Shultz: Watching film with Falcons Coach Arthur Smith

2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Smith is such a breath of fresh air, holy ****. Even if he completely bombs somehow, I'm going to be pulling for this guy.

Same here, bro. You don't see how a guy this bright could bomb, but we are talking Falcons. It's like the Irresistible Winning Coach vs The Immovable Fail Franchise. He just may have enough Win in his DNA to overcome the Loser DNA in this team.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://theathletic.com/2495034/2021/04/02/schultz-watching-film-with-falcons-coach-arthur-smith-his-plan-to-fix-them-is-clear/ Schultz: Watching film with Falcons coach Arthur Smith makes

The other great thing is even if we ball out, our play caller won't be leaving for a HC gig.

This will be only the 2nd high quality OC Ryan has had in his career, Shanny being the first. So excited to get a brain in here at OC+HC that can play in a chess match with the other masters. In the p

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Why because he was a wide eyed rookie and learning the NFL game, that's why. You either did not watch the falcons back them or delusional, but MM had as big a part in the Matt Ryan we see today as KS(more in my opinion). The team became stale on both sides of the ball and wanted to get more explosive, think BVG was let go in a winning season.

Look at the things that Ryan does exceptional, for example play action. That was literally the bread and butter of the Lark offense. Pound the ball with Turner and heavy diet of play action.

I agree that Mularkey was a great fit for Ryans early years. The run game took pressure of of him but his passing attack wasn't very creative and if teams took away the run his offense could be limited. Plus it slowed Ryan's development which is why I said Shanahan unlocked Ryan's true potential

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I actually agree that Mularkey was a great OC for Ryan, at least starting out. Didn't put too much pressure on Ryan, helped out the defense with the run game, but still put him in position to win games. Mularkey was just good for a rookie QB in general - the negative being his failure to evolve the offense over time so Ryan could grow.

100%. So many young QBs are asked to do too much on a bad team surrounded with mediocre talent, and it ruins them. Mulatkey with his conservative brand of emphasizing the run game was the perfect 1st OC for Ryan. 

TD and smitty also deserve a lot of credit for that. 

2 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

His humility is refreshing.  This is one candid dude.  There is a Belichech air about him.  Not douchy, but driven.  I am liking this hire more each day.  I cannot wait till he unleashes the potential in the offense.

You know Ice, Julio and Rid already been talking about Smith's offense and licking their chops just like us. 😁

1 hour ago, wnyfalconfan said:

I agree that Mularkey was a great fit for Ryans early years

I agree with that as well. I strongly disagree with any suggestion Mularkey was in same league as the OCs Brady and Brees enjoyed over there careers which was obviously the point I was making.

14 hours ago, hollywood said:

It’s also clear that one of his primary objectives will be getting this team to perform better under pressure, which would be diametric to so many late-game implosions of a year ago.

“Clearly it didn’t work, maybe for multiple reasons,” Smith said. “Maybe something was broken. Maybe there was a lack of confidence late in games. Why is that? I don’t know. But these games are going to come down to the last possession more times than not. In 75 percent of our games, a team is in striking distance in the fourth quarter, which is the way the league wants it.”

What generally causes late-game breakdowns?

“For whatever reason, doubt crept in, like they were waiting for something bad to happen,” he said. “I’ve been on bad football teams that were not confident. But (at Tennessee) when we got into one-score games, we thought we were going to win. We did. That was our mentality. It comes down to guys being confident situationally and trusting each other. It’s just a mentality.”

Smith runs an outside-zone scheme, like Shanahan, but the importance of the scheme can be overstated. No scheme is designed to fail. The problem is when play callers become stale and predictable. When Smith says he strives for balance, “It doesn’t mean we have to have 50 percent runs and 50 percent pass plays. It just means you want to keep defenses off balance. You don’t want to become obvious. Yeah, we’re going to run the football, and we’re going to throw play action at you. But if you’re sitting up there (in the box) and you know what’s coming, then shame on you”

Loading video

Loading video

So much truth in this part of interview, and it all starts with the QB. Ryan clearly was not confident the past two seasons, you could see it in his body language late in games. I’m not worried about his skill-set, arm strength, et al....he still has plenty of zip on his throws. But somehow someway, he and smith have to rediscover that Matty- Ice mindset from 2008-2018, which has gone disturbingly missing the past two years under Koetter. 

