Jump to content

Penia Sewell


*TMo*
 Share

Recommended Posts

"Sewell has a huge frame, quick feet and strong hands. He has the foot quickness to kick out and cover up speed rushers in the passing game," Jeremiah wrote. "His hands can get too wide at times, which allows defenders to get underneath him (see: matchup against then-Auburn DT Derrick Brown in 2019). However, he stays connected and usually wins when he locks on. He has the ability to bend and drop his weight, but he gets too upright on occasion. Sewell does some special things in the run game. He can uproot defenders over his nose and he is explosive as a puller. The more I watched, I did have some concerns about his balance. He lunges at times and ends up on the ground more often than you'd like. Overall, Sewell isn't the most polished blocker in this class, but he does offer the most upside."

Seen a few reports that question his balance.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

"Sewell has a huge frame, quick feet and strong hands. He has the foot quickness to kick out and cover up speed rushers in the passing game," Jeremiah wrote. "His hands can get too wide at times, which allows defenders to get underneath him (see: matchup against then-Auburn DT Derrick Brown in 2019). However, he stays connected and usually wins when he locks on. He has the ability to bend and drop his weight, but he gets too upright on occasion. Sewell does some special things in the run game. He can uproot defenders over his nose and he is explosive as a puller. The more I watched, I did have some concerns about his balance. He lunges at times and ends up on the ground more often than you'd like. Overall, Sewell isn't the most polished blocker in this class, but he does offer the most upside."

Seen a few reports that question his balance.  

We can afford to be patient with him by allowing him to settle in at LG or RT.  As I've said numerous times, we still need at least one starter on the Offensive Line.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, he didn't play last year, so it's no surprise you haven't seen him.  While I freely admit I don't have the eyes of a pro scout, I have heard that he spends too much time on the ground, dominates smaller players, but is less impressive vs. players of equal size.  What surprises me the most is that people think a college OL prospect that will be nearly 2 years removed from his last college snap is going to be a starting T on a pro team his rookie year. (Definitely not a #4 pick in my eyes).  I think it was Baldinger that said linemen get better by playing. Personally, I believe he will be available mid first round or later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need to actually watch him instead of trusting the scouting reports. No. 58, left tackle. I know for some OL film isn't as "fun," but Sewell is a treat. Keep in mind he's moving like this at 330 freakin lbs. And that, according to some heads, this was a "bad game" for him.

When you're this good, ain't much to do but nitpick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He looks odd from all the film I've seen. He doesn't seem to do anything the correct way, but he still gets it done. I don't know how.

I've heard the same thing about him being on the ground a lot, but more than half the times I saw him lunge and go down he usually ends up on top of a defender.

He wraps defenders in kind of like a bear hug, but as one analyst said "it isn't holding as long as he's still shuffling his feet." I'm not sure that's true, but I don't know. 

One thing he does better than anyone is take out 2 defenders, sometimes at the same time, but more often by knocking one away into another lineman and then peeling off to take out a second defender. He can also punch two defenders at once, one with each hand, to stop them in their tracks.

He does block high and grabs outside the defenders arms. It looks like holding to me, but I didn't see it ever get called.

He seems like a smart kid, but I think he'll fall a little bit. Needs a lot of work on technique, leverage, hand placement, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

This man excels in everything. To be so big he is very very nimble. He is my runaway pick if we stay at 4.  Some think he is better for a power scheme. But I have seen him excel at outside and inside zone. He is a complete player

Him, Pitts and “maybe” either Surtain or Parsons are my can’t miss at 4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

You need to actually watch him instead of trusting the scouting reports. No. 58, left tackle. I know for some OL film isn't as "fun," but Sewell is a treat. Keep in mind he's moving like this at 330 freakin lbs. And that, according to some heads, this was a "bad game" for him.

When you're this good, ain't much to do but nitpick.

And that AU dline was nasty. 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, and some other current/future pros.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

You need to actually watch him instead of trusting the scouting reports. No. 58, left tackle. I know for some OL film isn't as "fun," but Sewell is a treat. Keep in mind he's moving like this at 330 freakin lbs. And that, according to some heads, this was a "bad game" for him.

