QB Hype- Dak Prescott drafted round 4, Russell Wilson Round 3. Drew Brees Round 2,

All those thinking you gotta draft a QB because you got the 4th pick are WRONG. See QB draft history below, lots and lots of good QBS drafted outside of first round. NFL is NOT a QB driven league it is a linemen driven league. 

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb

1 minute ago, Refried Beans said:

All those thinking you gotta draft a QB because you got the 4th pick are WRONG. See QB draft history below, lots and lots of good QBS drafted outside of first round. NFL is NOT a QB driven league it is a linemen driven league. 

You don't HAVE to draft a QB at 4 but if there's a guy the FO likes at #4 then you don't rule it out because "you can find good QBs in the 4th round"

The most telling thing to me about this is the relative success of QBs taken outside of the top 5 who turn out to be successful compared to the those taken in the top 5. When you look at where Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen, Jackson, etc. were taken, it seems to indicate that the myth that you have to “take advantage of the one time we’ll be picking this high” is bogus. We could have a middling team next year and potentially get a stud in the middle of the first, particularly if we have picks to use as ammo when moving around

8 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

So based on the list in the link, outside of Dak and Russ there hasn't been a good to very good QB drafted after the first round in the last decade unless I'm missing someone

2 minutes ago, belmont4213 said:

The most telling thing to me about this is the relative success of QBs taken outside of the top 5 who turn out to be successful compared to the those taken in the top 5. When you look at where Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen, Jackson, etc. were taken, it seems to indicate that the myth that you have to “take advantage of the one time we’ll be picking this high” is bogus. We could have a middling team next year and potentially get a stud in the middle of the first, particularly if we have picks to use as ammo when moving around

Why pass on a guy you think is a stud at #4 this year for the possibility of finding a stud at pick #20 next year? If the FO thinks they will need a QB in the next couple years why not go with the "bird in hand"?

25 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Congrats on naming 3. Now list the 926281747293732 failed QBs after Round 1.

4 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

I don't want a QB at 4, but it's really hard to hit on QBs after the first round.  Very rare.

Yes. So don't draft one. Take Pitts or trade down. Either one. But QB at 4 with Fields/Lance/Jones... Doesn't really make me think we have the face of the franchise at QB. Or excite me for the future. I'd rather see what happens in FA a few years down the road or see what's there 2 years from now in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Romo undrafted

Unless you're going to come up with 10 more guys that were considered very good to great QBs in the last decade it isn't going to average out all the guys who didn't make it as later round picks. 

Edited by 804_Falconfan

9 minutes ago, 408Falcon said:

Yes. So don't draft one. Take Pitts or trade down. Either one. But QB at 4 with Fields/Lance/Jones... Doesn't really make me think we have the face of the franchise at QB. Or excite me for the future. I'd rather see what happens in FA a few years down the road or see what's there 2 years from now in the draft. 

Agreed.

My point is you can not want to take a QB this year and still know that it's hard to hit on one after the first round.

We'll either have to take a FA in a few years or a 1st round QB, either of which is fine.

If you really want a sports car, you don't pass on buying it when it's in front of you today because there's a "chance" you'll be able to find one for free in a random parking lot next year.

The real question isn't whether QBs should be drafted at 4. It's where TF and AS have the QBs on their board. I trust them either way, whether we pick BPA or trade down.

5 minutes ago, 804_Falconfan said:

If you really want a sports car, you don't pass on buying it when it's in front of you today because there's a "chance" you'll be able to find one for free in a random parking lot next year.

The real question isn't whether QBs should be drafted at 4. It's where TF and AS have the QBs on their board. I trust them either way, whether we pick BPA or trade down.

Terrible analogy, but I get what you are trying to say... I think.... 

At the end of the day... Lawrence and Wilson are the sport cars. The rest are family oriented Mini Vans that can get you to point A or B, but aren't turning heads on the freeway. 

1 hour ago, Refried Beans said:

Why you have to go rile up the QB crowd when they had quieted down after the Pitts chatter? Come on bro.

45 minutes ago, 408Falcon said:

Same here. FA, trade, draft will all be options for Ryan's replacement two or three years down the road.

How many great QBs were drafted in the top 4 over the last decade? Probably not many.

There are some 1st rounders who have been in the semis and Super Bowl. And some who tanked. I’d expect that.  Drafting is a gamble on an educated guess. There are more 1 and 2 round successful QBs than 3-4 round. But there’s absolutely no guarantee. There is very little correlation between college and NFL success in QB. Too many variables. You know a mad dog linebacker can tackle but you don’t know how a QB on a dominant team will rise when everyone is near parity. 

21 minutes ago, 408Falcon said:

Terrible analogy, but I get what you are trying to say... I think.... 

At the end of the day... Lawrence and Wilson are the sport cars. The rest are family oriented Mini Vans that can get you to point A or B, but aren't turning heads on the freeway. 

Please list your credentials in the QB scouting dept when you get a chance.  I'm sure it will take awhile to type it out.  TIA