Matt Bowen’s Draft Report on Justin Fields

Fields is not the best QB in the draft but he is by far the 2nd best. All this Zack Wilson hype is hilarious. Lance is all hopes and dreams. Mac is surrounded by elite level talent playing subpar talent. Its a huge blessing for Fields he will get past Jacksonville and New York. Going to Shanny or AS where he could learn under Jimmy G or Ryan for a year would have him setup for future success. Heck even, Carolina or Denver would be better than those 2 dumpster fires in the top 2.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In this offense, you can take Kyle Trask(pains to say) and turn him into a respectable QB. Especially with Julio and Ridley leading the way at WR. Fields is not needed at 4

Super athleticism.....which quite frankly means little to me if he doesn't have the ability to read a defense, then stand tall in pocket as he hits the right target based on his read.  The tendency to

It's amazing how Tua and Burrow had loaded teams the year before last and no one had an issue with either of them but with Jones it's an issue if he goes top 5. Man may turn out better than Tua

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Fields is not the best QB in the draft but he is by far the 2nd best. All this Zack Wilson hype is hilarious. Lance is all hopes and dreams. Mac is surrounded by elite level talent playing subpar talent. Its a huge blessing for Fields he will get past Jacksonville and New York. Going to Shanny or AS where he could learn under Jimmy G or Ryan for a year would have him setup for future success. Heck even, Carolina or Denver would be better than those 2 dumpster fires in the top 2.

If Alabama is playing subpar talent then what is ohio st playing?

1 minute ago, abcranford2 said:

If Alabama is playing subpar talent then what is ohio st playing?

Maybe the way I worded it is wrong. Alabama had so much more talent than every other team in college football last year it was just a foregone conclusion who was going to win the Natty. You could have swapped any of the other top 4 QBs onto Alabama and they still win the Chip in an undefeated season.

Mac Jones on OSU and Fields in Alabama, The result of the title game would have been the exact same.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

Super athleticism.....which quite frankly means little to me if he doesn't have the ability to read a defense, then stand tall in pocket as he hits the right target based on his read.  The tendency to rely on his physical skills first and tendency to zero in on his primary are red flags to me. 

Give the kid a whiteboard test that requires him to quickly read a defense and tell our scouts where he would go with the ball presnap, and do it over and over. Brady aced this test. The reason I was sold on Ryan at #3 prior to the draft was he also aced the test.  

Here is a clip from the linked article from the Athletic:

And Ryan apparently blew the Falcons’ brass away, especially when it was time to work through football plays on the whiteboard. Never mind the 31 touchdowns to 19 interceptions he posted as a senior at Boston College. Forget the fact that he didn’t complete 60 percent of his throws in his final year. Ryan was a football savant. And he blew the minds of Dimitroff, Smith and Mularkey in that meeting.

Ryan detailed the inner workings of the game in what was described as a football version of “A Beautiful Mind.” When he was done, Ryan sat down and was exuding a little confidence. He grabbed a pen, flipped it in the air and let it hit the table they were sitting at, as if to say, “I’m done. That’s all you need from me.”

If we are going to take a QB in the top 5, he needs to have this level of ability to read defenses, PERIOD.  I don't care if they can scramble or throw a ball 70 yards.  Way too many QB busts in top 5 of draft to focus on athleticism.  History shows us the best QBs in the NFL with sustained success can read defenses and deliver the ball medium range consistently to the proper pre-read target.

https://theathletic.com/670522/2018/11/22/a-coin-toss-and-a-city-wide-debate-looking-back-at-the-falcons-taking-matt-ryan-with-third-pick-in-2008-draft/

2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Maybe the way I worded it is wrong. Alabama had so much more talent than every other team in college football last year it was just a foregone conclusion who was going to win the Natty. You could have swapped any of the other top 4 QBs onto Alabama and they still win the Chip in an undefeated season.

Mac Jones on OSU and Fields in Alabama, The result of the title game would have been the exact same.

I think Florida could have won it.

4 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Super athleticism.....which quite frankly means little to me if he doesn't have the ability to read a defense, then stand tall in pocket as he hits the right target based on his read.  The tendency to rely on his physical skills first and tendency to zero in on his primary are red flags to me. 

Give the kid a whiteboard test that requires him to quickly read a defense and tell our scouts where he would go with the ball presnap, and do it over and over. Brady aced this test. The reason I was sold on Ryan at #3 prior to the draft was he also aced the test. 

And Ryan apparently blew the Falcons’ brass away, especially when it was time to work through football plays on the whiteboard. Never mind the 31 touchdowns to 19 interceptions he posted as a senior at Boston College. Forget the fact that he didn’t complete 60 percent of his throws in his final year. Ryan was a football savant. And he blew the minds of Dimitroff, Smith and Mularkey in that meeting.

Ryan detailed the inner workings of the game in what was described as a football version of “A Beautiful Mind.” When he was done, Ryan sat down and was exuding a little confidence. He grabbed a pen, flipped it in the air and let it hit the table they were sitting at, as if to say, “I’m done. That’s all you need from me.”

If we are going to take a QB in the top 5, he needs to have this level of ability to read defenses, period. I don't care if they can scramble or throw a ball 70 yards.

https://theathletic.com/670522/2018/11/22/a-coin-toss-and-a-city-wide-debate-looking-back-at-the-falcons-taking-matt-ryan-with-third-pick-in-2008-draft/

That beautiful mind should have called an audible and run the ******* ball.  I remember seeing that Chad Pennington did the similar things in his draft evaluation. 

