Why does EVERY QB that is athletic has to be thrown in the Cam/Lamar Jackson bag

lju713

We dont put Josh Allen in that convo at at. I've seen post that Fields or Lance are better suited to be in an offense like Cam or Lamar Jackson??? In my opinion Fields was a better prospect coming out of HS, than Cam, LJack, or Watson. Certain states produce great athletes, and to be player of the year in GA is saying something. Same as Tex,Cali,LA,Fla etc. We didn't judge or we're critical about Wentz,Allen, or Trubisky for there athletic traits coming out. A dual threat QB makes the D play 11 on 11. After Brady and Matt retires the pocket passer will start becoming a dinosaur. Im not saying it won't be others, but the age of 6'3 QBs who run 4.4 40s is about to be the normal. The NFL copies and memic what the HS and NCAA does. From the read option down to the wildcat, to all the crazy spread concepts. Urban Meyer is in the league now, so those who were critical of his offense can't say the same things anymore🤷🏿‍♂️🤷🏿‍♂️

15 minutes ago, lju713 said:

We dont put Josh Allen in that convo at at. I've seen post that Fields or Lance are better suited to be in an offense like Cam or Lamar Jackson??? In my opinion Fields was a better prospect coming out of HS, than Cam, LJack, or Watson. Certain states produce great athletes, and to be player of the year in GA is saying something. Same as Tex,Cali,LA,Fla etc. We didn't judge or we're critical about Wentz,Allen, or Trubisky for there athletic traits coming out. A dual threat QB makes the D play 11 on 11. After Brady and Matt retires the pocket passer will start becoming a dinosaur. Im not saying it won't be others, but the age of 6'3 QBs who run 4.4 40s is about to be the normal. The NFL copies and memic what the HS and NCAA does. From the read option down to the wildcat, to all the crazy spread concepts. Urban Meyer is in the league now, so those who were critical of his offense can't say the same things anymore🤷🏿‍♂️🤷🏿‍♂️

I'm gonna give you a analogy.  When Dominique was in the NBA,  folks said " he can only dunk".   Well, last time I checked,  a dunk was worth two points, just like any basket inside the 3 point line.  In the NFL, it doesn't matter HOW you move them chains or score the points, its about getting it done.  Patrick Mahomes didn't take the Chiefs to the championship last season with his arm in the playoffs.  Those defenses schemed well against the Chiefs passing game in the playoffs.  He kept moving them chains running the ball in the playoffs and getting first downs...

80s & '90s NBA Gifs — Dominique Wilkins — 1988 Eastern Conference...

WATCH: Dominique Wilkins goes for a monster putback slam

Just now, Spts1 said:

I'm gonna give you a analogy.  When Dominique was in the NBA,  folks said " he can only dunk".   Well, last time I checked,  a dunk was worth two points, just like any basket inside the 3 point line.  In the NFL, it doesn't matter HOW you move them chains or score the points, its about getting it done.  Patrick Mahomes didn't take the Chiefs to the championship last season with his arm.  He kept moving them chains running the ball in the playoffs and getting first downs...

Wilkins never won an NBA championship. Because being a spectacular dunker doesn't get you there. There's a reason Russell Westbrook keeps changing teams and losing every year. Talent and athleticism isn't everything. 

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

Josh Allen is athletic. Patrick Mahomes  is athletic. They can also both read defenses fairly well at this point but will get much better as time passes..

I certainly wouldn’t compare them to Cam Newton or Lamar Jackson.

Every rookie QB will have problems reading defense. Even vets misread defense and throw picks. You cant tell me Fields or Lance were not just as good as Allen or Mahomes coming into the league.... Who can HONESTLY say they saw this out of Mahomes???

13 minutes ago, lju713 said:

I definitely wouldn't say he's a better prospect than Cam.  I hate Cam but that dude put his team on his shoulders and won a national championship...something Fields wasn't able to do.  My biggest knock on Cam was that his style of player would lead to a shortened career.

Edited by abcranford2

12 minutes ago, lju713 said:

So we can't generalize QBs, but you can generalize states?

Just now, abcranford2 said:

I definitely wouldn't say he's a better prospect than Cam.  I hate Cam but that dude put his team on his shoulders and won a national championship...something Fields wasn't able to do.

Fields is a better passer than Cam was coming into the league. Cams mechanics are still the same from Auburn 2010. Fields could've won a natty here or Ohio State. Had he stayed in school Ohio State would probably be the favorite.

5 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Wilkins never won an NBA championship. Because being a spectacular dunker doesn't get you there. There's a reason Russell Westbrook keeps changing teams and losing every year. Talent and athleticism isn't everything. 

