We might be looking at this draft all wrong...

In my opinion, this clarification to TF's draft philosophy virtually cements the notion that the Falcons take a QB at #4, IF they stay put at #4. And if, by some chance they view the 4th available QB as not as talented as the pass catchers available, this philosophy virtually guarantees the selection of a pass catcher in that scenario. Because the argument can be made that Chase and Pitts are both more talented players than Sewell. Heck, you can even include Waddle over Sewell, if you ask me. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was listening to 92.9 yesterday and they had a guy who used to scout with TF for the stains (can't remember his name). The host asked him how many safeties and CBs he thought the Falcons should draf

I’ve been saying this for weeks now. Folks thinking “we have to get a _____” are just traumatized by Dimitroff. Fontenot has already said he doesn’t make decisions like that. 

TD and his gang were not near as bad in draft as TAFT pretends, I would argue upper 1/3 in league during his 13 year tenure overall. Facts are without some insanely crappy late game situational coachi

12 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Whatever player is picked by the Falcons in the 1st round will have people complaining. So I’m prepared to laugh. Can’t wait honestly. But I believe Fontenot will pick the best players on the board. Should be an interesting draft

yep, large portion of this board will have imploding head syndrome regardless of the draft pick. Just the way it is around here

15 hours ago, Vandy said:

TD and his gang were not near as bad in draft as TAFT pretends, I would argue upper 1/3 in league during his 13 year tenure overall. Facts are without some insanely crappy late game situational coaching, TD would have at least one ring...arguably two...as a falcon GM. 

The draft is a crapshoot, those who point out the misses do so with benefit of hindsite.

The cubbard was not bare, Dan Quinn was 10X more a problem with this team’s record over the past 3 seasons than the talent he had to work with was.

Selah.

We cannot get TAFT to admit that draftees work out less than 50% of the time.  And, there are documented numbers that validate that.

23 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

So if we suck again this year is it talent or coaching then? I'm just trying to figure out who is to blame, if we go below .500, because this most likely the outcome of 2021. The coaching was abysmal, and the talent ALWAYS gets the excuse(minus Ryan, of course).  Not enough money or draft picks to fix this mess in 2021.

We shall see...

I think you have to look at 2021 as possibly a throwaway year because there are so many changes happening just like in 2015. I hope to be wrong, and that the Falcons can pickup Smith’s offensive scheme, and Pees’s defensive scheme in time to make a run for the playoffs, but my expectations of the franchise are very low at the moment. I definitely believe there is enough of a nucleus here to have a good season, and that the coaching is going to be much better than what we’ve seen over the past few seasons. I say this because far too often we saw the Falcons started games under Quinn and Koetter with no real script for moving the chains which is an indicator for poor preparation; that’s just the offense, where as the defense was a complete mess for the past two seasons.

58 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Real strong opinions!  I'm one of those "I don't really have a clue, but like to throw out intelligent sounding complete shots in the dark, maybe I'll get lucky one time" arm chair GMs....🤣

That’s what my ex said I liked to do lol. But let her tell it I was always wrong even when I was right😂

On 4/4/2021 at 8:10 AM, Vandy said:

TD and his gang were not near as bad in draft as TAFT pretends, I would argue upper 1/3 in league during his 13 year tenure overall. Facts are without some insanely crappy late game situational coaching, TD would have at least one ring...arguably two...as a falcon GM. 

The draft is a crapshoot, those who point out the misses do so with benefit of hindsite.

The cubbard was not bare, Dan Quinn was 10X more a problem with this team’s record over the past 3 seasons than the talent he had to work with was.

Selah.

Wait... You can't just use the misses to prove your point? Where is the fun in that?!

11 hours ago, NorthGaBoy said:

We cannot get TAFT to admit that draftees work out less than 50% of the time.  And, there are documented numbers that validate that.

Average draft nets about 4 contributors. Get the best players you can to increase your odds of those 4 actually being good players. 

11 hours ago, NorthGaBoy said:

Dimitroff's problem was that he traded up and missed. The most important draft of his career should have been 2017, when we were trying to restock after a Super Bowl loss and continue to contend, and he traded up to take Takk right in front of Tre'Davious White and TJ Watt. In 2019 he traded up for McGary and we didn't even have another draft pick until the fourth round. We've come away from those drafts with a few guys who play a lot of snaps because of how thin our defense is, but no one that plays like a complete starter on the defensive line or the secondary. 

I mean yeah, other than stuff like, he couldn't draft offensive linemen outside of the first round, most of his high draft picks on defense were too injury-prone or ineffective to even make it through their rookie contracts, and he rarely had more than two picks in the first three rounds because of how often he'd trade up, he did fine in the draft. He just didn't make the right call most of the time, same as most guys. Actually, seems like he'd have done better having less confidence in himself and trading down a few times = /

53 minutes ago, Serge said:

Dimitroff's problem was that he traded up and missed. The most important draft of his career should have been 2017, when we were trying to restock after a Super Bowl loss and continue to contend, and he traded up to take Takk right in front of Tre'Davious White and TJ Watt. In 2019 he traded up for McGary and we didn't even have another draft pick until the fourth round. We've come away from those drafts with a few guys who play a lot of snaps because of how thin our defense is, but no one that plays like a complete starter on the defensive line or the secondary. 

Yep. He became too short sighted. That's what happens when you blow a 28-3 lead. You get so focused on "We can just run it back". He forgot there were 31 other teams trying to get better too. Stopped building a team and kept chasing "one last piece". 

On 4/4/2021 at 8:55 PM, SoCalFalconFan said:

In my opinion, this clarification to TF's draft philosophy virtually cements the notion that the Falcons take a QB at #4, IF they stay put at #4. And if, by some chance they view the 4th available QB as not as talented as the pass catchers available, this philosophy virtually guarantees the selection of a pass catcher in that scenario. Because the argument can be made that Chase and Pitts are both more talented players than Sewell. Heck, you can even include Waddle over Sewell, if you ask me. 

And Smith