MLB Moves All-Star Game

AUTiger7222

Congratulations Republicans and Brian Kemp. You have lost the All-Star Game. Thank you from all of Braves Nation!! And a Go **** Yourselves!!!

Major League Baseball Moves All-Star Game Out Of Atlanta

By Steve Adams | April 2, 2021 at 1:58pm CDT

Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred announced Friday that the league will relocate the All-Star Game and 2021 Amateur Draft, which had been set to take place in Atlanta, Ga.

“Over the last week, we have engaged in thoughtful conversations with Clubs, former and current players, the Players Association, and The Players Alliance, among others, to listen to their views,” Manfred said in a statement announcing the decision.

“I have decided that the best way to demonstrate our values as a sport is by relocating this year’s All-Star Game and MLB Draft.  Major League Baseball fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box.  In 2020, MLB became the first professional sports league to join the non-partisan Civic Alliance to help build a future in which everyone participates in shaping the United States.  We proudly used our platform to encourage baseball fans and communities throughout our country to perform their civic duty and actively participate in the voting process.  Fair access to voting continues to have our game’s unwavering support.

“We will continue with our plans to celebrate the memory of Hank Aaron during this season’s All-Star festivities.  In addition, MLB’s planned investments to support local communities in Atlanta as part of our All-Star Legacy Projects will move forward.  We are finalizing a new host city and details about these events will be announced shortly.”

More to come.

Just now, AUTiger7222 said:

He signed the bill.

As well he should have.  

So are we supposed to allow corporations, unaccountable to voters, have veto power over laws??   Makes no sense.   All of the stuff Biden said about this new law has been disproven multiple times.  

It’s all because some people threw a hissy for that this thing it got blown out of proportion. This bill puts GA voting laws on the same level as 38 other states.   I need an ID to get on a plane, buy stuff at sams club and get a beer.   Why not when I vote????  

1 minute ago, TheFalcoholic said:

Sports was supposed to be an escape from our day to day lives, all the stress of work, politics, etc.

Now sports are one of the most political things in our country. 

I know.  Makes me sick.   Even worse most opinions are so uninformed it’s disgusting.   Like living in a bizarro world

8 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

He signed the bill.

Yup. The fact that Georgia Republicans lost three consecutive fair elections in less than two months forced him to overreact. And it's not the first time he tried to undermine African American voters. His certifying his own election is the reason why he's governor. Weirdly, it's also the reason why Biden is POTUS. Kemp pissed off Abrams so much she fought across the country to make sure everybody could vote.

3 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

Sports was supposed to be an escape from our day to day lives, all the stress of work, politics, etc.

Sports have always been political. There's no escaping it.

Then there was the case a few years ago when the NBA moved their ASG out of North Carolina because of the gender laws that got passed there.

3 minutes ago, jidady said:

Yup. The fact that Georgia Republicans lost three consecutive fair elections in less than two months forced him to overreact. And it's not the first time he tried to undermine African American voters. His certifying his own election is the reason why he's governor. Weirdly, it's also the reason why Biden is POTUS. Kemp pissed off Abrams so much she fought across the country to make sure everybody could vote.

It's the Trump syndrome. They can't accept that they lost. Trump's era of American history will go down among the worst ever. What he has done with this mess is crazy.

5 minutes ago, jidady said:

I’m going to get out of here because no one is going to be convinced to change their mind, but I’ll part by saying I’ve worked a statewide election, and it’s crooked.  Poll watchers denied access, improper custody of ballots, lack of a paper trail, it’s a mess.   This stuff is important and it is essential that people have faith in it.   Ballot harvesting and unattended drop off sites for absentee ballots do not create faith in the system.  

It has needed cleanup for a long time and it took a mess like 2020 to finally get people moving.  

13 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

As well he should have.  

So are we supposed to allow corporations, unaccountable to voters, have veto power over laws??   Makes no sense.   All of the stuff Biden said about this new law has been disproven multiple times.  

It’s all because some people threw a hissy for that this thing it got blown out of proportion. This bill puts GA voting laws on the same level as 38 other states.   I need an ID to get on a plane, buy stuff at sams club and get a beer.   Why not when I vote????  

Yeah this bill is more than just about an ID. I mean come on now lol. But it doesn’t matter because Kemp had already signed his walking papers when he won the election. This bill just made sure he won’t win a reelection bid

20 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

You must be young. Professional sports has ALWAYS been in politics. It didn’t just start happening. I mean come on now

30 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

I’m going to get out of here because no one is going to be convinced to change their mind, but I’ll part by saying I’ve worked a statewide election, and it’s crooked.  Poll watchers denied access, improper custody of ballots, lack of a paper trail, it’s a mess.   This stuff is important and it is essential that people have faith in it.   Ballot harvesting and unattended drop off sites for absentee ballots do not create faith in the system.  

It has needed cleanup for a long time and it took a mess like 2020 to finally get people moving.  

What I can say, having spoken ad nauseam with attorneys for the Department of Justice, is that the outcry about election voting being rigged is automatic each time. The instances that it happens are rare and almost all coming from one side...the one that Kemp just embraced with this decision.

There's a weird thing in conservative politics, most recently demonstrated by a Seminole County Tax Collector and Representative Matt Gaetz, that every accusation is a confession. I have friends who tirelessly dedicated themselves to getting people registered and then monitoring polling places for abuse.

You've got one party doing everything it can to get everyone possible eligible to vote. You've got another party doing the opposite, creating legislation like this to prevent certain kinds of people from voting. And that tells the story.

If we let everybody in this country vote, Republicans cannot win, and they know this. Here's a recent article that reinforces this:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gop-warns-hr-absolutely-devastating-republicans/story?id=76555647

Like any investigation, the question should be simple for an independent analyst. Who benefits?

In this instance, the answer is clearly not voters. As such, Kemp did what he had to do to have a chance at reelection. Now, the dominoes are falling, just as they did in Charlotte after the NBA did the same.

9 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

You knew it was coming. Its an embarrassing bill. I'm glad my life took me into Tennessee a few years ago. 

It's not like we're doing better. One of my alma maters, ETSU, just got rid of a great basketball coach for having the audacity to support his African American players against blatant racism.

Nearly half the team is in the transfer portal over it. We had a really good mid-major basketball program that we just imploded to stand on the side of racism. It's maddening.

22 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

As well he should have.  

There's a whole lot more to it than just a voter ID. It's about limiting ballot boxes and polling places making it harder for people to even get to a place to vote. It's about not being able to give food/water to a person standing in line to vote. Really? That needed to be apart of the deal?