Peter King and Albert Breer on the Falcons anf the 4th pick

3 hours ago, 804_Falconfan said:

I don't understand when people say Matt is washed or sucks. With that said, if TF and AS think one of these QBs could be a superstar then it makes sense to grab them even if they sit. Especially if one of those QBs then ends up going to the Panthers. This board would EXPLODE if the Panthers end up with Lance or Fields and in two years they're tearing the league up. 

They say he's washed up and he sucks because they really believe that. They've watched this team for the past three years and seen the worst of the Falcons and pretty much the worst out of Ryan. That's the primary reason for many fans to be screaming QB at #4.

They equate this dual fail as mostly Ryan's fault because of the old myth, "if you have a franchise QB, you're always going to be a threat to make the play-offs and win a SB." Since we haven't been near that status as a team lately, people are going to look at Matt as one of the main reasons.

Is that fair? No, but fairness often has little to do with objectivity when discussing a losing team. Arguments are going to be driven by perception rather than reality.

The problem is, with that distorted perception fairly pervasive out in the hinterlands beyond TATF, this team still has some work to do to win the fan base back. They definitely need to have a winning season and Ryan needs to play exceptionally well to get those disillusioned fans back. Which most of us here believe he will.

2 hours ago, The Don™ said:

Not directed at you but that is a loser mentality. Do we want to avoid trading with the Panties because it's obvious they're going QB? Sure. But if the haul is too good, you make the trade. 

Agree. Because if you don’t make the trade  because they’re a rival, then you take someone else and they just trade down to 5 or 6...or even get their guy at 8 realistically they’re better off than if you make the trade w them and take away their draft capital.

you do what’s best for the Falcons, regardless who the other team is. 

1 hour ago, vel said:

Not at all. The Bills traded down with the Chiefs, who took Mahomes. They ended up taking Josh Allen the next year, showing they needed a QB anyway. Now, Mahomes stands in their way for any trip to a SB. Pretty sure the Bills would rather Mahomes than Allen straight up. If that was a divisional foe, it'd be even worse. 

I would say their talent scouting department is to blame for not properly scouting Mahommes more than the trade itself. As you said, they needed a QB, and it looks like they didn’t think Mahommes was the guy they wanted.

20 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I’d take that CB tandem without a doubt. I’d also be fine with Parsons there, or Slater.

Eh, I’d just as soon keep Matthews for another 4 years and bring on Surtain.

Not sure if Parsons is as good a prospect “overall” as Surtain.

I think...therefore...I am. ;) “raison d'etre”

8 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I would say their talent scouting department is to blame for not properly scouting Mahommes more than the trade itself. As you said, they needed a QB, and it looks like they didn’t think Mahommes was the guy they wanted.

I mean... They went 7-9 and had "their QB" at the time. They didn't do anything this place isn't suggesting by trading down and building around the existing roster. It just so happened Mahomes turned into Mahomes. Luckily they got Allen the following year, but it's not an easy dliemma. 

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Eh, I’d just as soon keep Matthews for another 4 years and bring on Surtain.

Not sure if Parsons is as good a prospect “overall” as Surtain.

I think...therefore...I am. ;) “raison d'etre”

It’s so hard to say on Parsons, since he didn’t play this year. In his last game ( bowl game vs Memphis) Kirk herb street said he felt “Parsons was the best defensive player in the nation, and he didn’t forget about Chase Young”

not saying I agree w that, but there were some who felt he was an elite prospect when he was actually on the field. These guys that took the year off have been forgotten by the media, who knows how coaches are looking at them being out for a year.

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

It’s so hard to say on Parsons, since he didn’t play this year. In his last game ( bowl game vs Memphis) Kirk herb street said he felt “Parsons was the best defensive player in the nation, and he didn’t forget about Chase Young”

not saying I agree w that, but there were some who felt he was an elite prospect when he was actually on the field. These guys that took the year off have been forgotten by the media, who knows how coaches are looking at them being out for a year.

Oh most definitely Parsons could be the pick and we address S and CB later.

That’s the whole appeal of a trade down.

If our first pick this draft is a STUD...defense or offense...the idea is a trade down first to get said player might really boost the overall roster. Better than just pick 4...but that pick could be even better. It’s just maximum value and efficiency when possible.

I won’t be mad if we “settle” on Sewell or Pitts at 4...or even Chase.

But it’s gotta propel the offense to 2016 caliber.

*(Note, not saying identical but just “worth” it compared to one less defensive prospect AND missing on some future and/or additional year capital)

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

Good points!!!  Look at you with data and a compelling take!!  🤘😎  I usually get no response, or I'm  an idiot.  🤣

1 hour ago, alexhead97 said:

I actually think Trask was bailed out by Pitts and his receivers big time. NBC puts it best:

"For one, 9.52% of his passes required clear adjustments from his pass-catchers. Not only is that the highest rate since 2020 by a wide margin, but it is more than double the 2020 class average"

The thing you have to go back and watch is where the defenders are when the receivers are catching those balls that they’re adjusting to. Trask made several throws that were wow throws simply because of placement in reference to the defensive players that were around

2 hours ago, vel said:

Not at all. The Bills traded down with the Chiefs, who took Mahomes. They ended up taking Josh Allen the next year, showing they needed a QB anyway. Now, Mahomes stands in their way for any trip to a SB. Pretty sure the Bills would rather Mahomes than Allen straight up. If that was a divisional foe, it'd be even worse. 

I disagree. You build your team how you see fit but also take ideas from other teams as well. The Bills were a legit SB contender last year and are again this year. I say they are doing just fine.

3 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

I disagree. You build your team how you see fit but also take ideas from other teams as well. The Bills were a legit SB contender last year and are again this year. I say they are doing just fine.

