Jump to content

NFL NOW | Adam Schefter "backlash" Falcons hold #4 owerall pick to restructure Matt Ryan's contract


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the idea that we won't trade the pick with the Panthers is overrated. My thought process is to do what's best for OUR team. Not worrying about who the Panthers will draft. Thats bish made thin

"Backslash?" "Faltons?" Lol what?

I like how they say that it's extremely difficult to get rid of ryan before 2023, but then say to take a qb and let him sit for 2021. Well, what about 2022? Let him sit for two years? Sit 40 million o

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I like how they say that it's extremely difficult to get rid of ryan before 2023, but then say to take a qb and let him sit for 2021. Well, what about 2022? Let him sit for two years? Sit 40 million on the bench? What's the answer there?

Trade back is the simple answer for me. Sit someone two years at #4 QB money and not to play for two years, and not knowing if they are the "new franchise guy" is a no brainer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what NO ONE has said about Trey Lance.  IFFFFF we were to draft him and sit him 1/2 years behind Matt, that will mean this kid has sat out of meaningful games for 2/3 years with only 1 college season under his belt.  Thats a lot to ask from a young kid as they are to lead your franchise for 10+ years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I like how they say that it's extremely difficult to get rid of ryan before 2023, but then say to take a qb and let him sit for 2021. Well, what about 2022? Let him sit for two years? Sit 40 million on the bench? What's the answer there?

I want to trade back and pick Kyle Pitts but I know QB is still an option at 4 regardless of Ryan restructure. Now had it been an extension I would say it’s 0% chance, but they just opened up just enough cap to get under the salary cap and signed a bunch of 1 year players.

The dead cap is 40m for 2022 so if they plan on repeating what they did this free agency thus far. They could be willing to get rid of Ryan next year.

They would probably look to trade him and acquire picks. It’s possible he could net 2 1st or a future 1st and 2nd. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I like how they say that it's extremely difficult to get rid of ryan before 2023, but then say to take a qb and let him sit for 2021. Well, what about 2022? Let him sit for two years? Sit 40 million on the bench? What's the answer there?

Agreed. By drafting a quarterback, they'd be sitting him for at least two years before he gets a shot at starting. And even then, there's no guarantee that he would be worth the wait.

In the meantime, they would have to build two sets of teams; one to stay relatively competitive in the here and now and another for the heir apparent once Ryan, Julio, and others are gone. I don't know of any head coach or front office who was given a two-year pass for their won-loss record based on waiting for the contract of an incumbent player to become more viable to move on from. The only other example I could think of was when the Spurs waited for David Robinson to fulfill his Naval duties before stepping on the court. But that's another league in an entirely different era with a whole set of different rules.

Just draft a ransom note and send it to Colorado. See if they'll bite...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

Here's what NO ONE has said about Trey Lance.  IFFFFF we were to draft him and sit him 1/2 years behind Matt, that will mean this kid has sat out of meaningful games for 2/3 years with only 1 college season under his belt.  Thats a lot to ask from a young kid as they are to lead your franchise for 10+ years.

 

Really it all comes down to Arthur Smith's confidence in developing someone like Lance and what type of player he expects him to be once he does step on the field.

 

Smith and Fontenot would look like fools if Lance doesn't develop into a bonafide stud at QB. But if Lance does, then they'll look like geniuses and possibly open up a new era of Falcons football for the next maybe 15 years.

 

It's all about if they are willing to take that chance. Are they willing to live or die on their own sword?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kung Fu Kenny said:

I want to trade back and pick Kyle Pitts but I know QB is still an option at 4 regardless of Ryan restructure. Now had it been an extension I would say it’s 0% chance, but they just opened up just enough cap to get under the salary cap and signed a bunch of 1 year players.

The dead cap is 40m for 2022 so if they plan on repeating what they did this free agency thus far. They could be willing to get rid of Ryan next year.

They would probably look to trade him and acquire picks. It’s possible he could net 2 1st or a future 1st and 2nd. 

According to the year he has this year, that will make or break his value in a trade.  I honestly don't see us getting higher than a late 1st (biiiiiig if) but a 2nd and a late pick to be more realistic

Link to post
Share on other sites

They may not wanna draft a quarterback at 4 because said quarterback may not be worth picking at 4 for whatever reason,  but don't want to trade the pick to Carolina within the division because they don't want that quarterback to play well against them in the division. WHICH one is it gonna be Falcons?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

Really it all comes down to Arthur Smith's confidence in developing someone like Lance and what type of player he expects him to be once he does step on the field.

 

Smith and Fontenot would look like fools if Lance doesn't into a bonafide stud at QB. But if Lance does, then they'll look like geniuses and possibly opened up a new era of Falcons football for the next maybe 15 years.

