Jump to content

Matt Bowen’s Draft Report on Justin Fields


Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

There was a time when only I and maybe two other guys on this board was saying that Sarkisian was getting scapegoated in Atlanta.  Brah, I played football and I see what Justin Fields has to offer a offense...

Ohio state fan says Fields is best QB in the class. You could end up being right but obviously looks fishy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In this offense, you can take Kyle Trask(pains to say) and turn him into a respectable QB. Especially with Julio and Ridley leading the way at WR. Fields is not needed at 4

Super athleticism.....which quite frankly means little to me if he doesn't have the ability to read a defense, then stand tall in pocket as he hits the right target based on his read.  The tendency to

It's amazing how Tua and Burrow had loaded teams the year before last and no one had an issue with either of them but with Jones it's an issue if he goes top 5. Man may turn out better than Tua

2 hours ago, Wjcorner said:

@g-dawg gonna air this forum out if we pass up on Fields and he ends up being tough 😂

F'ng A!

I watched Deshaun Watson clone - but bigger and faster for two years at Harrison HS and then saw Kirby make the worst mistake of his tenure mismanaging Fields Freshman season - only to see Fields go on to be 2nd runner-up in Heisman voting his true Sophmore season and first year as a starter.

So already seen Fields slip through my alma mater's hands - will suck *** to see him slip through the Falcons hands as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Like 15% of the passes. The scouting report doesn't talk about other directions and depths. But if his strength is 15% of throws in the middle and may be 20% deep, he still needs to account for 65% rest of the field. Can he go through progressions to attack the whole field? If you become dependent on Intermediate middle, the teams are going to attack the middle. 

I’m not sure what you mean by 15%, but if you’re talking about Shanny’s offense, at it’s best, we were hitting deep digs at a higher clip than 15%.
 

Part of the magic of his offense was attacking the same area of the field (LBs and their drop depths) with different dressing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching these EFFORTLESSLY deep dimes that Fields is dropping in the bucket, and the darts he is throwing everywhere.  Best quarterback in the draft.  More accurate than Trevor Lawrence. Whoever drafts him is gonna have a monster at quarterback...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Baker Mayfield did something similar in 2018 with Browns. Peter King and Media were saying Browns will pick Darnold. Interviews are big part for QB selection.

Nowhere in these people pushing for one of these QBs are talking about intelligence. All they do is sprackle all over themselves about the athletic ability, then create out of thin air this "sky is falling and we are going to die if we don't draft one" with our 4th pick.

 

This urgency, created only in the minds of some, to burn this 4th pick on a QB fails on two points:

1. We already have one of the best QBs in the NFL playing at a high level and even as his skills start to decline he has the cerebral ability to win a Super Bowl into years 3,4,and 5 from now in this offensive scheme. He's a pocket master, just get him a running game, some better protection and a defense and he's got several years left.

2. There is no QB that will be available at #4 that is good enough to burn that pick on. Waaaayyyyyyy too many QB busts in top 5 picks over the past decade.  Maybe Mac Davis if he can ace the whiteboard, but this lust for athletic QBs is maddening around here when these people don't ever mention intelligence and ability to read a defense as important.

***When there is an intelligent pocket passer who is athletic and can scramble I'm all in. I'd burn a #1 on him.  We have a couple in the NFL now that have the full set, so of course they exist, but I see no one pushing for these guys as much as mentioning this part of their game.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Not as well as a lot of people.  By the way, where is Peyton Manning? Does he still post?

Saw a few of his posts a while ago, but I would love to see his input about our #4 pick. Also people keep talking about drafting the BPA, but I don't see that being a QB that would more than likely sit for two seasons before playing. We call them clipboard holders. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Thank you. People making $hit up about Smith’s offense never watching a Tennessee game. Tennessee thrived  on intermediate routes and play action. 

I mean, I’ll admit I still haven’t watched Smith’s offense at Tenn. Just saying if it’s Shanny’s system, it attacked the intermediate mid level consistently. Whether it was pull routes, seams to stretch LB depths, naked bootlegs, PA bootlegs...seemed like his one goal in life was to make LBs and mid zone defender’s lives ****. 
 

I think there was a graphic that showed Julio had a high majority of his routes on deep ins in 2016

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Super athleticism.....which quite frankly means little to me if he doesn't have the ability to read a defense, then stand tall in pocket as he hits the right target based on his read.  The tendency to rely on his physical skills first and tendency to zero in on his primary are red flags to me. 

