If we stay at #4, who is the safest pick?

4 hours ago, #84 said:

Safest is Chase he is more NFL ready than Pitts or Sewell.  Sewell needs work on balance pretty much every scouting report agrees on that and Pitts is gonna have to expand the route tree playing a flex TE at the NFL level.  Chase is as close to a plug and play starter as it gets for a rookie.  Sitting out this year has really made people forget how fluid he is in every aspect of the game.

Highest upside hard to say all three are uniquely gifted athletes.  They are the type of guys you bring in expecting big time career results.

What is meant by safest?  Which prospect is least injury-prone?  Which prospect will have the best rookie campaign?  Which prospect is a guaranteed starter for the next decade?

Who really knows?  Chase is great prospect but will his time away from the field actually make him more likely to injure his hamstring during his rookie year?  I don't know.  

Heck, Sewell did not even play this past year. I am very wary of that.  A lot of college players look like studs as juniors, only to have flat seasons as seniors.  

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chase hands down. His 3.98 - 20 yd shuttle sealed the freaking deal For comparison, Julio 4.25, Ridley 4.34

Pitts, Sewell. Chase isnt a bad call either. 

Chase in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, etherdome said:

What is meant by safest?  Which prospect is least injury-prone?  Which prospect will have the best rookie campaign?  Which prospect is a guaranteed starter for the next decade?

Who really knows?  Chase is great prospect but will his time away from the field actually make him more likely to injure his hamstring during his rookie year?  I don't know.  

Heck, Sewell did not even play this past year. I am very wary of that.  A lot of college players look like studs as juniors, only to have flat seasons as seniors.  

Whatever way you look at it, it's a crapshoot for sure.  Roll the dice on the guy you like and move to the next round.

By safe do we mean most likely to be great, or just most likely to be a solid starter who can be a 10 year player, I.e. the highest floor? Assuming we’re discussing the latter position versatility is important.

guys I think are safer, high floor guys include Slater, Vera-Tucker, Parsons, Chase, Moehrig

Well, it's a tough question, because can I assume you mean players that can actually impact games and change losses to wins in 2021?

Because no matter what anyone thinks of a QB or receiver, they aren't going to be that for us. They're just another mouth to feed for zero to minimal impact.

So, as far as greatest immediate impact and best prospect, I'd say Sewell is the low hanging fruit. I also think Surtain, Parsons, and Slater are great prospects who can actually help win games day one. 

I'd be happy with any of those four guys, though I think they'd choose Parsons or Surtain. 

9 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If Pitts or Chase are on the ground or dropping balls they are affecting plays in the wrong way.

Yeah, but Chase's catch percentage is among the highest in football from 2019. The same isn't true of Pitts. He requires a *lot* more projection. This thread is about the safest. When you're projecting a player, that's unsafe.

Of course, this year's draft comes with the least safety in recent memory since so much of the game film is sketchy. And then there are the players like Chase who sat out the season.

4 hours ago, thanat0s said:

Well, it's a tough question, because can I assume you mean players that can actually impact games and change losses to wins in 2021?

Because no matter what anyone thinks of a QB or receiver, they aren't going to be that for us. They're just another mouth to feed for zero to minimal impact.

So, as far as greatest immediate impact and best prospect, I'd say Sewell is the low hanging fruit. I also think Surtain, Parsons, and Slater are great prospects who can actually help win games day one. 

I'd be happy with any of those four guys, though I think they'd choose Parsons or Surtain. 

You know, I was at a toss up between Surtain and Parsons in the first; the thing that ultimately decided it for me was understanding that I could likely get Azeez Ojulari in the second for pass rushing, but not a Surtain-like quality in the second as defensive back...

1 minute ago, Falconcheff said:

You know, I was at a toss up between Surtain and Parsons in the first; the thing that ultimately decided it for me was understanding that I could likely get Azeez Ojulari in the second for pass rushing, but not a Surtain-like quality in the second as defensive back...

That’s a smart way to look at who to take when if all things are fairly equal. I think Surtain and Newsome are the best CBs in this draft, and I have doubts Newsome lasts into round two now, either.

If we do go Parsons, that leaves me having us take a guy like Dickerson for the OL, and then betting on the physical traits with Stokes, for instance. 

Everything hinges on that round one decision, though. 

15 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Barely related, but I think it’s funny that folks forget we first attempted to get AJ, not Julio, and only took him when we couldn’t get high enough to draft AJ. 😄

and were angling for Von Miller, but Denver wouldn't bite at #2.

8 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Honestly, I don't think there is such a thing as a safe pick.  They are all risky due to injury or failure to adapt.  So really, I'm going to cop out and say none.

Who do you feel most certain will have a long and productive career in the NFL amongst who is likely to be available at 4?

7 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I don't think we are moving on from Jake any time soon. If we took sewell he would likely play guard unless mcgary crapped the bed which is possible. I do think pitts is the cost effective answer though, like you said. We could trade julio after this year and let hurst walk for a comp pick and it'd ease the pain of taking a skill position at 4 

Sewell is better than any option we have at LG at this point.  Seeing the impact guys like Quenton Nelson and Scherff have had on the interior, I'm plenty happy to draft Sewell at 4 even if he has to play guard for a few years or longer.  

7 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

Who do you feel most certain will have a long and productive career in the NFL amongst who is likely to be available at 4?

Well, you have to bet that's the OT. A lot less movement overall, which means fewer opportunities for serious injury. 

Just now, Knight of God said:

Pitt is an anomaly. Like a glitch. Hes a TE with top tier WR measurables. They are not the same. I can run 2 TE sets and have insane mismatches in a TE dominant offense. I like Chase though.

I get it.. about the Blocking of Pitts... If we draft him... you cannot put that kid to block you have to utilize his route running and measurables to get advantage, no the blocking or lack of... I still think they go Fields.. but Pitts, Penei or Chase would be really good.. Also Surtain in a trade back..

12 minutes ago, Fernando C. said:

I get it.. about the Blocking of Pitts... If we draft him... you cannot put that kid to block you have to utilize his route running and measurables to get advantage, no the blocking or lack of... I still think they go Fields.. but Pitts, Penei or Chase would be really good.. Also Surtain in a trade back..

He wont need to block much, thats why we got a good blocker in a  FA.... Smith. 

Pitts and it's not even close. 

35 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Pitt is an anomaly. Like a glitch. Hes a TE with top tier WR measurables. They are not the same. I can run 2 TE sets and have insane mismatches in a TE dominant offense. I like Chase though.

You see what I see.

Dude is in the mold of Megatron and Julio. A game-breaker. Someone who just outdoes everyone at all levels.