Matt Bowen’s Draft Report on Justin Fields

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In this offense, you can take Kyle Trask(pains to say) and turn him into a respectable QB. Especially with Julio and Ridley leading the way at WR. Fields is not needed at 4

Super athleticism.....which quite frankly means little to me if he doesn't have the ability to read a defense, then stand tall in pocket as he hits the right target based on his read.  The tendency to

It's amazing how Tua and Burrow had loaded teams the year before last and no one had an issue with either of them but with Jones it's an issue if he goes top 5. Man may turn out better than Tua

27 minutes ago, insight said:

What credible scout or coach claimed Justin Fields cannot read defenses just because he is super athletic?  

I don't know if anybody has said that he can't.  A lot have said that he didn't do it at Ohio st, not that he can't do it in the future.  But Ohio st runs a lot of receiver option routes so the offense is basically designed to stare down your #1 receiver and see which way he goes.  Once you see him open then you throw the ball.  Where as Alabama runs a more pro offense based on timing and reading keys, throwing the ball before the receiver makes his break and that kind of stuff.

3 minutes ago, gazoo said:

The burden is on those lusting over him to show me where he does have this ability. I knew for a fact prior to the 2008 draft Ryan had this ability which was when I was comfortable using the #3rd overall to get him.

If I am pushing for a QB at the #4 pick in draft where a terrifying high percentage of QB busts have been picked over the past decade, I need to tell the board specifically what qualities I see in him that I think will mitigate the colossal risk associated with the pick. There is no talk of any of this from the QB at #4 or we all will die chorus.

There are no absolutes, the highest % of starting QB's is found in the 1st round. It drops from about 65% to 27% percent from round 1 to round 2.  Not sure why you are not comfortable with the QB's at the top of the draft. 

If they were not that good why would  Kyle Shanahan give away draft assets to move to 3 to draft a QB?

The real question for Falcons fans is how and when is this team going to compete for a Super bowl.   Do you see us winning a Superbowl in two years?

5 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Alabama would have put up 60 points a game with Justin Fields, by halftime...

Most people felt that way about Tua as well.  Tua had the arm talent and athletic abilities.  Mac Jones was more efficient and made less mistakes than Tua though while putting up just as good of numbers.  The difference in Tua and Mac is that Tua was a homerun hitter and I think he relied on that too much.  He felt like he could throw any pass any time he wanted and Clemson made him pay for that mentality.  Mac ran our offense like a pro offense and took what teams gave him.  When the deep ball was there he made teams pay.  He didn't zip it in like Tua but I've never seen a qb drop balls in over receivers shoulders like Mac. 

42 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Nowhere in these people pushing for one of these QBs are talking about intelligence. All they do is sprackle all over themselves about the athletic ability, then create out of thin air this "sky is falling and we are going to die if we don't draft one" with our 4th pick.

This urgency, created only in the minds of some, to burn this 4th pick on a QB fails on two points:

1. We already have one of the best QBs in the NFL playing at a high level and even as his skills start to decline he has the cerebral ability to win a Super Bowl into years 3,4,and 5 from now in this offensive scheme. He's a pocket master, just get him a running game, some better protection and a defense and he's got several years left.

2. There is no QB that will be available at #4 that is good enough to burn that pick on. Waaaayyyyyyy too many QB busts in top 5 picks over the past decade.  Maybe Mac Davis if he can ace the whiteboard, but this lust for athletic QBs is maddening around here when these people don't ever mention intelligence and ability to read a defense as important.

***When there is an intelligent pocket passer who is athletic and can scramble I'm all in. I'd burn a #1 on him.  We have a couple in the NFL now that have the full set, so of course they exist, but I see no one pushing for these guys as much as mentioning this part of their game.  

you literally should stop typing.  it may sound good in your thoughts but it comes out all wrong when you type it.

1 minute ago, insight said:

There are no absolutes, the highest % of starting QB's is found in the 1st round. It drops from about 65% to 27% percent from round 1 to round 2.  Not sure why you are not comfortable with the QB's at the top of the draft. 

If they were not that good why would  Kyle Shanahan give away draft assets to move to 3 to draft a QB?

The real question for Falcons fans is how and when is this team going to compete for a Super bowl.   Do you see us winning a Superbowl in two years?

