Quarterback Question

The consensus is, even for those who advocate drafting a qb this year at 4, is that he would have to sit for 1-2 years behind Ryan due to cap constraints. So the Question is...

Do any of you think that there won't be a qb available in 2 years that we can draft and start? Why can't we build the team around Ryan for a couple years and then draft a qb...you know...when we actually need one?

54 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

The consensus is, even for those who advocate drafting a qb this year at 4, is that he would have to sit for 1-2 years behind Ryan due to cap constraints. So the Question is...

Do any of you think that there won't be a qb available in 2 years that we can draft and start? Why can't we build the team around Ryan for a couple years and then draft a qb...you know...when we actually need one?

Because then we would be the colts 

No doubt there will likely be guys available 2 years down the line. I think a big question is will we be in position to draft them? And if not, are you okay with giving up hefty draft capital to get one?

If you really like a guy from this class, feel like he can be the future, and he's there, you should take him. You don't have to give up draft capital.

Sean Payton said that Mahomes was the greatest QB prospect he'd ever scouted. I obviously have the benefit of hindsight and he probably won't admit it but they would've probably gotten over the hump had he did what he could to get him. Their future would be a lot more certain at this point.

Will Ryan's replacement have to be an NCAA rookie boy? Why can't he be a seasoned vet like a Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Steve Young or Kurt Warner? All of whom won Lombardies with their second team. Joe Montana, Brett Favre, Warren Moon, Rich Gannon, Randall Cunningham, Ryan Tannehill, Chris Chandler, Michael Vick, Matt Schaub and Alex Smith all had decent seasons after moving to new teams. For some reason TATF thinks the only way to build a team is through the freakin draft.

Of course there are a lot of unknowns but my best guess is if they don’t take a QB this year then they probably won’t take one next year either unless Matt drops off a cliff and we are picking top 5 again or they just don’t like the QBs this year after the first 3 are (probably) taken? I don’t think that you pass on the QB for the sake of 1 year if you like him and I don’t think that you take a QB if you believe the guy you have is good for 2 years plus, unless there’s a plan to trade him. If they don’t take the QB then I’d expect them to plan ahead and I’d be looking for them to get extra draft capital for 2023 or 2024 draft, so that they can make any move far less painful.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Will Ryan's replacement have to be an NCAA rookie boy? Why can't he be a seasoned vet like a Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Steve Young or Kurt Warner? All of whom won Lombardies with their second team. Joe Montana, Brett Favre, Warren Moon, Rich Gannon, Randall Cunningham, Ryan Tannehill, Chris Chandler, Michael Vick, Matt Schaub and Alex Smith all had decent seasons after moving to new teams. For some reason TATF thinks the only way to build a team is through the freakin draft.

All of the current vets are being replaced by NCAA rookie boys. In 2 years, who can you see as a realistic replacement that's going to accept the same deal as the 3 you named

I'm at the point where I have placed my trust in the front office.  I'm not at all concerned about the future as I think they are dealing with it.  I don't know Arthurs mind, not really have been a student of his offensive philosophy, but he took Ryan ******* Tannehill and made him a great starter.  So, I'm not remotely worried about the future at QB.  Not even remotely.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

The two options above, replace Ryan with a vet on his second team or draft his replacement next year or 2023 are logical to me, and preferred options to drafting his backup at 4.

If Lance (for example) is 'da future and we knew that for a fact, then yes, it would be stupid not to draft him. It's not possible though, so can we trade back a scootch and load up the rest of the 53 with cheap, young talent? 

6 hours ago, Falconcheff said:

-Because they live for draft night, not the season. They crave all that 'could be' adrenaline to the point where they pay zero  attention to whether that player can help us win games, or the fact that they took a guy whose contract will be largely wasted on a tablet holder. 

-Mostly, they're kids, who have no memory of say, the 80s (or even 2007!), and what life without a franchise QB can be like.

- Some have never forgiven Matt for being 10x the QB Vick ever was. Sad, but true.

- Some blame the QB for everything bad that happens to a team, so they think some rook is going to magically change that (Magic Beans thinking)

Those are just ones off the top of my head. I'm sure the list goes on. 

11 hours ago, The Architect said:

No doubt there will likely be guys available 2 years down the line. I think a big question is will we be in position to draft them? And if not, are you okay with giving up hefty draft capital to get one?

If you really like a guy from this class, feel like he can be the future, and he's there, you should take him. You don't have to give up draft capital.

Sean Payton said that Mahomes was the greatest QB prospect he'd ever scouted. I obviously have the benefit of hindsight and he probably won't admit it but they would've probably gotten over the hump had he did what he could to get him. Their future would be a lot more certain at this point.

The belief that QB's can't be found outside of the top 5 to 10 is a mistake.  If you find a guy you like in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round and honestly gave him a real chance to succeed you might be surprised what the hit rate is for these prospects are.  The real advantage a 1st round QB has is that they get a 3 plus year leash to succeed.  This is the reason Jax will trade Minshew for a bag of doritos just to see him have a nice career with another team. While highly drafted QB's may check a few more boxes with regard to the eye test or in drills, there are a lot of guys that never get the opportunity particularly with the team that drafts them.