Red Auerbach himself said that the reason Nique never won in Atlanta is because he was on a inferior team. The Celtics had one of the ORIGINAL big three with Bird, McHale and Parrish.  Red also gave Nique credit for being a better defender than folks gave him credit for. Its the reason he signed Nique later in his career. Red didn’t buy into the hype, he saw how great a player Nique was...

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

So we can't generalize QBs, but you can generalize states?

Dude im just stating facts. Look at the population of the NFL. 68% of the league comes from those states. I recruited for Central Florida for 6 years i know what im talking about.

1 minute ago, lju713 said:

Fields is a better passer than Cam was coming into the league. Cams mechanics are still the same from Auburn 2010. Fields could've won a natty here or Ohio State. Had he stayed in school Ohio State would probably be the favorite.

Fields has some work to do on his mechanics as well.  He has a bit of that Cam back foot throw thing going on and a bit of that Tebow elongated throwing motion going on as well.

6 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

They should have won when KD, harden and russ were in Oklahoma. Kept running into the lakers and spurs. Coaching matters.

Just now, abcranford2 said:

Fields has some work to do on his mechanics as well.  He has a bit of that Cam back foot throw thing going on and a bit of that Tebow elongated throwing motion going on as well.

All prospect have work to do. Nobody comes into the league and takes it by storm. Its rare. Julio did but how many Julio Jones are in the league now?? All im saying is if your flaws are mechanical and not physical, those can be worked out. I thought Josh Allen would bust, but now he is 1 of my favorite QBs, he plays the game how someone his size and skillset should.

15 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Josh Allen is athletic. Patrick Mahomes  is athletic. They can also both read defenses fairly well at this point but will get much better as time passes..

I certainly wouldn’t compare them to Cam Newton or Lamar Jackson.

Different play styles... Cam and Lamar both had Coaches that schemed with the element of their legs... Both have won games passing an average of 18-25 attempts on average and that’s pretty low. Josh Allen is a QB that can run, but they don’t use his as an additional element of the run game. 

Just now, Macintez said:

Different play styles

If we are to burn a top 5 draft pick on a QB, my style is they dam well better be able to sit on a pocket and carve up a defense. This means they have to first be able to read a defense. Give them the whiteboard test.  It would need to be at a high level to warrant such a high pick. No way simply because they can run fast is that high of a pick prudent.

33 minutes ago, lju713 said:

You’re right. It’s starts in Rec league middle school high school. Coaches are using the best athletes at QBs if they can throw the ball. I went to a middle school game yesterday and they were throwing it all over the place. Athletic dual threat QBs will be the future. That’s all there’s going to be to pick from. That’s why good WRs are in abundance in the draft now. The same way it use to be with RBs and still is. Kids are throwing and catching the ball at all ages now. The NFL is a passing league. The future holds an abundance of these types QBs. The piano back statue QBs will always be around here or there but in the future they will become distant 

9 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

You’re right. It’s starts in Rec league middle school high school. Coaches are using the best athletes at QBs if they can throw the ball. I went to a middle school game yesterday and they were throwing it all over the place. Athletic dual threat QBs will be the future. That’s all there’s going to be to pick from. That’s why good WRs are in abundance in the draft now. The same way it use to be with RBs and still is. Kids are throwing and catching the ball at all ages now. The NFL is a passing league. The future holds an abundance of these types QBs. The piano back statue QBs will always be around here or there but in the future they will become distant 

You really don't think that NFL defenses aren't going to eventually 'figure out' the running QB problem like the NFL has figured out other trends over and over and over again? Defenses will be built to counter these guys, something else will then be the 'running qb' of now. Its cylindrical and it always will be.

45 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

I'm gonna give you a analogy.  When Dominique was in the NBA,  folks said " he can only dunk".   Well, last time I checked,  a dunk was worth two points, just like any basket inside the 3 point line.  In the NFL, it doesn't matter HOW you move them chains or score the points, its about getting it done.  Patrick Mahomes didn't take the Chiefs to the championship last season with his arm in the playoffs.  Those defenses schemed well against the Chiefs passing game in the playoffs.  He kept moving them chains running the ball in the playoffs and getting first downs...

How many championships did he have ?

40 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Red Auerbach himself said that the reason Nique never won in Atlanta is because he was on a inferior team. The Celtics had one of the ORIGINAL big three with Bird, McHale and Parrish.  Red also gave Nique credit for being a better defender than folks gave him credit for. Its the reason he signed Nique later in his career. Red didn’t buy into the hype, he saw how great a player Nique was...

I still can't watch the Hawks to this day because of how they did Nique.