This isn't what I said. The sweet spot for QBs is middle to late 1st round. This is where the majority of pocket passers who have had sustained NFL success were drafted over past 10 years or so.

Its picks 1-5 in the 1st round that have a monumental amount of busts that set back teams years when they burn that precious of a resources on a bust.  If you are going to use a top 5 pick in the NFL on a QB, he needs to have high capacity to be able to read a defense, period, end of sentence. Reaching in those top 5 picks can be ruinous to a franchise needing talent at several positions, it can set you back years. 

So many of the best NFL pocket passers that had only average athleticism slipped past teams and were picked in middle to late 1st round. In that sweet spot, at least if he is a bust it doesn't cost you anywhere near the recourse you wasted on a top 5 pick that busted.

3 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Its far more than simply being smart. Its how you see the field and how quickly you process information and can react to it with split second decision making.    The whiteboard is the ultimate test for me if we are to draft a QB at #4. I could care a less if he can run a 4.4 40 or throw the ball 70 yards if he cant read defenses. 

And let it be said, this is the very first time I've seen anyone even mention intelligence when pushing for one of these guys. 

I've seen it mentioned but it's generally skipped over. Like when someone here on a Trey Lance thread posted about him making pre-snap reads, changing protections, and frequently audibling it got no attention.

I agree on wanting someone who can read defenses but I feel like most of these guys will be fine. It's also important to remember that none of them are finished products. Favre didn't even know what a Nickel defense was coming into the league and eventually won a MVP. I think these guys are coming in a lot better than that lol.

15 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

I don't know if anybody has said that he can't.  A lot have said that he didn't do it at Ohio st, not that he can't do it in the future.  But Ohio st runs a lot of receiver option routes so the offense is basically designed to stare down your #1 receiver and see which way he goes.  Once you see him open then you throw the ball.  Where as Alabama runs a more pro offense based on timing and reading keys, throwing the ball before the receiver makes his break and that kind of stuff.

Even with option routes the QB needs to read leverage so he can throw the correct route on time.  That maybe a true statement about Ohio States offense, but not doing something vs not being able to do something is two different things.   Patrick Maholmes could not read  read defenses before he got to the NFL which he has publicly stated.  

Edited by insight
Just now, insight said:

Even with option routes the QB needs to read leverage so he can throw the correct route on time.  That maybe statements about Ohio States offense, but not doing something vs not being able to do something is two different things.   Patrick Maholmes could not read  read defenses before he got to the NFL which he has publicly stated.  

I agree.  I also think Mahomes lucked out by ending up with Andy Reid, tyreek hill, and travis kelce.

5 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

Bruh wth is wrong with this fan base... Willing to settle for Kyle Trask over just staying put and taking Lance or Fields?  I swear man...

Because Arthur Smith is superior to Kyle Shanahan and can transform any QB into a Super Bowl winner.  Kyle Shanahan has to trade up from 10 to 3 because he doesn't really know how to coach QB's and needs better talent. 

47 minutes ago, insight said:

What credible scout or coach claimed Justin Fields cannot read defenses just because he is super athletic?  

I haven't seen that as a criticism.  I've read that he can be indecisive and holds the ball too long, which is a hard habit to break at the next level.  But honestly, that doesn't bother me a lot -- he's used to getting protection and being able to wait out a longer developing route.  With his arm talent, protect him and he reads defenses plenty well enough.

I think Fields has some developing to do, but you can say that about literally every QB in the draft, including Lawrence.

2 minutes ago, insight said:

Because Arthur Smith is superior to Kyle Shanahan and can transform any QB into a Super Bowl winner.  Kyle Shanahan has to trade up from 10 to 3 because he doesn't really know how to coach QB's and needs better talent. 

Why settle for inferior talent for a position that defines a team?  I don't understand the logic...  Take the **** qb that's gonna fall in our laps...  This trade down stuff is maddening!

5 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

I agree.  I also think Mahomes lucked out by ending up with Andy Reid, tyreek hill, and travis kelce.

Maybe it was just a perfect marriage. Andy Reid never could get over the hump before Mahomes.  Alex Smith had the same weapons that Mahomes had. 