Give the kid a whiteboard test that requires him to quickly read a defense and tell our scouts where he would go with the ball presnap, and do it over and over. Brady aced this test. The reason I was sold on Ryan at #3 prior to the draft was he also aced the test.  

Here is a clip from the linked article from the Athletic:

And Ryan apparently blew the Falcons’ brass away, especially when it was time to work through football plays on the whiteboard. Never mind the 31 touchdowns to 19 interceptions he posted as a senior at Boston College. Forget the fact that he didn’t complete 60 percent of his throws in his final year. Ryan was a football savant. And he blew the minds of Dimitroff, Smith and Mularkey in that meeting.

Ryan detailed the inner workings of the game in what was described as a football version of “A Beautiful Mind.” When he was done, Ryan sat down and was exuding a little confidence. He grabbed a pen, flipped it in the air and let it hit the table they were sitting at, as if to say, “I’m done. That’s all you need from me.”

 

If we are going to take a QB in the top 5, he needs to have this level of ability to read defenses, PERIOD.  I don't care if they can scramble or throw a ball 70 yards.  Way too many QB busts in top 5 of draft to focus on athleticism.  History shows us the best QBs in the NFL with sustained success can read defenses and deliver the ball medium range consistently to the proper pre-read target.

https://theathletic.com/670522/2018/11/22/a-coin-toss-and-a-city-wide-debate-looking-back-at-the-falcons-taking-matt-ryan-with-third-pick-in-2008-draft/

What credible scout or coach claimed Justin Fields cannot read defenses just because he is super athletic?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, insight said:

What credible scout or coach claimed Justin Fields cannot read defenses just because he is super athletic?  

The burden is on those lusting over him to show me where he does have this ability. I knew for a fact prior to the 2008 draft Ryan had this ability which was when I was comfortable using the #3rd overall to get him.

If I am pushing for a QB at the #4 pick in draft where a terrifying high percentage of QB busts have been picked over the past decade, I need to tell the board specifically what qualities I see in him that I think will mitigate the colossal risk associated with the pick. There is no talk of any of this from the QB at #4 or we all will die chorus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

That beautiful mind should have called an audible and run the ******* ball.  I remember seeing that Chad Pennington did the similar things in his draft evaluation. 

 

Drawing up plays on a whiteboard does not simulate live action and performing under pressure.  If that was the case Ryan Fitzpatrick would be the best QB of all time instead of a journeyman. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

I’m not sure what you mean by 15%, but if you’re talking about Shanny’s offense, at it’s best, we were hitting deep digs at a higher clip than 15%.
 

Part of the magic of his offense was attacking the same area of the field (LBs and their drop depths) with different dressing.

It is not more than 15%. Game to game may be 20-25% depending on matchup. I pulled up numbers from what AS called last year. Both short and intermediate was barely 20%.  Shanny isn’t calling everything in the middle either. 
Part of the magic is spreading the ball and have the defense going in all directions. If Your QB is all middle, the defense is going to sit and attack the middle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, insight said:

Drawing up plays on a whiteboard does not simulate live action and performing under pressure.  If that was the case Ryan Fitzpatrick would be the best QB of all time instead of a journeyman. 

The whiteboard given in rapid fire various defensive fronts, asking the QB to tell you where he would go with the ball presnap, tells the team if the QB can quickly read defenses and pick out the correct read. This is a cerebral test, tells them how a QB sees the field. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wjcorner said:

I mean, I’ll admit I still haven’t watched Smith’s offense at Tenn. Just saying if it’s Shanny’s system, it attacked the intermediate mid level consistently. Whether it was pull routes, seams to stretch LB depths, naked bootlegs, PA bootlegs...seemed like his one goal in life was to make LBs and mid zone defender’s lives ****. 
 

I think there was a graphic that showed Julio had a high majority of his routes on deep ins in 2016

I’ve watched a few Tennessee games. Especially this season because I knew we would be getting a new HC once Quinn was fired. Smith was my guy from nearly the beginning. 

Tennessee had a 51.8/48.2 run/pass ratio. Our 2016 season was 43.95/56.05. So there’s a shift in the fundamental football ideology between the two.

Tennessee relied heavily on the run game, and when that was stifled, they still remained balanced. This helped set up their intermediate passing routes perfectly. This complimented with the play action meant that they were remaining efficient rather than flashy. Much like 2016 Falcons, Tannehill went deep a few times and when he did it was setup perfectly  

One similarly between those two offenses was their emphasis on YAC. Smith is a less “gunslinger” type and I feel is a bit more conservative than Shanahan. So we may need to be a bit more patient with drives and culture. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Nowhere in these people pushing for one of these QBs are talking about intelligence. All they do is sprackle all over themselves about the athletic ability, then create out of thin air this "sky is falling and we are going to die if we don't draft one" with our 4th pick.

