Jump to content

Justin Fields should be the pick if he is there at 4..


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, thanat0s said:

I have no clue where this silly notion came from that a guy can just sit around doing nothing for years and somehow get better at his job.

The absolute worst thing that could happen to any QB at 4 would be to get drafted by us. It could very well wreck his entire career, because we have no reason to replace Matt at all, probably for years still. 
 
They need to go to a team where they can play and improve,  not become professional Surface Pro users. 

I agree with this post however I think prospects that are underdeveloped can benefit from the bench and practice. For instance, throwing a player like Trey Lance to the wolves probably isn’t going to be good for him 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have always been in the Fields bandwagon in fact is the only QB I would take in the First Round.... he should be the pick if he is there at 4.. he is really good at Football, Plus some years learnin

April fools was yesterday pal

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Williamb said:

I respect that people are all in on jf. Great potential. If tf selects him then I will support it. I too see no value in selecting a #4 to sit for 2 years, and definitely don't want to listen to all the complaining about him not playing for the next 2 years. When someone makes an argument about this team being bad and that we earned our w-l record to support drafting fields, it is a bit much. MR did not earn a 4-12 record. Mr took a lead into the 4th qtr in 12 out of 16 games. How does losing fall back on him? So, dk didnt know how to scheme a clock burning offense( this is ryans fault). Our defense didn't know how to get off the field on 3rd down (ryan), st doesn't know to fall on an onside kick (ryan), gurley doesn't understand to run around in circles instead of scoring (you got it, ryan earned all of them). Yes, he has things to work on like not thinking he has to carry the whole team(which he shouldn't have to), but he's not the issue and none of these 1st round qbs will fix the issue. My opinion for what its worth.

None of these QB’s coming in can just “carry the team” either. The primary problem with most football fans is their expectations of a quarterback in general are very unrealistic 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dunn-Vick-Duckett said:

Drafted by who? And who says your boy Fields or any of these other QBs don't turn into a Mitch Bisky? The facts are these, we dont need a QB, but we DO need various other positions. Im sorry thats so difficult to understand

It’s ok I forgive you

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

I'm not opposed to a QB at four.  I am opposed to him sitting for two years.  That's the issue for me.  Otherwise, I really don't have a problem with any kid selected there.  

The Falcons wouldn't sit him for two years...

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

No they wouldn’t. Unless Matt had a monster year and the team went to the SB

They wouldn't sit any quarterback they selected at four for two years. The NFL doesn't do that anymore. Quarterbacks play their rookie season now.  Sitting  them for even one year is not the norm (Packers). It's still done, but not the norm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This just clarifies there are 2 camps here. 1 soundly believes Matt Ryan is held back from his inevitable Lombardi by everyone else. 2 believes it’s time to make the hard moves today to win tomorrow. There is no “on the fence” in this forum.  I’m in group 2, no secret. I want my favorite team to finish on top. I do not care who is wearing the jersey when it happens. But I do know they have to convert a lot more 3rds and punt a lot less. Nothing wrong with accepting why we have a 4th pick and planning for the future while we have the chance. 
 

He’s the best we’ve ever had. He’s not getting better. Both can be true without hate.  Everyone that loves Matt Ryan is not a fool. Everyone that wants to move on after a very evident decline is also not a fool. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spts1 said:

They wouldn't sit any quarterback they selected at four for two years. The NFL doesn't do that anymore. Quarterbacks play their rookie season now.  Sitting  them for even one year is not the norm (Packers). It's still done, but not the norm.

Correct.  It rarely happens if taken in the first round, it never happens anymore if taken top five.  Not sure why people think they will sit someone at #4 for not one, but two years.  Makes zero sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spts1 said:

The Falcons wouldn't sit him for two years...

If Ryan comes out and has a season like 2016 or 2018, what do you think the FO would do? It’s a possible scenario, and a tough call to make. I would find it pretty hard to make the change in that scenario.

I have always been in the camp of saying if we take a QB at 4 we should trade Ryan and start them, but that’s obviously not in the cards now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

If Ryan comes out and has a season like 2016 or 2018, what do you think the FO would do? It’s a possible scenario, and a tough call to make. I would find it pretty hard to make the change in that scenario.

I have always been in the camp of saying if we take a QB at 4 we should trade Ryan and start them, but that’s obviously not in the cards now.

Ryan fans don't have to worry. He is not going anywhere. The Falcons most likely take that tight end. If They wanted a quarterback,  they wouldn't have restructured Ryan...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rings said:

Correct.  It rarely happens if taken in the first round, it never happens anymore if taken top five.  Not sure why people think they will sit someone at #4 for not one, but two years.  Makes zero sense.

I understand the argument, but there are 49mil reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Killing Floor said:

This just clarifies there are 2 camps here. 1 soundly believes Matt Ryan is held back from his inevitable Lombardi by everyone else. 2 believes it’s time to make the hard moves today to win tomorrow. There is no “on the fence” in this forum.  I’m in group 2, no secret. I want my favorite team to finish on top. I do not care who is wearing the jersey when it happens. But I do know they have to convert a lot more 3rds and punt a lot less. Nothing wrong with accepting why we have a 4th pick and planning for the future while we have the chance. 
 

He’s the best we’ve ever had. He’s not getting better. Both can be true without hate.  Everyone that loves Matt Ryan is not a fool. Everyone that wants to move on after a very evident decline is also not a fool. 

we have the 4th pick because of a combination of bad coaching and horrible defense, NOT because Matt Ryan needs to be replaced. His numbers don't provide the evidence of the 'very evident decline' so many here want to try to push/lay completely on him  

:tiphat:

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Williamb said:

I understand the argument, but there are 49mil reasons.

49mil I assume you are referring to Ryan’s cap hit next year.  That’s fair.  If they cut him next year using post June first you pay 40mil in dead cap over two years.  You will have a cap hit for the rookie of about 7 mil this year.  So you can either pay Ryan 49 million to actually play football in 2022, or you can pay 47mil for a rookie to not play in 2021 and Ryan to not play for 2022 and 2023.  I’d personally rather pay the 2mil different to have someone actually play football vs not, but that’s just me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, papachaz said:

we have the 4th pick because of a combination of bad coaching and horrible defense, NOT because Matt Ryan needs to be replaced. His numbers don't provide the evidence of the 'very evident decline' so many here want to try to push/lay completely on him  

:tiphat:

Yeah, week 17 he was still zipping passes and had plenty of velocity on his throws.  The chat during the game people were actively commenting on how good his arm still looked the last two games.  The offense was bad, scheme was bad, Julio hurt, line played bad, he had some bad games, the scheme was god awful. That doesn’t mean he’s on the decline.  Such a lazy analysis and makes me question if people really watched the games or just looked at a box score and watched sport center afterwards.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jidady said:

I do enjoy the logic that three quarterback-hungry teams are about to pass on Justin Fields after months of vetting him carefully. So, we **** sure better draft him!

 

Whoever get drafted first means absolutely nothing. There is no guarantee any QB drafted before Fields will have a better career. Who would you rather have - Takk, Taco Charlton, Charles Harris or TJ Watt?

Link to post
Share on other sites

QBs can have the physical skills coming into the pros but what is their Qb IQ? This will make or break QBs. Do have the abilty to read defenses and pick the open receiver? Defenses in the NFL play faster and it's a different game. What are the chances Lawrence,Fields, Wilson,Lance and now Jones become top 10 qbs. Right now Pitts chance of being a star is higher than the field of 5 qbs. Pick the wrong Qb will set your franchise back a number of years. 

Edited by Falconsailorman
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...