9 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I'd also argue that Alabama had more talent the year before.  The only difference was that our qb played a perfect season.  One of the best in college football history and he did it against an all sec schedule. 

2 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

I'd also argue that Alabama had more talent the year before.  The only difference was that our qb played a perfect season.  One of the best in college football history and he did it against an all sec schedule. 

That's fair, but again I think if you put Lawrence or Fields on Alabama these last 2 years you win both chips in a landslide. I don't feel like Mac was the primary reason for winning. he was more so the main beneficiary. 

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

Smith uses short to intermediate routes. He actually used intermediate  routes fairly often. His play action sets it up perfectly. 

LaFleur brought in some concepts but wasn’t able to maximize output. Smith took the scheme over, changed what didn’t work, and installed his own scheme (a superior one). Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

I’m not a fan of Fields but his mobility and toughness are good. His inability to get rid of the ball quick enough doesn’t make him a good fit for this scheme. 

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

That's fair, but again I think if you put Lawrence or Fields on Alabama these last 2 years you win both chips in a landslide. 

We all saw how much better Hurts looked at Oklahoma in a qb friendly scheme playing weaker teams.  Tua was a phenom.  Mac Jones played better than both.  People are underselling how good he is because he's not mobile and because he played at Alabama 

20 hours ago, gazoo said:

If we are going to take a QB in the top 5, he needs to have this level of ability to read defenses, period. I don't care if they can scramble or throw a ball 70 yards.

This is football not rocket science. That beautiful mind ish won us 0 Super Bowls. I interviewed and work with guys like that, smartest in the room, and ended up being duds. I like Matt however..All of the QBs this year graded high in that area . Fields attended Harrison and I believe was a honor roll student. Just because he’s athletic doesn’t make him a dummy.

Edited by Bobby Biskie
52 minutes ago, shock said:

If we needed him to start Day 1 I’d pass. But we don’t. Same with Trey Lance. I’d be happy with either of these guys at 4 because we all know they’re gonna be sitting and learning that first year (potentially 2) 

The last time fields had to sit on the bench, he bolted to Ohio State. He might not like that wait.

3 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

Mac Jones is the best quarterback in this draft.  Been saying it since October 

Disagree, but like that you not have wavered a second on this(I remember thinking WTH, Mac Jones??)

Personally, I think Wilson is, but we won't know for 3-4 years and this thread will be long lost. 

Funny thing is if we take a QB at 4, and he balls out, how many posters in 2 years will claim that they wanted a QB..lol.

That 20-25% will shoot to about 75-85%. Same premise as the pre-2020 season prediction...I would say about 80-90% said this team would make the playoff's or at the very least be in the mix.

Edited by PointSwayzee
2 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

We all saw how much better Hurts looked at Oklahoma in a qb friendly scheme playing weaker teams.  Tua was a phenom.  Mac Jones played better than both.  People are underselling how good he is because he's not mobile and because he played at Alabama 

Neither one of those QBs had Sarkisian who absolutely killed it for you guys not to mention a Heisman winning WR going for nearly 1900 and 23 TDs (Some of that is a credit to Mac)

I think Mac is somewhere in the middle. He gets too much credit considering the team/coaching around him but he also doesn't get enough credit at times for the good he did do. I don't hate the guy I just don't think he is better than the other top QB prospects other than Lance who is a huge unknown.

1 minute ago, PointSwayzee said:

Disagree, but like that you not wavered a second on this.

Personally, I think Wilson is, but we won't know for 3-4 years and this thread will be long lost. 

Funny thing is if we take a QB at 4, and he balls out, how many posters in 2 years will claim that they wanted a QB..lol.

That 20-25% will shoot to about 75-85%. Same premise as the pre-2020 season prediction...I would say about 80-90% said this team would make the playoff's or at the very least be in the mix.

I think Mac Jones could be.   Honestly I think the teams they end up on could be the deciding factor. 

12 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

Mac Jones is the QB  I'd grab out of this draft.  If he could ace the whiteboard I'd actually consider him in top 5. None of us know the answer to this, but Shanahan probably does. 

31 minutes ago, gazoo said:

If we are going to take a QB in the top 5, he needs to have this level of ability to read defenses, PERIOD.  I don't care if they can scramble or throw a ball 70 yards.  Way too many QB busts in top 5 of draft to focus on athleticism.  History shows us the best QBs in the NFL with sustained success can read defenses and deliver the ball medium range consistently to the proper pre-read target.

Baker Mayfield did something similar in 2018 with Browns. Peter King and Media were saying Browns will pick Darnold. Interviews are big part for QB selection.

1 hour ago, Wjcorner said:

If AS offense is emulating Shanny’s, he’s attacking the intermediate middle.

Regardless, I doubt we see a 1:1 interpretation of what he was running in Tennessee.

Like 15% of the passes. The scouting report doesn't talk about other directions and depths. But if his strength is 15% of throws in the middle and may be 20% deep, he still needs to account for 65% rest of the field. Can he go through progressions to attack the whole field? If you become dependent on Intermediate middle, the teams are going to attack the middle. 

1 hour ago, Wjcorner said:

If AS offense is emulating Shanny’s, he’s attacking the intermediate middle.

Regardless, I doubt we see a 1:1 interpretation of what he was running in Tennessee.

Thank you. People making $hit up about Smith’s offense never watching a Tennessee game. Tennessee thrived  on intermediate routes and play action.