We might be looking at this draft all wrong...

I was listening to 92.9 yesterday and they had a guy who used to scout with TF for the stains (can't remember his name). The host asked him how many safeties and CBs he thought the Falcons should draft and his response (and I am paraphrasing here): "When you go into the draft looking to get a specific number of players at specific positions you handicap your team because it influences your evaluation of players. Instead of looking for RB, OL, CB, or S, you should be looking for good football players."

This just confirms TF's stated philosophy of filling needs through FA and drafting BPA. Of course, there are times when BPA and position of need are the same, but do not be surprised when they are not. Be prepared for surprising picks this year. I am.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was listening to 92.9 yesterday and they had a guy who used to scout with TF for the stains (can't remember his name). The host asked him how many safeties and CBs he thought the Falcons should draf

I’ve been saying this for weeks now. Folks thinking “we have to get a _____” are just traumatized by Dimitroff. Fontenot has already said he doesn’t make decisions like that. 

TD and his gang were not near as bad in draft as TAFT pretends, I would argue upper 1/3 in league during his 13 year tenure overall. Facts are without some insanely crappy late game situational coachi

23 minutes ago, BAMF said:

Was anyone mentioning Rich MacKay when TD was running the draft?

Nope...people just lining up the scapegoat for when their guy doesn’t get picked. They were mentioning Pioli though when the picks panned out, but not when they were bad picks (that was all TD, even in the same draft 😂)

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

Nope...people just lining up the scapegoat for when their guy doesn’t get picked. They were mentioning Pioli though when the picks panned out, but not when they were bad picks (that was all TD, even in the same draft 😂)

Thats petty.  The Falcons will and should pick whoever is their best pick. Just because McKay may or may not influence the decision does not mean anyone should scapegoat either him or Fontenot...

57 minutes ago, BAMF said:

I was listening to 92.9 yesterday and they had a guy who used to scout with TF for the stains (can't remember his name). The host asked him how many safeties and CBs he thought the Falcons should draft and his response (and I am paraphrasing here): "When you go into the draft looking to get a specific number of players at specific positions you handicap your team because it influences your evaluation of players. Instead of looking for RB, OL, CB, or S, you should be looking for good football players."

This just confirms TF's stated philosophy of filling needs through FA and drafting BPA. Of course, there are times when BPA and position of need are the same, but do not be surprised when they are not. Be prepared for surprising picks this year. I am.

Music to my ears

3 hours ago, BAMF said:

My feelings exactly.  I honestly feel it will be liberating to actually take BPA.  It may indeed be surprising.  I cannot wait for fireworks.

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

TD and his gang were not near as bad in draft as TAFT pretends, I would argue upper 1/3 in league during his 13 year tenure overall. Facts are without some insanely crappy late game situational coaching, TD would have at least one ring...arguably two...as a falcon GM. 

The draft is a crapshoot, those who point out the misses do so with benefit of hindsite.

The cubbard was not bare, Dan Quinn was 10X more a problem with this team’s record over the past 3 seasons than the talent he had to work with was.

Selah.

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

TD and his gang were not near as bad in draft as TAFT pretends, I would argue upper 1/3 in league during his 13 year tenure overall. Without some crappy late game situational coaching, TD would have two rings as a falcon GM. 

The draft is a crapshoot, those who point out the misses do so with benefit of hindsite.

The cubbard was not bare, Dan Quinn was 10X more a problem with this team’s record over the past 3 seasons than the talent he had to work with was.

Selah.

So if we suck again this year is it talent or coaching then? I'm just trying to figure out who is to blame, if we go below .500, because this most likely the outcome of 2021. The coaching was abysmal, and the talent ALWAYS gets the excuse(minus Ryan, of course).  Not enough money or draft picks to fix this mess in 2021.

We shall see...

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

TD and his gang were not near as bad in draft as TAFT pretends, I would argue upper 1/3 in league during his 13 year tenure overall. Without some crappy late game situational coaching, TD would have two rings as a falcon GM. 

Selah.

Point taken, just goes to show you have to take the situation as a whole. If the perceived coaching improvement with AS is a reality, we would see improvement using TD acquired players.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

So if we suck again this year is it talent or coaching then? I'm just trying to figure out who is to blame, if we go below .500, because this most likely the outcome of 2021. The coaching was abysmal, and the talent ALWAYS gets the excuse(minus Ryan, of course).  Not enough money or draft picks to fix this mess in 2021.

We shall see...

Ask Tennessee how their defense performed after Pees retired.

How about Atlanta's improvement when DQ gave up the defensive play calling?

To be fair, it's more likely a combination. Look at the fact that the general consensus is Koetter's offense stunk and our DBs left a lot to be desired on defense, Atlanta is a perfect example.

Edited by BAMF
Just now, BAMF said:

Has he ever traded down? Serious question, because I can't remember him ever doing it.

yeah he never has. Even if he was still here, I am not even sure what he would do.  I think he would get Parsons or Surtain. 

22 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

We shall see...

Define suck?

Splashy Free agency is way overrated in here. If TF continues to work his plan in FA and we go in draft how I think we will....Barring injury, I see a 9-10 win team.

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Define suck?

If we go in draft how I think we will....Barring injury, I see a 9-10 win team.

I see below .500.

Pointless debate till it's all said and done, but lets say history is strongly on my side. As well as Vegas for that matter. Majority of folks that believe this is a playoff team are in this forum, that is probably a bad sigh. That is regardless of who we pick in 2021. It could be a QB, Pitts or any of the WR's and we still are  below .500 next year.

Hope your right though, but I'll take my prediction as more realistic than yours at present.

23 minutes ago, BAMF said:

Ask Tennessee how their defense performed after Pees retired.

How about Atlanta's improvement when DQ gave up the defensive play calling?

To be fair, it's more likely a combination. Look at the fact that the general consensus is Koetter's offense stunk and our DBs left a lot to be desired on defense, Atlanta is a perfect example.

OK, what about 18 or 19? Why did we suck the those years as well, or we going back to hanging everything on the coach that a good 75% called the greatest coach in Falcons history?

1 minute ago, ramonezy said:

The funny thing about this year is that I can legitimately argue we have a need at every position this year 

Which is why I can't understand why some think this is a talented roster. From top to bottom overall it is pathetic. Have a smattering of high end(and paid) guys, but the the bulk of the roster is as bad as it have been in decades.