I am excited to see Pees, a proven DC, run our play calling and defensive alignment. He is, however, long-in-the-tooth and will not be a long term answer for us most likely. Who is his head assistant, and how well can he teach him the nuances of the design and correct situational play calling? These are the biggest questions in my mind. I believe whoever it is, if we are successful, is also going to be sought after ala Shanny. I trust and hope we are thinking this way as TF and AS make decisions on staff.

Just now, pa_falcon_fan said:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coaches-roster/matt-pees

Coach Pees son is on the staff.  He has a way to go to have experience, but I am sure he has learned an awful lot about defense from his dad. 

Good Point. I knew that, but, he is a coffee runner atm. I hope he brings it fast, and it's still hot...

3 hours ago, thanat0s said:

Honestly, with out track record of turning supposed defensive gurus into bumbling buffoons, let's just see if Pees himself can field a competent defense before we start wondering who will carry on his legacy.

TF is the key to success with the defense.  Absent a strong defensive draft, I expect nothing more this year than last year.

But I will say, if the defense plays the entire season they way they played the last half of last season, and the offense runs the ball and plays ball control, this team will win more games and the defense will look somewhat better even if it really isn't.  Offense is the key to success this season.  Either Arthur Smith rights that part of the ship or the whole ship goes down.  Dean Pees is a great DC, but he is not a magician.  And even if the offense carries the defense and Pees manages to improve a few key areas, I'd expect us to get exposed in the playoffs or against playoff caliber teams.  We're at least 2 drafts and another FA period away from fielding a good defense.  Maybe more.  Defense is where our talent deficiency lies.

4 hours ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coaches-roster/matt-pees

Coach Pees son is on the staff.  He has a way to go to have experience, but I am sure he has learned an awful lot about defense from his dad. 

I'd be shocked if he isn't the intended heir to the DC job.

3 hours ago, thanat0s said:

Honestly, with out track record of turning supposed defensive gurus into bumbling buffoons, let's just see if Pees himself can field a competent defense before we start wondering who will carry on his legacy.

Honestly we've only had one proven defensive guru in Mike Zimmer (07) as a DC that I can remember. I know we've hired DC's as head coaches but not really any proven guys at DC itself. 

Since 2008

08-11: Brian VanGorder (Now coaching HS)

12-14: Mike Nolan (Just got ran out of Dallas)

15-16: Richard Smith (LB Coach with Chargers-> Now LB Coach Raiders)

17-18: Marquand Manuel: (Now Safeties Coach with Jets)

19-20: Raheem Morris/Ulbrich 

17 minutes ago, FalconDiddly18 said:

Honestly we've only had one proven defensive guru in Mike Zimmer (07) as a DC that I can remember. I know we've hired DC's as head coaches but not really any proven guys at DC itself. 

Since 2008

08-11: Brian VanGorder (Now coaching HS)

12-14: Mike Nolan (Just got ran out of Dallas)

15-16: Richard Smith (LB Coach with Chargers-> Now LB Coach Raiders)

17-18: Marquand Manuel: (Now Safeties Coach with Jets)

19-20: Raheem Morris/Ulbrich 

I think Morris would have been better untethered from Quinn, but yeah -- I think that's all accurate.  And Zimmer was not a bad DC for us at all.  I wish we'd kept him as HC after they fired Pigtrino.

Just now, JDaveG said:

I think Morris would have been better untethered from Quinn, but yeah -- I think that's all accurate.  And Zimmer was not a bad DC for us at all.  I wish we'd kept him as HC after they fired Pigtrino.

Yeah I thought the same thing right after petrino quit. Zimmer had that defense keep us in every game the first half of 07 despite horrific play from the offense. First and almost the only time I've been excited about a Falcons defense. I was sad when we let him go.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

TF is the key to success with the defense.  Absent a strong defensive draft, I expect nothing more this year than last year.

But I will say, if the defense plays the entire season they way they played the last half of last season, and the offense runs the ball and plays ball control, this team will win more games and the defense will look somewhat better even if it really isn't.  Offense is the key to success this season.  Either Arthur Smith rights that part of the ship or the whole ship goes down.  Dean Pees is a great DC, but he is not a magician.  And even if the offense carries the defense and Pees manages to improve a few key areas, I'd expect us to get exposed in the playoffs or against playoff caliber teams.  We're at least 2 drafts and another FA period away from fielding a good defense.  Maybe more.  Defense is where our talent deficiency lies.

I know I saw numerous plays last season where the shallow middle of the field was empty.  Receivers ran through there and if they caught the ball had 10 yards before a defender got to them. 

The great mystery for me is how we looked like a top 10 defense in 1 or 2 games.  I know I remember at least 1 of those.  Other games, we looked out of position and confused.  It looked like we were rotating DCs, even after Morris became interim HC.  I have no idea what was going on.

It was revealed that after watching an onside kick roll 10 yards and allowing the other team to take possession, that was a coaching directive.  Add to this that the obvious incompetence of Dirk Koetter was never dealt with during the season.  I would have had a high school or college coach up in that booth doing the best he could to stop the continual muggings of Matt Ryan.  I cannot understand these coaching blunders.  I tend to think the inconsistency on defense probably came from coaches trying unproven things to turn things around.  I don't have the time or the desire to study games until I could pinpoint the problem   So, I will assume it was coaching. 

With that said, I am hoping that our roster with the journeyman FAs and maybe a draftee or 2 can be an average defense.  Now, what can this new coaching staff do with an average roster?

I agree.  We will not run deep into the playoffs.  There is too much new, too much unproven, too much inexperience together. 

Edited by NorthGaBoy
2 hours ago, NorthGaBoy said:

I know I saw numerous plays last season where the shallow middle of the field was empty.  Receivers ran through there and if they caught the ball had 10 yards before a defender got to them. 