When you're this good, ain't much to do but nitpick.

I love how he fires off the ball. There were a few snaps where he seemed hesitant, but for the most part he was looking to initiate contact and move his man out of the way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing you have to keep in mind is, NO top prospect is 100% clean. They've all got flaws that have to be coached out of them. The ones who are able to adapt to coaching are the ones who become among the best. The rest end up bouncing around from team to team, with everybody thinking they'll be the ones to fix him.

Sewell is a great prospect, especially for a team that likes to run and needs athletic guys on the line to get out and hunt and hit. He's not perfect, but his issues are fairly minor, and easily corrected, imo.

And for the record, the whole 'he spends too much time on the ground' jab is complete nonsense, imo. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

The thing you have to keep in mind is, NO top prospect is 100% clean. They've all got flaws that have to be coached out of them. The ones who are able to adapt to coaching are the ones who become among the best. The rest end up bouncing around from team to team, with everybody thinking they'll be the ones to fix him.

Sewell is a great prospect, especially for a team that likes to run and needs athletic guys on the line to get out and hunt and hit. He's not perfect, but his issues are fairly minor, and easily corrected, imo.

And for the record, the whole 'he spends too much time on the ground' jab is complete nonsense, imo. 

 

The whole key to drafting successfully is lowering the risk in the players you take. Sewell is a low risk draft pick meaning he hits all the intangibles. Whereas as you get further down the list on QBs the questions arise and the risk increase. At 4 our pick should be solid. Yes some pan out some dont. But the days of reaching for players needs to stop for this franchise. Sewell is a legitimate top 5 pick. We need to run to the podium and get him on draft day. Let the loser franchises draft what may be, we need to draft low risk high hit players. No more Vic Beasley's or Tak's. Tired of this franchise being the laughing stock of the league on draft day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot hinges on his pro day IMO. The film and his highlights are easy enough to find but that kind of athleticism in bigger athletes is hard to maintain. Given his young age it’s not unthinkable that his weight could have greatly increased and his conditioning faltered during the year off. Until that and questions about how he spent his year off are answered he is a big no on my board

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

You need to actually watch him instead of trusting the scouting reports. No. 58, left tackle. I know for some OL film isn't as "fun," but Sewell is a treat. Keep in mind he's moving like this at 330 freakin lbs. And that, according to some heads, this was a "bad game" for him.

When you're this good, ain't much to do but nitpick.

I am ready to move Jake from State Farm to RT and put this kid in!!! 

Like I have been saying, I would rather draft “the best guy at position x” in the draft than the 3rd/4th best QB at 4. 

Hands down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BAMF said:

Well, he didn't play last year, so it's no surprise you haven't seen him.  While I freely admit I don't have the eyes of a pro scout, I have heard that he spends too much time on the ground, dominates smaller players, but is less impressive vs. players of equal size.  What surprises me the most is that people think a college OL prospect that will be nearly 2 years removed from his last college snap is going to be a starting T on a pro team his rookie year. (Definitely not a #4 pick in my eyes).  I think it was Baldinger that said linemen get better by playing. Personally, I believe he will be available mid first round or later.

Honestly all the buzz is if Bengals don’t take him he will slip out of the top 10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

You need to actually watch him instead of trusting the scouting reports. No. 58, left tackle. I know for some OL film isn't as "fun," but Sewell is a treat. Keep in mind he's moving like this at 330 freakin lbs. And that, according to some heads, this was a "bad game" for him.

When you're this good, ain't much to do but nitpick.

I watched the first half of this game a little while ago and the player I saw that game him the hardest time wasn't Derrick Brown nor Marlon Davison, but Nick Coe who got him on two plays in a row at the end of the first half. Coe attacked the inside of Sewell's body, got locked onto him, and then tossed him with a rip move. It wasn't an instantaneous beat. They wrestled for a second or two so at least he gave the QB some protection. You don't want to see it but I don't feel like that is a common threat in the NFL. Most left tackles need to be most proficient with wide edge rushers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...