 

It's all about if they are willing to take that chance. Are they willing to live or die on their own sword?

I can't disagree with that at all, especially if Arthur is great at developing offensive weapons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not pro or anti any move, except anti-Sewell that’s the only move dumb from day 1

If they think they see their QB of the future, the thought process of “sit for 2 years is better than scrambling to find our QB in 2 years” is not asinine to me. But I also don’t believe in drafting mid-round QB’s or praying for luck in FA to sign a vet so that factors into my thinking 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

Here's what NO ONE has said about Trey Lance.  IFFFFF we were to draft him and sit him 1/2 years behind Matt, that will mean this kid has sat out of meaningful games for 2/3 years with only 1 college season under his belt.  Thats a lot to ask from a young kid as they are to lead your franchise for 10+ years.

Mahomes sat for one. Rodgers sat a while. Love is sitting now.

He won't be sitting on his couch. He'll be getting reps and doing a lot of things. He might be subbing in on packages. Who knows.

I think it's a year early myself, but I'm not calling the shots, so we'll see how high our GM and coaches are on QBs in about 30 days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Trade back is the simple answer for me. Sit someone two years at #4 QB money and not to play for two years, and not knowing if they are the "new franchise guy" is a no brainer. 

Let's not forget Arthur Smith contract is 3 years. Do you draft a QB at 4 and have him sit for 2/3rds of your contract? Or do you get a piece you believe contributes immediately to your contract extension?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, celtiksage said:

Mahomes sat for one. Rodgers sat a while. Love is sitting now.

He won't be sitting on his couch. He'll be getting reps and doing a lot of things. He might be subbing in on packages. Who knows.

I think it's a year early myself, but I'm not calling the shots, so we'll see how high our GM and coaches are on QBs in about 30 days.

I agree yes QBs can sit and learn and get better.  I witnessed Mahomes go through this living out here in KC.  Difference with all the other Qbs you mentioned is that they had a couple years in college under their belts.  Anyone we get this year would have to sit, unless Matt gets hurt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

Let's not forget Arthur Smith contract is 3 years. Do you draft a QB at 4 and have him sit for 2/3rds of your contract? Or do you get a piece you believe contributes immediately to your contract extension?

Again to the fifth poster of this claim where does it say he has a three year contract?  Several others have said this yet no one has provided any proof.

Edited by Someday soon
s
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I like how they say that it's extremely difficult to get rid of ryan before 2023, but then say to take a qb and let him sit for 2021. Well, what about 2022? Let him sit for two years? Sit 40 million on the bench? What's the answer there?

lol it was kind of funny how they acknowledged that, but then sort of collectively decided that narrative is boring and that they are ESPN, so let's spice it up with some more QB controversy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kung Fu Kenny said:

I want to trade back and pick Kyle Pitts but I know QB is still an option at 4 regardless of Ryan restructure. Now had it been an extension I would say it’s 0% chance, but they just opened up just enough cap to get under the salary cap and signed a bunch of 1 year players.

The dead cap is 40m for 2022 so if they plan on repeating what they did this free agency thus far. They could be willing to get rid of Ryan next year.

They would probably look to trade him and acquire picks. It’s possible he could net 2 1st or a future 1st and 2nd. 

Pitts is an attractive prospect to several teams in the top 10.  If we trade back, we should be prepared to see him get drafted ahead of us.  

For that reason, I would insist on acquiring several valuable assets in the trade.  For example:  trade with Denver and receive Simmons plus their first round pick in 2022.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's true that Smith and Fontenot are on 3 year contracts, why would they draft a QB that wouldn't start until the final year of said contracts? AS and TF aren't looking at 2024 and beyond, they're looking at winning as soon as possible in order to keep their jobs. Drafting a QB that'll sit for 2 years doesn't move that needle. Trading back can garner an additional 2-3 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds which would allow us to rebuild the defense and potentially the IOL. I just don't see the Falcons taking a QB at #4 unless they simply can't find a trade partner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I like how they say that it's extremely difficult to get rid of ryan before 2023, but then say to take a qb and let him sit for 2021. Well, what about 2022? Let him sit for two years? Sit 40 million on the bench? What's the answer there?

They don’t think it that far through.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

I agree yes QBs can sit and learn and get better.  I witnessed Mahomes go through this living out here in KC.  Difference with all the other Qbs you mentioned is that they had a couple years in college under their belts.  Anyone we get this year would have to sit, unless Matt gets hurt.

It's best for them to sit for a year at least I think. Let them acclimate and get used to the NFL level, and that's not just if we pick them, but anywhere they go. Build some confidence and refine their skills.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...