The great mystery for me is how we looked like a top 10 defense in 1 or 2 games.  I know I remember at least 1 of those.  Other games, we looked out of position and confused.  It looked like we were rotating DCs, even after Morris became interim HC.  I have no idea what was going on.

It was revealed that after watching an onside kick roll 10 yards and allowing the other team to take possession, that was a coaching directive.  Add to this that the obvious incompetence of Dirk Koetter was never dealt with during the season.  I would have had a high school or college coach up in that booth doing the best he could to stop the continual muggings of Matt Ryan.  I cannot understand these coaching blunders.  I tend to think the inconsistency on defense probably came from coaches trying unproven things to turn things around.  I don't have the time or the desire to study games until I could pinpoint the problem   So, I will assume it was coaching. 

With that said, I am hoping that our roster with the journeyman FAs and maybe a draftee or 2 can be an average defense.  Now, what can this new coaching staff do with an average roster?

I agree.  We will not run deep into the playoffs.  There is too much new, too much unproven, too much inexperience together. 

When Arthur Smith did a press conference early on, he said basically "there's going to be accountability for our best players.......um, not that there wasn't before.......but um......."  Now, I'm probably overselling that a little with my paraphrase, but it was obvious that was on his mind.  He felt like that was something that was missing here, and he blurted it out and had to cover himself.

On defense in particular, what I think is that rewarding players like Beasley (and before him in the prior regime, Baker) with new contracts, continuing to play guys like Trufant who was putrid for the entire first half of 2019, etc., created a culture in the locker room where players just didn't give a ****.  Grady did.  Guys like Allen who were not great players, but team leaders, did.  On offense Julio and Ryan did.  But you had too many that obviously didn't.  Again, Trufant is the one that really sticks out to me from 2019.  I didn't watch 2020 closely enough to have strong opinions there, but I guarantee there were a lot of guys in the locker room who felt like they didn't have to do their best and they'd still get to play, even start.

They were right about that too.  When your highest paid players are either undeserving of their contracts or get the message they can blow assignments and not care, why would the guy making $800K per year try hard?  I know Quinn knows how to coach.  I know Morris knows how to coach.  I think the problem is Quinn was way too soft on the players.  Not that you want a return to Petrino, but there is a happy medium between rewarding mediocrity and being a jerk to your best players.

7 hours ago, thanat0s said:

Honestly, with our track record of turning supposed defensive gurus into bumbling buffoons, let's just see if Pees himself can field a competent defense before we start wondering who will carry on his legacy.

DCs love strip clubs. 

Really ATL needs to do something about keeping Falcons out of the clubs.

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

When Arthur Smith did a press conference early on, he said basically "there's going to be accountability for our best players.......um, not that there wasn't before.......but um......."  Now, I'm probably overselling that a little with my paraphrase, but it was obvious that was on his mind.  He felt like that was something that was missing here, and he blurted it out and had to cover himself.

On defense in particular, what I think is that rewarding players like Beasley (and before him in the prior regime, Baker) with new contracts, continuing to play guys like Trufant who was putrid for the entire first half of 2019, etc., created a culture in the locker room where players just didn't give a ****.  Grady did.  Guys like Allen who were not great players, but team leaders, did.  On offense Julio and Ryan did.  But you had too many that obviously didn't.  Again, Trufant is the one that really sticks out to me from 2019.  I didn't watch 2020 closely enough to have strong opinions there, but I guarantee there were a lot of guys in the locker room who felt like they didn't have to do their best and they'd still get to play, even start.

They were right about that too.  When your highest paid players are either undeserving of their contracts or get the message they can blow assignments and not care, why would the guy making $800K per year try hard?  I know Quinn knows how to coach.  I know Morris knows how to coach.  I think the problem is Quinn was way too soft on the players.  Not that you want a return to Petrino, but there is a happy medium between rewarding mediocrity and being a jerk to your best players.

He's right. There was no accountability. The last two years were a nightmare on D and guys were allowed to skate through. I don't understand what happened to Debo. He looked utterly lost the last two seasons.

Just now, Jesus said:

He's right. There was no accountability. The last two years were a nightmare on D and guys were allowed to skate through. I don't understand what happened to Debo. He looked utterly lost the last two seasons.

That game where Trufant covered an acre of empty grass while Allen was hung out to dry still pisses me off to this day.  I think it was @PeytonMannings Forehead who said "go find some work" in one of his Xs and Os threads.

Trufant went and found himself a one snap vacation.  He was out there on an island, covering no one except an offensive tackle who reported as eligible (the LB can probably handle that assignment).  Meanwhile, Tru's man motioned to the other side, leaving a numbers advantage.

Just now, JDaveG said:

That game where Trufant covered an acre of empty grass while Allen was hung out to dry still pisses me off to this day.  I think it was @PeytonMannings Forehead who said "go find some work" in one of his Xs and Os threads.

Trufant went and found himself a one snap vacation.  He was out there on an island, covering no one except an offensive tackle who reported as eligible (the LB can probably handle that assignment).  Meanwhile, Tru's man motioned to the other side, leaving a numbers advantage.

There were games where the players were running one play and the opponent was like? Really? Free play? That Texans game from 2019 was insane. Remember Oliver? He can't be that bad.

Just now, Jesus said:

There were games where the players were running one play and the opponent was like? Really? Free play? That Texans game from 2019 was insane. Remember Oliver? He can't be that bad.

Can't be.  But I bet he has a bad case of the "don't give a ****s."

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Can't be.  But I bet he has a bad case of the "don't give a ****s."

That was obvious. He would **** on a whole game then make a game saving tackle.

As long as Quinn and his merry band of pranksters are off f'ing up Dallas this team will be better.