Falcons lose potential trade down partner (Panthers trade for Sam Darnold)

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never any real chance we were giving the Panthers our pick anyway. Just makes our options that much clearer.    Good deal for the Panthers.

We were never trading down with Carolina

The Jets are, well, the Jets for ditching him so early. It won’t surprise  at all if he has a long career in Carolina.     

Personally I’m happy the Panthers ended up with Sam. Was worried about them getting Watson or a QB in the draft panning out for them. Darnold.. I’m good with that. And yes I’m aware of what situation has surrounded him in NY

Panthers the only team that wanted him. Not surprised 

1 hour ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Well, the more accurate conclusion would be that Carolina and San Fran have different evaluations of the QB class this year. 

Tomato potato 

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

Especially since they made the trade before even seeing if a QB or 2 fell to them at 8.

then again, some will argue it’s because CAR knew QBs were going in the first 4 picks (Fieldy to Atlantie) and likely all 5 before 8...

Yup. Take it for what it is. Not every team out there is viewing this as a “generational franchise QB” class. 

3 hours ago, Someday soon said:

I think this increases the chances Falcons take a QB.  Someone a couple hours ago on NFL network said the asking price for the #4 pick was really high implying the Falcons were interested in the QB market.

A high asking price doesn’t imply we’re interested in a QB. If we trade out we could lose the new anointed best player of the draft, Pitts, that alone would push the price up. 

Happy TF and co ain’t down to trade down just to trade down. Mfs played dumb with an onside kick for us to have this pick, if someone wants it, make a dumb offer

I think considering the Panties still have their #8 pick, they are now 'hoping' someone moves into our #4 picking position so that their chances of taking one of the top playmakers (Pitts or Chase IMHO)to pick out a QB. Hard to say if CIN picks Sewell and MIA likely picks one of those mentioned if we give up the pick.  They just made their 'Chess move' and it'll be up to TF to look over the affect that staying in at #4 to likely get Pitts now which I would really hate to see fall to Carolina. 

3 hours ago, duckhoa said:

Well....at least we now have two guaranteed wins on our schedule next year.....

Hoping Darnold is Sanchise 2.0. I was never impressed with him in college TBH, just one of many overdrafted USC QB's - but the Jets are a dumpster fire so possible he could have a turnaround.

4 hours ago, FentayeJones said:

Perfect. I see this as setting the market for Gardner Minshew. If a former first rounder goes for this, we should be able to get Minshew for a sixth this year and a fourth next, backup qb position would be set with a young, competent, cheap, experienced player...and free up our entire draft to fill other holes...

33 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

Perfect. I see this as setting the market for Gardner Minshew. If a former first rounder goes for this, we should be able to get Minshew for a sixth this year and a fourth next, backup qb position would be set with a young, competent, cheap, experienced player...and free up our entire draft to fill other holes...

I wouldn't be totally against this, just throw a 5th round offer and be done (he was picked in 6th round).  Dude had more TD's than Kyler Murray this season and this would allow us to focus more on defense.  I still wouldn't budge from snagging Pitts (who the Panties need really bad) at #4 though.  I like the way you're thinking.

26 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

What Gardner contract look like specifically how many years are left on it ? Does us no good if he sits two years then we have to pay him franchise money

2 minutes ago, Aluminafalcon said:

What Gardner contract look like specifically how many years are left on it ? Does us no good if he sits two years then we have to pay him franchise money

He won't get 'franchise' money as he was a 6th round pick.  Maybe we could even wait and snag him off waivers after the Jags grab their #1. 

53 minutes ago, papachaz said:

Hallelujah! Lawrence, Wilson and Fields will all be gone by our pick! Now maybe the 937 1/2 “fields at 4” threads will finally start to slow down some

Dont bet on it papa......its probably going to get worse.....

When I make a thread .....which is rare...

(Wouldn't you say @Vandy )

I scroll down to see if anyone has made it first.....and if they have .  I  post my comment on their thread...

If everyone did this....it would cut down the repetitious threads...

Just my opinion...

12 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

I wouldn't be totally against this, just throw a 5th round offer and be done (he was picked in 6th round).  Dude had more TD's than Kyler Murray this season and this would allow us to focus more on defense.  I still wouldn't budge from snagging Pitts (who the Panties need really bad) at #4 though.  I like the way you're thinking.

Why would Jax not just keep him as a backup vs trading him for a 5th?

1 hour ago, papachaz said:

Hallelujah! Lawrence, Wilson and Fields will all be gone by our pick! Now maybe the 937 1/2 “fields at 4” threads will finally start to slow down some

Hey Papa is there new news out on the SF selection? I have only heard Lance or Jones at 3 recently.