What Pitts could do in Arthur's Smith Offense

5 minutes ago, BAMF said:

In all honesty, I have been reading the boards for over 10 years (I guess that's right, seem to be having trouble counting today:doh:) Created my account 4 years ago. Generally don't post, guess I'm feeling frisky today. Hope @thanat0s and you don't think I was stalking, cause you guys have really thoughtful conversations. (mostly😁)

Lol nah you’re good homie😂

4 hours ago, thanat0s said:

I guess I just don't see the 'difference' being made, when the only difference that matters is wins in 21. I don't care about the buzz factor, or exciting plays. I just want that trophy, or at least a shot at it in 21. One more receiver isn't going to stop the other team from scoring, or keep Matt's pocket clean. 

That's all I've ever said about Pitts. He's a fine prospect, but his presence has a near zero chance of putting 6-7 wins on the board and a few more in the playoffs, because a lack of receivers wasn't what cost us games the last few years.

But, if we draft him, so be it. I'm not hating on him, but my skepticism meter with this new regime is going to start going into the yellow/orange before a game is even played.

The problem with that is you can’t just draft a tackle with the #4 pick with hopes that you can plug him in at guard and fix everything that was wrong with the OLin 2020 

2 hours ago, Doug Carlton said:

I don't think our Oline can be expected to perform better than last year as-is especially with our starting center gone.

in 2020 we had NO RUN GAME and Matt was on his back way too much. As a result our offense was offensive and our D was on the field the whole game, giving up leads...

We need BIG UGLIES up front that DOMINATE.

Sewell, Slater, AVT, Humophrey, DIckerson, etc...that is what we need.

Pitts is great, but he's not going to help us run or protect any better than last year.

Agreed take Pitts and one of the better OL in the 2nd round and forget the idea of taking a RB 

Edited by jhamiltonr

2 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Well this is what the message board is for. To debate things lol. We ain’t here trading cooking recipes 

You know what, after going back and reading posts, i owe you an apology. We don't totally agree but I got in my feelings. We do both agree that we need an impact player on the field this year. I'm not tanking on '21.

1 minute ago, Williamb said:

You know what, after going back and reading posts, i owe you an apology. We don't totally agree but I got in my feelings. We do both agree that we need an impact player on the field this year. I'm not tanking on '21.

No apology needed brother but I accept. You’re good with me. And we do need an impactful player. We both agree. ‘21 could be our year

18 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

It's ironic how some believe the QB's are everything the talking heads say, but don't see the vision of Pitts in this offense. **** if Pitts is what Arthur Smith wants I can get behind that. Pitts certainly looks NFL ready day one, year one. 

I will support Pitts if he is in ATL 

What has Smith exactly done with the TE's he has had in TN?  Other than utilizing 2 TE sets none of his TE's have individually been hyper productive to think Pitts will be our savior or is a slam dunk at #4.  I'm more impressed with the gains that Tannehill and Henry made and what he did with a relatively lackluster OL outside of their tackles.  

3 hours ago, Doug Carlton said:

why? what reason and evidence suggests this Oline as it currently exists, learning an entirely different blocking scheme and running it for the first time this season will be an improvement over last year without upgrading OG and OC?

just a hunch, my guy.

i feel like our o-line will benefit from a very o-line friendly offensive scheme drawn up by a former o-lineman. a more balanced run/pass ratio, play-action, and quick-hit passing plays all favour the o-line over 45 7-step drop passing plays every game.

just one dude's opinion.

2 hours ago, jhamiltonr said:

The problem with that is you can’t just draft a tackle with the #4 pick with hopes that you can plug him in at guard and fix everything that was wrong with the OLin 2020 

Sure you can. Smith himself has said that when it comes to the OL, you get the five best guys you can find, and then figure out where best to play them. 

9 hours ago, Xfactor said:

Kyle Pitts is in fact a game changer and Smith’s experience using tight ends could make for an elite player in due time.

You’re not getting those same numbers from any other tight end on the Falcons roster. Pitts’ catch radius, change of direction, and run-after-the-catch ability allow for him to be a force in between the hash, an area where Jonnu Smith was featured heavily.

While listed officially as a tight end, Pitts can also be effective on the perimeter. Atlanta could use Pitts in motion scenarios to space out the defense and flex him outside to create a mismatch there. The Falcons haven’t been a team to utilize a ton of pre-snap motion over the past few seasons, but that is expected to change under Smith.

