majority of his catches came from PA/trick plays. Dude is way too athletic not to be able to find the soft spots in zones.

Ridley and Gage's contracts are both coming up.

Julio's body is beginning to break down.

We could absolutely use a receiving threat, especially if Gage and Hurst aren't retained.

Matt missed Hurst a few times. He got stuck on Ridley and didn’t go thru his progressions in some of the games. Same with the RB check downs that were open. 

3 minutes ago, vel said:

If the Falcons were able to trade down to #7, pick up a future first, and still get Pitts...

I'd take that for way more than just next year's first bro. Two mid rounders this year MINIMUM and I'd entertain it. Just so much of a crapshoot of who will be there at 7.