Would Marlin Davidson be a first round pick this year?

OrthoPTSD

Really thought he showed up out of shape last year. He checks boxes tho, former 5 star, super productive at SEC school, but 297 pounder? Is he a 5 or a 3 tech?  He doesnt carry that well IMO. Would he be a first rounder in this weak (maybe weakest ever) DL draft class? This team needs him in the worst way to play 500-600 snaps at a first round level. We got to hit on one of these one day. Heres hoping he come into camp in shape, I did see him forklift guards and tackles in small doses last year when on the field.

Marlon Davidson was picked in the second round by the Atlanta Falcons for one reason and one reason only – to beef up the interior of the defensive line. They needed to help out Grady Jarrett, one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL so that they would be able to rush the passer and defend the run better.

Admittedly, what Marlon Davidson will bring to the Atlanta Falcons will be a 6-foot-3 297-pound beast of a human being. This second-round pick should be able to show out soon and very soon with physical and intangible attributes.

To see which tangibles the Falcons most likely highlighted in drafting this hulking man we can look at the report from Kyle Crabbs of Thedraftnetwork.

First Step Quickness – Springy athlete with a surprising amount of burst. He’s got stereotypical juice for a 3T penetration defender and will shoot across the LOS quickly. Question will be how consistently he can keep his balance through lateral contact as he shoots gaps from the interior vs. prior role as an outside DL

However, that is not to say that Marlon will not need some polishing on his skills, but the intangible skills that can not be taught such as his quick first step will come in handy soon and very soon in the NFL.

The things that he can learn while being in training camp and gleaning all this information from practices and his defensive line coaches and counterparts will help him tremendously.

Although it does not help his case to show out this upcoming season with him being sidelined with a knee-sprain, nothing can simulate practice action, and above that nothing can replicate game action, we hope he can see the field as soon as he is healthy.

According to the stats from ProFootballFocus which will help give us fans an idea on how Marlon will contribute to our team when healthy and also after he learns the mechanics and the little nuances of the NFL.

This Falcons team will need Marlon Davidson to step up and show why he had an above-average 83.8 pass-rushing grade with an average 74.3 run-stopping grade in the greatest conference in College football the SEC.

39 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I will take him if he can play like a third round pick Corey Peters. 

I really hope he could be like what Peira Jerry was before the injury so early in his career. The couple of games I saw him play before he tore his ACL he flashed soooooo much he would’ve been a star if not for that injury.

1 hour ago, marvinthemartian said:

I’m willing to give him a pass for his first year. Injury and Covid. Let’s get a better evaluation after year 2

I had SARS Co-V2 back in May of 20.  I can tell you from personal experience that it takes weeks/months to grt back to cardiovascular shape.  I would give him a pass 

1 hour ago, Macintez said:

I really hope he could be like what Peira Jerry was before the injury so early in his career. The couple of games I saw him play before he tore his ACL he flashed soooooo much he would’ve been a star if not for that injury.

I’ve heard this before and still don’t believe it. I even rewatched his games. They’re still out there on gamepass. If you don’t mind can you point out some of his flash plays that I can go watch?

14 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I had SARS Co-V2 back in May of 20.  I can tell you from personal experience that it takes weeks/months to grt back to cardiovascular shape.  I would give him a pass 

Hopefully you are ok now.

I think I had a mild case of it in January or February of last year.

I never got tested but I had all of the symptoms and it was among the worst that I ever felt.

I know people who are young than I am (I am 40) and who are in much better shape ( compared the the pear physique that I am sporting) and they got hammered with it....like not being able to take 2 steps before being totally out of breath and needing to sit down.....and this was after they "recovered".

He gets a pass for sure.

12 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I’ve heard this before and still don’t believe it. I even rewatched his games. They’re still out there on gamepass. If you don’t mind can you point out some of his flash plays that I can go watch?

I wanna say it was the 2nd game of his rookie year. I don’t have game pass but I KNOW I saw a game where he was living in the backfield. It was one of the first 2 or 3 games of his rookie season. Then I just remembered looking for him like “Hey where he go?” Then bam; Found out he tore his ACL. 

I judged DT’s off disruption and he was very disruptive in those games and it’s a memory I haven’t let go of because that was one of the last times we had a solid pass rush. I miss having a defense.

Edited by Macintez

44 minutes ago, Macintez said:

I wanna say it was the 2nd game of his rookie year. I don’t have game pass but I KNOW I saw a game where he was living in the backfield. It was one of the first 2 or 3 games of his rookie season. Then I just remembered looking for him like “Hey where he go?” Then bam; Found out he tore his ACL. 

I judged DT’s off disruption and he was very disruptive in those games and it’s a memory I haven’t let go of because that was one of the last times we had a solid pass rush. I miss having a defense.

I have a memory of him not being disruptive. Buddy had one asst and one hit in two games before his injury.

58 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Hopefully you are ok now.

I think I had a mild case of it in January or February of last year.

I never got tested but I had all of the symptoms and it was among the worst that I ever felt.

I know people who are young than I am (I am 40) and who are in much better shape ( compared the the pear physique that I am sporting) and they got hammered with it....like not being able to take 2 steps before being totally out of breath and needing to sit down.....and this was after they "recovered".

He gets a pass for sure.

I had it and am still on a daily steroid inhaler 8 months later. My case was sever. Terrible, but even a mild case is not joke.

He gets a pass, big time

14 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I had it and am still on a daily steroid inhaler 8 months later. My case was sever. Terrible, but even a mild case is not joke.

He gets a pass, big time

Hope you ok. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I got it end of August, I didn’t rest up though. Pushed through workouts and kept the lungs pumping. First couple of days were tough for me but I kept pushing and it was minor symptoms in the end.