What Pitts could do in Arthur's Smith Offense

Kyle Pitts is in fact a game changer and Smith’s experience using tight ends could make for an elite player in due time.

You’re not getting those same numbers from any other tight end on the Falcons roster. Pitts’ catch radius, change of direction, and run-after-the-catch ability allow for him to be a force in between the hash, an area where Jonnu Smith was featured heavily.

While listed officially as a tight end, Pitts can also be effective on the perimeter. Atlanta could use Pitts in motion scenarios to space out the defense and flex him outside to create a mismatch there. The Falcons haven’t been a team to utilize a ton of pre-snap motion over the past few seasons, but that is expected to change under Smith.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sitting here envisioning 13 personnel with Pitts, Hurst, and Smith (who CAN catch in an emergency) and Julio or Ridley as the receiver with a single running back. I'm seeing entire series of no-hu

Kyle Pitts is in fact a game changer and Smith’s experience using tight ends could make for an elite player in due time. You’re not getting those same numbers from any other tight end on the

Posted Images

I'm sitting here envisioning 13 personnel with Pitts, Hurst, and Smith (who CAN catch in an emergency) and Julio or Ridley as the receiver with a single running back. I'm seeing entire series of no-huddle because there's enough blocking in there with Smith that we could run darn near anything and never let the defense substitute since we'd never sub. 

Three TE bunch with WR isolated, Pitts and WR split out with Hurst and Smith in tight, tight running formation with a single split out... on and on. You could go multiple series with that personnel alignment without ever running the same play twice. You could run a dozen different plays out of just one formation. The defense would never know what was coming and Ryan could audible to his heart's content based on how the defense lined up.

Could be a thing of beauty.

9 minutes ago, direwolf said:

I'm sitting here envisioning 13 personnel with Pitts, Hurst, and Smith (who CAN catch in an emergency) and Julio or Ridley as the receiver with a single running back. I'm seeing entire series of no-huddle because there's enough blocking in there with Smith that we could run darn near anything and never let the defense substitute since we'd never sub. 

Three TE bunch with WR isolated, Pitts and WR split out with Hurst and Smith in tight, tight running formation with a single split out... on and on. You could go multiple series with that personnel alignment without ever running the same play twice. You could run a dozen different plays out of just one formation. The defense would never know what was coming and Ryan could audible to his heart's content based on how the defense lined up.

This. A good defense is a great offense. We need our defense to be average and opportunist. And this team is back in the playoffs.

Edited by RazorWing
9 minutes ago, direwolf said:

You could plug Graham in over Smith in that 13 personnel because he's definitely a receiving threat. Running  multiple plays out of a single set to keep the defense from substituting players and then combining that with a hurry up, no-huddle offense would not be fun for a DC to cope with.

21 minutes ago, direwolf said:

Heavy Breathing Cat (@HeavyBreathingC) | Twitter

But, but, we'll never get another chance to pick the 3rd or 4th ranked franchise qb to ride the pines for 2 years. But, but we need a rapidly falling offensive tackle to displace our pro bowl offensive tackle to be a lg.

I see the trade back and get more picks option and have stumped for it. But, but (no sarcasm) if we get pitts @4, and a rb @35, omg what an offense. You could control the ball or score at will.

9 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

You could plug Graham in over Smith in that 13 personnel because he's definitely a receiving threat. Running  multiple plays out of a single set to keep the defense from substituting players and then combining that with a hurry up, no-huddle offense would not be fun for a DC to cope with.

Heavy Breathing GIFs | Tenor

25 minutes ago, direwolf said:

Or 22 personnel with a legit fullback that can block/catch.  Either way, force the 8 man box front and have fun torching the defense from no huddle...unleash Matt Ryan again please!

32 minutes ago, direwolf said:

image.jpeg.875768a48d9d90cd49bdd6e7e5c6f5d1.jpeg

4 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Wow, Pitts has become the new 'draft a QB' frenzy around here. 😄

Legitimate immediate impact guy. Biggest argument if stuck with pick #4 was with drafting someone who won't see the field for 2 years. Most of us don't want to roll over and give up this year when you can't be sure that your qb pick is even going to make a difference when he does get to play. Can't trade back, get a playmaker who makes a difference NOW!

4 minutes ago, Williamb said:

Legitimate immediate impact guy. Biggest argument if stuck with pick #4 was with drafting someone who won't see the field for 2 years. Most of us don't want to roll over and give up this year when you can't be sure that your qb pick is even going to make a difference when he does get to play. Can't trade back, get a playmaker who makes a difference NOW!

Penei Sewell would definitely make a difference I must say. Line of scrimmage always win in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Yes he would be. He isn’t going to get more targets than Julio or Ridley😂😂

29% is quite a few. And for someone who with 100 college receptions....65 went for either 1st downs or tds. I don't really care about targets, i actually prefer mr throwing tds to 13 different people. Its about accountability. Defenses will have to adjust to the potential threat. Jj, ridley, pitts, hurst, rb to be named later.....somebody will be open.

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

Penei Sewell would definitely make a difference I must say. Line of scrimmage always win in the NFL.

I agree, but if I'm doing that, I'm dropping back and getting slater or vera gardner to play lg. Not trying to move matthews to guard.

6 minutes ago, Williamb said:

29% is quite a few. And for someone who with 100 college receptions....65 went for either 1st downs or tds. I don't really care about targets, i actually prefer mr throwing tds to 13 different people. Its about accountability. Defenses will have to adjust to the potential threat. Jj, ridley, pitts, hurst, rb to be named later.....somebody will be open.

Let me tell you how the defense can stop that; pressure with the front 4. Super Bowl proved that. Atlanta o line will have to get better. I don’t care what he did in college. Baker Mayfield used college football as his playground. What Pitts did in college means absolutely nothing to what he will do in the NFL. Not saying he won’t be great. Don’t think it will come as quickly as some think

1 minute ago, Williamb said:

I agree, but if I'm doing that, I'm dropping back and getting slater or vera gardner to play lg. Not trying to move matthews to guard.

You don’t move Matthews. You keep him at LT. Sewell is 330lbs and can play any spot on the line. You put him at guard until Matthews move on in about year or two. But that’s what I would do. Doubt we even draft Sewell