Never said they weren't doing fine. Just saying, if they traded down and had to deal with Mahomes twice a year as well as to get to the AFCCG, it wouldn't be ideal. If we trade down with CAR and they end up with Fields/Lance and they end up being a top 2 QB in the NFL, fans would be crucifying TF. That is a very real possibility of them being that good. Just like there is a very real possibility they both bust. Would much rather not take that Top 2 scenario chance with a divisional foe. 

4 minutes ago, vel said:

Never said they weren't doing fine. Just saying, if they traded down and had to deal with Mahomes twice a year as well as to get to the AFCCG, it wouldn't be ideal. If we trade down with CAR and they end up with Fields/Lance and they end up being a top 2 QB in the NFL, fans would be crucifying TF. That is a very real possibility of them being that good. Just like there is a very real possibility they both bust. Would much rather not take that Top 2 scenario chance with a divisional foe. 

I guess there's too much unknown with any drafted player that it makes me skeptical. Even the "can't miss" type. I think we need to accumulate as many picks as we can (especially in the early rounds) and have cheap control for 4-5 years, thus increasing the odds of landing impactful guys. 

1 minute ago, The Don™ said:

I guess there's too much unknown with any drafted player that it makes me skeptical. Even the "can't miss" type. I think we need to accumulate as many picks as we can (especially in the early rounds) and have cheap control for 4-5 years, thus increasing the odds of landing impactful guys. 

I don't disagree. But if you are moving down and there is potential for your trade partner to land a very good player you like, you at least don't do it with a divisional foe. 

3 hours ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

I agree we could end up taking a defensive player, however, it would be poor management to take one at 4. You could trade down anywhere in the top 10-12 and still probably get a top 3 defender. Regardless of the returns, we need all the picks we can get. So even if it's an underwhelming haul to move back to 9 and select Surtain you have to do it.

Yeah, I love Surtain and Parsons, but #4 might be too rich to take them

Hard to leave a Pitts on the board and select one of them.

6 minutes ago, vel said:

I don't disagree. But if you are moving down and there is potential for your trade partner to land a very good player you like, you at least don't do it with a divisional foe. 

It’ll be interesting to see if the cowgirls want to move up. Tyron Smith is 31 and has a huge cap hit next year. Sewell might be an attractive young option for a team that just signed Dak to a huge contract

15 minutes ago, vel said:

I can respect that. We'll have to disagree though.

12 hours ago, thanat0s said:

I know he’s loved by a lot of people around here these days, and I’m not saying he wasn’t considered a 1st rounder, or that he isn’t a good prospect in general. I’m just saying if you look back at all the mocks, he wasn’t considered top five by anybody.  Mostly in the teens.

Suddenly he’s the best player? I just don’t buy it. 

I had us drafting him mid-season. He is a beast.

12 hours ago, The Don™ said:

Which is why it doesn't make sense to pick a QB and then have him sit for two years. There's nothing guaranteed in this league. Just because you draft QB at four, have him sit for two years and then HOPE he develops into a superstar is more wishful thinking than anything. Ryan gives you the best chance to win right now. 

The whole "we'll never pick this high again so go get a QB" talk doesn't mean that QB is going to pan out. There's been QBs taken outside the top ten that do just as well, if not better. There's been many top ten QB busts and first round QB busts in general. None of this means I am against a QB at four or in any round for that matter because I will always support whoever steps on the field. I am more for BPA and if TF keeps preaching BPA, a QB at four cannot be valued higher than Pitts or Sewell. 

If we draft a QB at #4 we may very well have a top 5 pick next year. Look at Cincinnati and San Diego. Drafted great QBs, but defenses could not hold leads.

19 hours ago, thanat0s said:

Like I said before, Pitts was a first rounder, but absolutely NOBODY said anything about him being the best player in the draft. He was a teens to 20 pick. A solid prospect.

Then everybody saw numbers, and as usually happens, otherwise rational people lose their minds over numbers.

Yes, he's big and fast, but has anyone stopped to think that's the only reason he was successful in college, at least much more so than actual skill? It's easy for 'physical freaks' to dominate college, because they rarely face NFL bodies and skill levels, and defensive schemes. 

Pitts won't be running around against mostly nobody's in the NFL. And if he expects to be an every down player, he has to learn to block. Something he has never done well. 

Once again, fine prospect. Not in any way, shape or form the "best player in the draft". 

With respect......You obviously haven’t been paying attention....game 1 of season Pitts caught 8 passes/170 yards/4 TDs against ole miss. Game two against South Carolina he had 2 more TD catches. That's 6 TDs 1st two games of season....for a fricking TE. 

The buzz on Pitts has been there all year long. 

12 hours ago, thanat0s said:

Like I said before, Pitts was a first rounder, but absolutely NOBODY said anything about him being the best player in the draft. He was a teens to 20 pick. A solid prospect.

Then everybody saw numbers, and as usually happens, otherwise rational people lose their minds over numbers.

Yes, he's big and fast, but has anyone stopped to think that's the only reason he was successful in college, at least much more so than actual skill? It's easy for 'physical freaks' to dominate college, because they rarely face NFL bodies and skill levels, and defensive schemes. 

Pitts won't be running around against mostly nobody's in the NFL. And if he expects to be an every down player, he has to learn to block. Something he has never done well. 

Once again, fine prospect. Not in any way, shape or form the "best player in the draft". 

I don’t know what sites you read but I’ve been seeing him as a top 7 player ever since I started looking at this draft class months ago. Was seeing him in top 5 when people were predicting he’d run a 4.6,  well before his pro day. Saw him mocked to us at 4 well before his pro day. Consistently saw him marked as the 1st pass catcher off the board.

I genuinely can’t think of a time I’ve EVER seen him mocked in the teens.