2 minutes ago, insight said:

Maybe it was just a perfect marriage. Andy Reid never could get over the hump before Mahomes.  Alex Smith had the same weapons that Mahomes had. 

Exactly.  It's always been that way.  Walsh and Montana,  Brees and Peyton, Brady and Belichick/McDaniels.  Neither are as great without the other.

1 hour ago, PointSwayzee said:

That beautiful mind should have called an audible and run the ******* ball.  I remember seeing that Chad Pennington did the similar things in his draft evaluation. 

Is that a Chad Pennington dig? Jets were the trendy SB pick under Chad, until he tore his rotator cuff, TWICE. He still won a good bit of games and had near record completion percentage for career. Chad was better than his slow pitch, late career playing that people remember

1 hour ago, Bobby Biskie said:

This is football not rocket science. That beautiful mind ish won us 0 Super Bowls. I interviewed and work with guys like that, smartest in the room, and ended up being duds. I like Matt however..All of the QBs this year graded high in that area . Fields attended Hargrove and I believe was a honor roll student. Just because he’s athletic doesn’t make him a dummy.

Biggest point is, a "beautiful mind" can cover up for deficiencies, IE our lack of Defense for Matt's career, our lack of protection along the line, and signing old FA RBs.  Historically, the falcons franchise has been in the gutter, but under Matt's watch we had things like back to back winning season, 2012 NFCCG, 2016 SB appearance, and after a colossal SB failure, we went back to the playoffs and won a road game and dang near won in Philly.

Its a Team sport after all, but having a "talented and athletic" QB doesnt work out nearly as often as have a smartest guy in the room QB.

1 minute ago, runshoot said:

Is that a Chad Pennington dig? Jets were the trendy SB pick under Chad, until he tore his rotator cuff, TWICE. He still won a good bit of games and had near record completion percentage for career. Chad was better than his slow pitch, late career playing that people remember

Biggest point is, a "beautiful mind" can cover up for deficiencies, IE our lack of Defense for Matt's career, our lack of protection along the line, and signing old FA RBs.  Historically, the falcons franchise has been in the gutter, but under Matt's watch we had things like back to back winning season, 2012 NFCCG, 2016 SB appearance, and after a colossal SB failure, we went back to the playoffs and won a road game and dang near won in Philly.

Its a Team sport after all, but having a "talented and athletic" QB doesnt work out nearly as often as have a smartest guy in the room QB.

The "team sport" part of it is still by far the most important piece of the puzzle.  And to me, coaching trumps players at any position.  Get a great coach who knows how to get the most out of a team, and all of a sudden players start to look better than you thought they were.

You still need all of it.  You need talent, a really good QB, and good coaching.  But in order, I think Coaching > Team > QB.  We always talk about teams that are a QB away.  You don't often hear about teams (like ours) that have a QB but need coaching and a solid team.  In fact, too often we just blame the QB.  That's why so many people around here say stuff like "Matt Ryan can't win."  Well, not by himself he can't!

26 minutes ago, gazoo said:

This isn't what I said. The sweet spot for QBs is middle to late 1st round. This is where the majority of pocket passers who have had sustained NFL success were drafted over past 10 years or so.

Its picks 1-5 in the 1st round that have a monumental amount of busts that set back teams years when they burn that precious of a resources on a bust.  If you are going to use a top 5 pick in the NFL on a QB, he needs to have high capacity to be able to read a defense, period, end of sentence. Reaching in those top 5 picks can be ruinous to a franchise needing talent at several positions, it can set you back years. 

So many of the best NFL pocket passers that had only average athleticism slipped past teams and were picked in middle to late 1st round. In that sweet spot, at least if he is a bust it doesn't cost you anywhere near the recourse you wasted on a top 5 pick that busted.

thats cap when was the last middle of the 1st round qb that was good watson and mahomes both went in the top half of the draft 

1 minute ago, Someday soon said:

LAMAR JACKSON!!!!!  How does Fields arm talent compare to the 2020 NFL league MVP?  Better I would think but a little less shifty running though.

yes definitely "less shifty" but Fields is a bigger body.   Frankly it's better because you don't want your QBs running for 40 yd TDs - you want them running away from the passrush to pass the ball downfield and to keep the chains moving on short runs on 3rd down.