Jump to content

We can take Kyle Pitts and still trade down..


Recommended Posts

I think we're thinking that these things are mutually exclusive when that's not the case. We pick again at the very top of round two.

Every single year there are a flurry of trade ups at the top of round 2 by teams catching falling players. In 2019 the 34th, 35th, 37th and 38th pick all got traded. In 2020 the 34th and 37th picks got traded. Happens every year.

If we take Pitts I believe we need to trade down at the top of round 2 and pick up an extra 3rd and 5th or so and then find a RB somewhere, but go straight defense afterwards.

How would this look?

 

Round 1 - TE Kyle Pitts

Trade down with Washington who comes up for Trask. We trade pick #35 to Washington for pick #51, #74 and #163.

Round 2 - CB Asante Samuel JR

Round 3 - S Hamsah Nasirildeen

Round 3 - RB Kenneth Gainwell

Round 4 - DT Alim Mcneil

Round 5 - S Ar'darius Washington

Round 5 - IOL Drake Jackson

Round 5 -RB Rhamondre Stevenson

Round 6 - BPA

Round 6 - BPA

 

So with this mock the offense adds an elite, top flight weapon that'll help us shed significant cap dollars very soon, we shore up the secondary and fix the RB room. Still missing edge rush, but you can't fix it all in one draft. Grady and the LBs will be the focal point of the pass rush IMO.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I think we're thinking that these things are mutually exclusive when that's not the case. We pick again at the very top of round two.

Every single year there are a flurry of trade ups at the top of round 2 by teams catching falling players. In 2019 the 34th, 35th, 37th and 38th pick all got traded. In 2020 the 34th and 37th picks got traded. Happens every year.

If we take Pitts I believe we need to trade down at the top of round 2 and pick up an extra 3rd and 5th or so and then find a RB somewhere, but go straight defense afterwards.

How would this look?

 

Round 1 - TE Kyle Pitts

Trade down with Washington who comes up for Trask. We trade pick #35 to Washington for pick #51, #74 and #163.

Round 2 - CB Asante Samuel JR

Round 3 - S Hamsah Nasirildeen

Round 3 - RB Kenneth Gainwell

Round 4 - DT Alim Mcneil

Round 5 - S Ar'darius Washington

Round 5 - IOL Drake Jackson

Round 5 -RB Rhamondre Stevenson

Round 6 - BPA

Round 6 - BPA

 

So with this mock the offense adds an elite, top flight weapon that'll help us shed significant cap dollars very soon, we shore up the secondary and fix the RB room. Still missing edge rush, but you can't fix it all in one draft. Grady and the LBs will be the focal point of the pass rush IMO.

 

 

Good call.  I tried to make this point in a different thread.  You don't have to trade #4 if you want to accumulate extra picks on Day 2 or 3 of this year's draft.  In fact, to get fair value for the 4th pick, the bulk of what you receive will come in the form of future 1st rd picks (see the Miami-SF trade, SF only traded a 3rd this yr).

Our pick the top of round 2 is much more likely to net extra draft picks this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I think we're thinking that these things are mutually exclusive when that's not the case. We pick again at the very top of round two.

Every single year there are a flurry of trade ups at the top of round 2 by teams catching falling players. In 2019 the 34th, 35th, 37th and 38th pick all got traded. In 2020 the 34th and 37th picks got traded. Happens every year.

If we take Pitts I believe we need to trade down at the top of round 2 and pick up an extra 3rd and 5th or so and then find a RB somewhere, but go straight defense afterwards.

How would this look?

 

Round 1 - TE Kyle Pitts

Trade down with Washington who comes up for Trask. We trade pick #35 to Washington for pick #51, #74 and #163.

Round 2 - CB Asante Samuel JR

Round 3 - S Hamsah Nasirildeen

Round 3 - RB Kenneth Gainwell

Round 4 - DT Alim Mcneil

Round 5 - S Ar'darius Washington

Round 5 - IOL Drake Jackson

Round 5 -RB Rhamondre Stevenson

Round 6 - BPA

Round 6 - BPA

 

So with this mock the offense adds an elite, top flight weapon that'll help us shed significant cap dollars very soon, we shore up the secondary and fix the RB room. Still missing edge rush, but you can't fix it all in one draft. Grady and the LBs will be the focal point of the pass rush IMO.

 

 

i like that idea a whole lot. drafted players are awesome. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

Maybe but I’d personally like to take a RB at the top of the 2nd.  Still hoping Harris falls to our 2nd pick and while I like the Davis signing I don’t see him as our starting RB.  

I'd love one of the RBs, but we are in desperate need of a safety. Not sure what the talent drop is looking like for this Safety class from the 2nd to the 3rd, just know Moehring is projected as the best in the class and probably goes in the 1st.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

He has mad hops.  Does not play like his dad.  

— Bigger receivers just push him around in the route

This is a problem. Multiple receivers in the Notre Dame game this season were just able to manhandle Samuel and take him from a good position when the ball was in the air to a bad position by the time it arrived at the catch point.

They didn’t all result in completions, but the fact they found it so easy to move him around speaks to the issues he is going to have against physically imposing receivers in the NFL. Samuel needs to be stronger once he has contact with the receiver in-phase, and there’s just no easy way of doing that against a guy 50 pounds heavier.

