Jump to content

Hypothetical: We draft Pitts and Ryan struggles...


Recommended Posts

Pitts is the hot name getting thrown around lately. I’ve seen a few posters stating that he’ll take our offense to the next level.

If Ryan puts up similar numbers as he did last year with Pitts, and Smith at the helm; 

Would you address the QB position after that season? If no, why not?

What stats would you expect of Ryan with Julio, Ridley, Gage, Hurst, and Pitts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Um yeah 

How? He posted the 5th highest passer rating in a season of his career. Had 6 games of a 100+ passer rating, 9 of 90+, and 11 of 80+ (82ish is about average). He had 2-3 stinkers, but overall 2020 was an above average season for Ryan in comparison to the rest of his career. All that while getting calls from one of the worst OCs in the league. 

Edited by dirtybirds233
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd give Ryan 2022 as well before I figured him to be on the downward slope. But of course if he has an uncharacteristically down year then I'd start thinking about drafting his replacement. 

I'm not expecting him to have a down year and especially not if given Pitts. Of course there's injuries and bad oline play but you can't put that on him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Pitts is the hot name getting thrown around lately. I’ve seen a few posters stating that he’ll take our offense to the next level.

If Ryan puts up similar numbers as he did last year with Pitts, and Smith at the helm; 

Would you address the QB position after that season? If no, why not?

What stats would you expect of Ryan with Julio, Ridley, Gage, Hurst, and Pitts?

As a person that watches a lot of football...

There is absolutely no way, Ryan struggles if everyone is healthy and we effectively run 2 TE sets with Julio and Ridley on the outside. I’m serious...

There is no way the offense struggles with that as our base set lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Foo Falcons said:

I'd give Ryan 2022 as well before I figured him to be on the downward slope. But of course if he has an uncharacteristically down year then I'd start thinking about drafting his replacement. 

I'm not expecting him to have a down year and especially not if given Pitts. Of course there's injuries and bad oline play but you can't put that on him. 

Fair enough. So basically you would roll the dice again? Correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Should be expected. See last seasons MVP

I'm hoping it's close enough to Shanny's offense that there aren't too many.

I actually don't think Ryan is done (he's been the main reason for any relevance the last decade), but I sort of see a 3 year window for him and I hate to lose one of those to getting used to the system.  But it's entirely possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jidady said:

The possibility of Ryan struggling isn't in my top 10 concerns for this team in 2021...especially if we get Pitts or Chase.

This. Ryan played just fine last season dealing with Koetter. Now his plays will be called by a man that made Ryan Tannehill a pro bowler. Ryan struggling isn't even on my radar at the moment

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Macintez said:

As a person that watches a lot of football...

There is absolutely no way, Ryan struggles if everyone is healthy and we effectively run 2 TE sets with Julio and Ridley on the outside. I’m serious...

There is no way the offense struggles with that as our base set lol

Perhaps but that wasn’t my question. I’m asking a hypothetical and the seeing what you would do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Did Matt Ryan struggle last year or something?

He did struggle more than what some people want to admit.

And his struggles were part of the reason why the offense was very up and down....far more than some here want to admit.

Of course everyone here will just blame Dirk and play calling...no matter what....even when Ryan missed on throws that he should have made that were open...and had he made the throws the offense would have scored more points.

Getting Julio healthy will help.

Gage's and Ridley hopeful continued development should help.

Getting Davis and hopefully a home run threat in the draft should help.

The continued development of the young guys on the line will help.

Hopefully getting a defense that will keep a lead that the offense gives them will help.

I am hoping that those things will help Ryan not press as much as he did in 2020 because he was off last year more than he normally is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

Perhaps but that wasn’t my question. I’m asking a hypothetical and the seeing what you would do. 

Depends on the kind of struggle in this hypothetical.

If the OGs are getting blown up and he isn't having time to throw...you do one thing.

If the timing between WR and QB aren't great due to a new system and you see some instances where QB and WR aren't on the same page, you do another.

If the QB isn't able to make throws you need for the offense to work, and you see him underthrowing passes, missing the 15 yard outs with too much float...then you do something else (probably get a QB).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

How? He posted the 5th highest passer rating in a season of his career. Had 6 games of a 100+ passer rating and 11 of 80+ (82ish is about average). He had 2-3 stinkers, but overall 2020 was an above average season for Ryan in comparison to the rest of his career. 

Other than the 2nd TB game and KC, none of those teams were legit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...