 

This urgency, created only in the minds of some, to burn this 4th pick on a QB fails on two points:

1. We already have one of the best QBs in the NFL playing at a high level and even as his skills start to decline he has the cerebral ability to win a Super Bowl into years 3,4,and 5 from now in this offensive scheme. He's a pocket master, just get him a running game, some better protection and a defense and he's got several years left.

2. There is no QB that will be available at #4 that is good enough to burn that pick on. Waaaayyyyyyy too many QB busts in top 5 picks over the past decade.  Maybe Mac Davis if he can ace the whiteboard, but this lust for athletic QBs is maddening around here when these people don't ever mention intelligence and ability to read a defense as important.

***When there is an intelligent pocket passer who is athletic and can scramble I'm all in. I'd burn a #1 on him.  We have a couple in the NFL now that have the full set, so of course they exist, but I see no one pushing for these guys as much as mentioning this part of their game.  

Again, how do you know this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Nowhere in these people pushing for one of these QBs are talking about intelligence. All they do is sprackle all over themselves about the athletic ability, then create out of thin air this "sky is falling and we are going to die if we don't draft one" with our 4th pick.

 

This urgency, created only in the minds of some, to burn this 4th pick on a QB fails on two points:

1. We already have one of the best QBs in the NFL playing at a high level and even as his skills start to decline he has the cerebral ability to win a Super Bowl into years 3,4,and 5 from now in this offensive scheme. He's a pocket master, just get him a running game, some better protection and a defense and he's got several years left.

2. There is no QB that will be available at #4 that is good enough to burn that pick on. Waaaayyyyyyy too many QB busts in top 5 picks over the past decade.  Maybe Mac Davis if he can ace the whiteboard, but this lust for athletic QBs is maddening around here when these people don't ever mention intelligence and ability to read a defense as important.

***When there is an intelligent pocket passer who is athletic and can scramble I'm all in. I'd burn a #1 on him.  We have a couple in the NFL now that have the full set, so of course they exist, but I see no one pushing for these guys as much as mentioning this part of their game.  

It probably isn't mentioned because all of the top guys who are projected in the 1st (by the media) are said to be intelligent.

In the case of Fields Harvard was among his first few offers, so he's pretty smart. I'd say the game against Clemson this year is a good example of him going through reads. 

 

This article has a few nuggets on how his intelligence rolls over into football.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/12/why-ohio-state-quarterback-justin-fields-intelligence-sets-him-apart.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

F'ng A!

I watched Deshaun Watson clone - but bigger and faster for two years at Harrison HS and then saw Kirby make the worst mistake of his tenure mismanaging Fields Freshman season - only to see Fields go on to be 2nd runner-up in Heisman voting his true Sophmore season and first year as a starter.

So already seen Fields slip through my alma mater's hands - will suck *** to see him slip through the Falcons hands as well.

You think Thai dude has that it factor?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PointSwayzee said:

Again, how do you know this?

When you show me a QB that will be available at #4 who scouts and front offices are saying excels at reading defenses, let me know.  So far I haven't seen that QB.  If we do our homework it very well could be one none of us are talking about and one we could move down to get. Many of the best NFL pocket passers in this era have slipped into middle to late 1s round.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Architect said:

It probably isn't mentioned because all of the top guys who are projected in the 1st (by the media) are said to be intelligent.

In the case of Fields Harvard was among his first few offers, so he's pretty smart. I'd say the game against Clemson this year is a good example of him going through reads. 

 

This article has a few nuggets on how his intelligence rolls over into football.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/12/why-ohio-state-quarterback-justin-fields-intelligence-sets-him-apart.html

Its far more than simply being smart. Its how you see the field and how quickly you process information and can react to it with split second decision making.    The whiteboard is the ultimate test for me if we are to draft a QB at #4. I could care a less if he can run a 4.4 40 or throw the ball 70 yards if he cant read defenses. 

And let it be said, this is the very first time I've seen anyone even mention intelligence when pushing for one of these guys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Its far more than simply being smart. Its how you see the field and how quickly you process information and can react to it with split second decision making.    The whiteboard is the ultimate test for me if we are to draft a QB at #4. I could care a less if he can run a 4.4 40 or throw the ball 70 yards if he cant read defenses. 

Alabama would have put up 60 points a game with Justin Fields, by halftime...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...