Arthur Smith's Offensive Strategy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're coming in from a needs-based perspective, I think this draft is going to be disappointing for you

No doubt the Falcons have long had a confidence problem. It goes back way before the SB collapse, as most old-timers still remember games like the play-off loss to the Cowboys in 1980, the 48-21 loss

The thing is its more then one pick in this draft tho.... Pitts looks like a true once in a decade type guy... You cant turn down the best player in the draft especially the way Arthur Smith would use

No doubt the Falcons have long had a confidence problem. It goes back way before the SB collapse, as most old-timers still remember games like the play-off loss to the Cowboys in 1980, the 48-21 loss to the Packers in 2010.

Having lost three games as 99.9 percent favorites to win, including back-to-back!? last year, It's clear this team needed a new leader who can return some confidence and maybe even instill a little swagger into this group. I firmly believe Arthur Smith is the perfect man for the job.

12 minutes ago, Hard Case said:

This is why I’m thinking it’s going to be Pitts. Yes the responsible and more risk adverse move is trading down and targeting needs but the skill set of Pitts is just made to cause conflict and confusion for defenses. All the more power to Arthur smith if they go the other way but I just see him pounding the table for Pitts as he represents the kind of player he wants to build an offense around

51 minutes ago, Aluminafalcon said:

This is why I’m thinking it’s going to be Pitts. Yes the responsible and more risk adverse move is trading down and targeting needs but the skill set of Pitts is just made to cause conflict and confusion for defenses. All the more power to Arthur smith if they go the other way but I just see him pounding the table for Pitts as he represents the kind of player he wants to build an offense around

Sorry to disagree....again, but I do.  Offense doesn't need to be built , we have plenty of weapons there , except for O Line which is a critical need for Ryan to survive.    Defnse is a more critical need, we just cannot continue to give up 30 points a game and expect to be competitive.  We do need a three down RB , but that can be solved in the middle rounds, CB and Safety MUST be addressed. So trading down to get more picks is a no brainer.  Everything you say about Pitts is true, as far as we know, but we don't have the luxury of another TE at this point in the semi rebuild. 

12 minutes ago, BAMF said:

Okay, this is gonna be really controversial:

Considering the effect Pitts would have on the new offensive philosophy, TF and AS may value Pitts above getting extra picks (no trade down):doh:

Could Pitts be a franchise TE?

Offense is not our main problem. It's more on defense. Someone like Pitts would be nice for next year or even the next.

5 minutes ago, Hard Case said:

Offense is not our main problem. It's more on defense. Someone like Pitts would be nice for next year or even the next.

The thing is its more then one pick in this draft tho.... Pitts looks like a true once in a decade type guy... You cant turn down the best player in the draft especially the way Arthur Smith would use him... He is just to special and their is no Defender close to him at 4... I believe in BPA and need meeting up but its a big gap here at 4... Now if we trade out of the 4th spot thats different.

Also we have more then one pick... The 35th and 68  should be starters on this team..... In this draft we should be able to fill either the Starting Safety, CB, or Edge rusher on the other side of Fowler (2 of those spots) ... We also need to hit on a couple of our middle round picks

Here's the thing, and we messed this up with Dimi (though I don't think he's as bad as some.)

Let's say we need defense this draft (which we do) but it's a weak defensive draft (which it is at the top at least.)

Let's say we draft 7 guys on defense.  Now next year rolls around, and we need to replace Julio and a lineman that didn't work out and Hurst and another offensive guy.  And now it's a good defensive draft.  We go in and draft all offense.

You can see easily that over that 2 year span, we could have gotten radically more talent by going offense then defense instead of the reverse.  We're going to need players on offense and defense over the next couple of years, so we take the best ones the draft has to offer.  That builds a stronger team over the course of 2-3 years and especially over the longer duration.

6 minutes ago, atljbo said:

The thing is its more then one pick in this draft tho.... Pitts looks like a true once in a decade type guy... You cant turn down the best player in the draft especially the way Arthur Smith would use him... He is just to special and their is no Defender close to him at 4... I believe in BPA and need meeting up but its a big gap here at 4... Now if we trade out of the 4th spot thats different.

Also we have more then one pick... The 35th and 68  should be starters on this team..... In this draft we should be able to fill either the Starting Safety, CB, or Edge rusher on the other side of Fowler (2 of those spots) ... We also need to hit on a couple of our middle round picks

I agree, I’m 100% in the trade down camp, but if we stay put I can’t imagine we take a defender at 4...as bad as we need defense there isn’t anyone worthy of that pick on that side of the ball.  Pitts would be fun, a luxury pick short term for sure, but he has a very high ceiling and high floor, which I like.  That said, we also can’t rely that each pick will work out, they rarely do even in first three rounds.  That’s why I want us to trade down to give us more chances at filling gaps all over because regardless if we trade down or stay put, there will be misses in this draft that won’t work out.