Pitts is a serious talent, as long as he's used correctly and stays in his wheelhouse. He's two-dimensional; meaning, he's got the blocking skills of a napping four year old girl. So, he's not going to help you in the run game much, but if you use him as another wideout, and you dial up his number in the red zone you're right as rain. 

9 hours ago, Xfactor said:

Kyle Pitts is in fact a game changer and Smith’s experience using tight ends could make for an elite player in due time.

You’re not getting those same numbers from any other tight end on the Falcons roster. Pitts’ catch radius, change of direction, and run-after-the-catch ability allow for him to be a force in between the hash, an area where Jonnu Smith was featured heavily.

While listed officially as a tight end, Pitts can also be effective on the perimeter. Atlanta could use Pitts in motion scenarios to space out the defense and flex him outside to create a mismatch there. The Falcons haven’t been a team to utilize a ton of pre-snap motion over the past few seasons, but that is expected to change under Smith.

Pitts would be like Julio, an amazing athlete with great personal stats, while the team has another losing season. One person can't heal this team, we have enough stars. We need to trade down and get some good players who are not stars, but good, hardworking dogs who will give it up for the team, we need them in quantity, then we will really see the quality of the stars we have. 

10 hours ago, dapanch420 said:

Pitts and a good running back in the 2nd round could prolong matt ryans career at a high level. Hes a cerebral qb not a physical specimen like rodgers or mahomes. 

Agree but I think a stud OG or C in the 2nd would help more and still can snag a solid RB in 3 or 4.  Our OL needs help.

1 hour ago, Hard Case said:

Pitts would be like Julio, an amazing athlete with great personal stats, while the team has another losing season. One person can't heal this team, we have enough stars. We need to trade down and get some good players who are not stars, but good, hardworking dogs who will give it up for the team, we need them in quantity, then we will really see the quality of the stars we have. 

Don’t go to Vegas 

When will everyone learn that you build a team from the inside out. We don’t need another pass catcher. We have elite talent there already. We need to build the trenches. The pick should be Sewell. You can’t get the ball to your weapons when your on your rear end all the time. I just can’t see this team picking TE at 4. That would be a tremendous waste when you could grab a prime time OL or even a potentially starting caliber QB. 

19 hours ago, dapanch420 said:

Pitts and a good running back in the 2nd round could prolong matt ryans career at a high level. Hes a cerebral qb not a physical specimen like rodgers or mahomes. 

Now that we have signed Davis I say Creed Humphrey if he is available or Kellen Mond.

Humphrey starter from day one

Mond sit for 2-3 years heir apparent!

21 hours ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

Pitts is a serious talent, as long as he's used correctly and stays in his wheelhouse. He's two-dimensional; meaning, he's got the blocking skills of a napping four year old girl. So, he's not going to help you in the run game much, but if you use him as another wideout, and you dial up his number in the red zone you're right as rain. 

Any star TE is, at best. a good chip blocker.   Pitts is already there.  This prospect has Tony Gonzalez talent.  Did you have problem with Gonz?

12 hours ago, KAMIKAZE FALCON said:

When will everyone learn that you build a team from the inside out. We don’t need another pass catcher. We have elite talent there already. We need to build the trenches. The pick should be Sewell. You can’t get the ball to your weapons when your on your rear end all the time. I just can’t see this team picking TE at 4. That would be a tremendous waste when you could grab a prime time OL or even a potentially starting caliber QB. 

Well said except we don't NEED a Starting QB, we have one in his prime.

3 hours ago, etherdome said:

Any star TE is, at best. a good chip blocker.   Pitts is already there.  This prospect has Tony Gonzalez talent.  Did you have problem with Gonz?

I can think of three star TEs that were/are solid blockers; Gronk, Kelce, Shannon Sharp. Of course, I had no problem with Tony G., but Tony G. was a better blocker than Pitts is. All that said, I would draft Pitts. He is a generational talent. 

7 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

I can think of three star TEs that were/are solid blockers; Gronk, Kelce, Shannon Sharp. Of course, I had no problem with Tony G., but Tony G. was a better blocker than Pitts is. All that said, I would draft Pitts. He is a generational talent. 

I don’t agree with that at all. TG was atrocious in blocking.