But there is no escaping the fact that at some point in the NFL, he will have to cover a physical freak like D.K. Metcalf and come up with a way of offsetting six inches in height, five inches in arm length, 50 pounds in weight and a tenth of a second in the 40-yard dash. That’s like fighting against gravity — it is just not a battle you’re going to win.

No Thanks to 5'10 180 lbs... that lacks speed to keep up with the big boys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

Maybe but I’d personally like to take a RB at the top of the 2nd.  Still hoping Harris falls to our 2nd pick and while I like the Davis signing I don’t see him as our starting RB.  

Harris and Pitts would be awesome 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, TheHeartless said:

I'd love one of the RBs, but we are in desperate need of a safety. Not sure what the talent drop is looking like for this Safety class from the 2nd to the 3rd, just know Moehring is projected as the best in the class and probably goes in the 1st.

We def. need a couple of safetys but outside of Moehring who would you take at the top of the 2nd without it being a reach.  From what I’ve read it looks like round 3 is where we’ll look to address the safety position.  Not sure about Nasirildeen but I could see him being our 3rd round pick.  Sounds more like an in the box type safety who struggles in coverage though.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Truth be told I'm sure the lure of the trade down for the #4 pick specifically is the opportunity to gain present AND future draft wealth more than anything, in particular a future 1st rounder.

Especially if you're in the no QB crowd. The thinking is that you can leverage 2 1st round picks next year or the year beyond to "go get your QB"

So it's not just about accumulating draft picks, it's about the significance of those draft picks accumulated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Truth be told I'm sure the lure of the trade down for the #4 pick specifically is the opportunity to gain present AND future draft wealth more than anything, in particular a future 1st rounder.

Especially if you're in the no QB crowd. The thinking is that you can leverage 2 1st round picks next year or the year beyond to "go get your QB"

So it's not just about accumulating draft picks, it's about the significance of those draft picks accumulated.

That's definitely the allure of trading back with some QB desperate team. You get that 2022 1st rounder. Even if you end up trading back with it next year, it's the trade that keeps on giving.

 

All in all, I get the OP. There are definitely other opportunities to move around besides the first round. I don't do it because I think it turns mocking into a circus, but that doesn't mean in real life teams don't do it every year.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Can we focus on the fact that we can still trade down while selecting an elite talent? It was a 5 second mock that wasnt the point of this lol

 I still can't believe you took that guy, whoever he was, in round 5... smh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Truth be told I'm sure the lure of the trade down for the #4 pick specifically is the opportunity to gain present AND future draft wealth more than anything, in particular a future 1st rounder.

Especially if you're in the no QB crowd. The thinking is that you can leverage 2 1st round picks next year or the year beyond to "go get your QB"

So it's not just about accumulating draft picks, it's about the significance of those draft picks accumulated.

Exactly I want a future 1st round pick. Maybe even two future 1st round picks depending on the team and how far we go back

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I think we're thinking that these things are mutually exclusive when that's not the case. We pick again at the very top of round two.

Every single year there are a flurry of trade ups at the top of round 2 by teams catching falling players. In 2019 the 34th, 35th, 37th and 38th pick all got traded. In 2020 the 34th and 37th picks got traded. Happens every year.

If we take Pitts I believe we need to trade down at the top of round 2 and pick up an extra 3rd and 5th or so and then find a RB somewhere, but go straight defense afterwards.

How would this look?

 

Round 1 - TE Kyle Pitts

Trade down with Washington who comes up for Trask. We trade pick #35 to Washington for pick #51, #74 and #163.

Round 2 - CB Asante Samuel JR

Round 3 - S Hamsah Nasirildeen

Round 3 - RB Kenneth Gainwell

Round 4 - DT Alim Mcneil

Round 5 - S Ar'darius Washington

Round 5 - IOL Drake Jackson

Round 5 -RB Rhamondre Stevenson

Round 6 - BPA

Round 6 - BPA

 

So with this mock the offense adds an elite, top flight weapon that'll help us shed significant cap dollars very soon, we shore up the secondary and fix the RB room. Still missing edge rush, but you can't fix it all in one draft. Grady and the LBs will be the focal point of the pass rush IMO.

 

 

Cool with me.  Pitts is a freak. This is also a scenerio if we go Lance.  😁

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could understand trading down from four and taking Pitts if he's still there at 8 or 9, but if we do something like this, the only way to go into the season would be to trade a few of those picks for a starting offensive lineman or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

We def. need a couple of safetys but outside of Moehring who would you take at the top of the 2nd without it being a reach.  From what I’ve read it looks like round 3 is where we’ll look to address the safety position.  Not sure about Nasirildeen but I could see him being our 3rd round pick.  Sounds more like an in the box type safety who struggles in coverage though.  

No clue honestly, from what I've seen people say the safety class is a weak one, which is unfortunate. Haven't done much research on safeties or prospects past the 1st for the most part personally. Seen Jamar Johnson's name pop up as a bit of a sleeper, seems he's projected to go between the 2nd and 3rd. Believe Cisco is another who's stock dropped due to injury problems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...