58 minutes ago, BAMF said:

Okay, this is gonna be really controversial:

Considering the effect Pitts would have on the new offensive philosophy, TF and AS may value Pitts above getting extra picks (no trade down):doh:

Could Pitts be a franchise TE?

In this offense it’s a possibility.  Imagine Pitts motioning out against a MLB or SS while the other TE stays put.  The opposing DC will have an aneurysm 

10 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

In this offense it’s a possibility.  Imagine Pitts motioning out against a MLB or SS while the other TE stays put.  The opposing DC will have an aneurysm 

Considering that we want to win now and build for the future, when you consider AS offensive philosophy Pitts could have the biggest positive impact for the Falcons of anyone available in this draft.

22 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

the kid is a matchup nightmare all over the field. like you said, he can run past a linebacker, can outjump a safety, and can do whatever the f*ck he wants to a corner.

there isn't a defense in the league that would be able to account for that, julio, AND ridley, while still having to worry about the (much improved 🤞) running game.

There's a missing thought process for how this team can operate and win now. That philosophy is to overwhelm the other team with offense. Let me be clear in that it's not sustainable, but you can win 10 games in a season like this. 

If the other team KNOWS we can score, then it makes the other offense press. This indirectly can make the defense better if they are opportunistic. We honestly did this in 2016.

Over time, the defense will build confidence as well.

So getting Pitts can be extremely beneficial and it's not really about his production because there's a lot of mouths to feed. It's really the overall mismatch he can provide WHEN NEEDED.

1 hour ago, Hard Case said:

Sorry to disagree....again, but I do.  Offense doesn't need to be built , we have plenty of weapons there , except for O Line which is a critical need for Ryan to survive.    Defnse is a more critical need, we just cannot continue to give up 30 points a game and expect to be competitive.  We do need a three down RB , but that can be solved in the middle rounds, CB and Safety MUST be addressed. So trading down to get more picks is a no brainer.  Everything you say about Pitts is true, as far as we know, but we don't have the luxury of another TE at this point in the semi rebuild. 

We do have oline. There are 3 guys on it that were drafted in the 1st round. Our scheme was terrible last year if you can even say we had one.

There arent any great players early defensively. They will need to trade back if that is the mindset.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

the kid is a matchup nightmare all over the field. like you said, he can run past a linebacker, can outjump a safety, and can do whatever the f*ck he wants to a corner.

there isn't a defense in the league that would be able to account for that, julio, AND ridley, while still having to worry about the (much improved 🤞) running game.

Pitts could be the replacement for Julio.   We just move the matchup nightmare from outside to inside

We all know AS first thing he wants to do is RUN THE BALL... we need 2 new starters in OL a C and OG.. Pitts is a really good player and he would help us ALOT.. but more then maybe Penei who would start at OG 100% of the snaps baring any injury... if both of those players are graded equal then I think NEEDS come around and you have to go with Penei..

As for the pick I would get on board with any of Fields, Chase, Pitts or Penei at 4... only player I would be ok after a couple of days at D would be Surtain.. 

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

All the more reason to trade down. we have too many urgent needs not to. Pitts is a great player, but frankly, we don't need him at this point. He would be a waste at #4

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

If you're coming in from a needs-based perspective, I think this draft is going to be disappointing for you

We don't NEED a TE or a QB, lots of other urgent needs on both sides of the ball.  Trade down.

1 hour ago, takeitdown said:

Here's the thing, and we messed this up with Dimi (though I don't think he's as bad as some.)

Let's say we need defense this draft (which we do) but it's a weak defensive draft (which it is at the top at least.)

Let's say we draft 7 guys on defense.  Now next year rolls around, and we need to replace Julio and a lineman that didn't work out and Hurst and another offensive guy.  And now it's a good defensive draft.  We go in and draft all offense.

You can see easily that over that 2 year span, we could have gotten radically more talent by going offense then defense instead of the reverse.  We're going to need players on offense and defense over the next couple of years, so we take the best ones the draft has to offer.  That builds a stronger team over the course of 2-3 years and especially over the longer duration.

Anyone can create hypothetical scenarios. 

43 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

There's a missing thought process for how this team can operate and win now. That philosophy is to overwhelm the other team with offense. Let me be clear in that it's not sustainable, but you can win 10 games in a season like this. 

If the other team KNOWS we can score, then it makes the other offense press. This indirectly can make the defense better if they are opportunistic. We honestly did this in 2016.

Over time, the defense will build confidence as well.

So getting Pitts can be extremely beneficial and it's not really about his production because there's a lot of mouths to feed. It's really the overall mismatch he can provide WHEN NEEDED.

Only if he can play LG or DE.

8 minutes ago, Hard Case said:

Only if he can play LG or DE.

I was really just making the point for Pitts, but if there's a viable LG play at the top or at the next pick, then that could work as well.

Just saying there's a viable philosophy for overwhelming teams with an overbearing offense.

Meaning you don't HAVE to build the defense with the first or even 2nd pick. There's more than one way to improve this team.