That and prioritizing a running game will be huge.

This!.. He also will reinstall a wide-zone offensive scheme and call plays for an offense that drastically underachieved under former offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, who ranked as Dan Quinn’s worst mistake.

Could not agree more on Quinn's worst mistake. And this just in.. This time WE hired the right guy!

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

If Mularkey ever had an o-line worth a flip it might have been different. His biggest issue was the same as Koetter - lack of a cohesive system. Mularkey was a lot like Dan Reeves. Old school but still innovative. He used zone blocking and a lot of trick plays and stuff, but he didn’t have what Shanahan and Smith have — a system designed for plays to flow from each other. 

They called him Mr Gadget in Buffalo, the problem was his gadget plays didn’t have the high percentage level of success a much more skilled innovator like Shannys had, and too often led to plays getting blown up for losses. Shanny and Payton knew exactly when and what to call to draw blood.  

8 minutes ago, gazoo said:

They called him Mr Gadget in Buffalo, the problem was his gadget plays didn’t have the high percentage level of success a much more skilled innovator like Shannys had, and too often led to plays getting blown up for losses. Shanny and Payton knew exactly when and what to call to draw blood.  

Inspector Gadget actually goes all the way back to the Pittsburgh days with Kordell Stewart. 

3 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

All of you revisionist ******** know you were excited about him too, you say otherwise your probably lying.

Not me, I was opposed to signing a college coach and said it was extremely risky, even put a thread, or dropped into a thread,   outlining all the college to NFL fails. Many here felt same. 

Of course, after he was signed here I gave him a fair chance to succeed, as others did,  but many here expressed concern.

2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I actually agree that Mularkey was a great OC for Ryan, at least starting out. Didn't put too much pressure on Ryan, helped out the defense with the run game, but still put him in position to win games. Mularkey was just good for a rookie QB in general - the negative being his failure to evolve the offense over time so Ryan could grow.

:tiphat:

I don't necessarily think that Ryan or the offense lacked confidence.

I think they struggled under the pressure of a few things.

#1 You had the historic collapse in 2016 Superbowl....that is something that will not go away  until a Superbowl is won... outside of the Superbowl itself, I think there was pressure to try and duplicate a top 10 historic offense.

#2  Ryan and most of the players clearly had an affinity for Quinn and as that seat got warmer the pressure to save his job  got heavier and heavier and they let mistakes compound and become bigger issues.

#3 which is a by product of #1 & #2....I think there was a sense of oh **** it is happening again....for Ryan and the offense specifically...you had the collapse in 2012, then the collapse in the Superbowl and then for the next 3 years after , the falcons found ways to losing.....new and creative ways of losing and when you get into that rut....it is difficult to get out.

A lack of confidence may have played a role in it a bit but I think the issues above played a bigger role than that.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

I don't necessarily think that Ryan or the offense lacked confidence.

I think they struggled under the pressure of a few things.

#1 You had the historic collapse in 2016 Superbowl....that is something that will not go away  until a Superbowl is won... outside of the Superbowl itself, I think there was pressure to try and duplicate a top 10 historic offense.

#2  Ryan and most of the players clearly had an affinity for Quinn and as that seat got warmer the pressure to save his job  got heavier and heavier and they let mistakes compound and become bigger issues.

#3 which is a by product of #1 & #2....I think there was a sense of oh **** it is happening again....for Ryan and the offense specifically...you had the collapse in 2012, then the collapse in the Superbowl and then for the next 3 years after , the falcons found ways to losing.....new and creative ways of losing and when you get into that rut....it is difficult to get out.

A lack of confidence may have played a role in it a bit but I think the issues above played a bigger role than that.

2013 and 2014 was injuries and personnel issues. It isn’t lack of confidence.