MLB Covid Thread

AUTiger7222

1 hour ago, jidady said:

1) You can, but you don't. Only an amount non-existent percentage of the population does. 

Even if you were one of the very few who did, you'd still face the same dilemma. Unless you're a farmer or own a slaughterhouse, you have no idea what's in any of your food. Even the ingredients on the box might lie to you. Contamination is a thing. So, that's a false choice.

Even if the idea of choice were germane to the conversation, I'd still merely point to the rules about shouting "Fire!" in a crowded movie theater. People cannot do anything that jeopardizes the health of others. It's an intrinsic violation of the social contract. We used to know this, but recent politics have somehow shaken the foundations of common sense.

I could grow more of my own food (I do) and limit certain foods (especially those with preservatives and ingredients we can't spell or pronounce). But choice IS germane to the discussion because that lack of choice is creating fundamental issues for those that already have legit concerns about the vaccine - do I get the vaccine despite real concerns or lose my job? The politicizing of the vaccine hasn't made general discourse about it any easier for many people regardless of where they fall on their desire to get the vaccine.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

2) Respectfully, I'll equate whatever I want. We each make our own interpretations in life. I'm *thrilled* that you wear a mask. I DO think that anti-maskers are morons. It's a lack of understanding of basic history, if nothing else. Doctors haven't masked and sanitized for generations just for the fun of it. I mean, even the PLAGUE DOCTOR imagery of old features the plague doctors wearing -- you guessed it -- masks. Questioning the validity of masks is akin to questioning millennia of combined medical knowledge...and it's often done by people who barely passed 7th grade Science.

How people could talk themselves into the premise that masks do nothing is beyond my comprehension. I consider snakehandlers smarter. If you disagree, that's your choice, but I'm VERY entrenched in my opinion here. Anti-maskers aren't people I can ever respect again. It's that egregious a violation of the social contract.

You're certainly right, you can equate whatever you like - but it's still childish. Those that refuse or are apprehensive about the vaccine aren't the same as  anti-maskers - which is what you were equating. If you are STILL holding to that, I don't have enough levels of exasperation in the world to exhaust. Nor will I waste any brainpower typing up a retort. That said, I already agreed with you that anti-maskers don't really have an argument to make.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

3) The Tuskegee thing is different than this discussion. That was a vile, inexcusable part of human history. It makes me sick even to think about.

The COVID-19 vaccine represents the opposite. It's the embodiment of human endeavor. As an episode of The Good Place referenced, people from early history would have DONE ANYTHING for a vaccine. They died from modest cuts.

We just replicated a disease, altered one part of its RNA sequence and put it back, thereby directing the body to deliver an effective cure.

There's simply no comparing that to the long-term unknown ramifications of a disease that literally evolves based on the body it inhabits. People who have COVID-19, even the mild version, could have lifelong repercussions from it...ones that are easily avoidable by taking two shots.

And that's me, Mr. Empathy here, saying that.

If *anyone* here is reading this hasn't gone the shot, I BESEECH you to drop your pride and/or your prejudices here and just got get a dose. The risk of not doing it is disproportionately vast.

(To the mods, I sincerely apologize if you have to lock this thread.)

While I agree with you that those affected by the most gruesome diseases of the past would have likely done anything for a vaccine, this is different. You've already rightfully stated that the Tuskegee Experiment was vile, but that's far from the only sin of our past. Many minorities just don't trust that there is no sinister ulterior motive with the discovery of COVID-19, it's disproportionate effects on certain populations, and now the vaccines developed in warp speed time. Again, the U.S. doesn't have a great track record with treatment regarding minorities. 

Look, I'm not here to change anyone's mind - it's clear that some, including you, are "entrenched" in their own opinions - and that just doesn't make for mature, thoughtful and useful conversation. It just annoys me beyond belief that people can - with a straight face - wonder why some people can have legit concerns about taking the vaccine, and how the ever-increasing mandates are putting those same people in more precarious situations by eliminating choice for them. Instead i hear, "People who aren't vaccinated just don't understand/are stupid/are the problem/are too full of pride/should know better/should get vaccinated/should trust the government/should trust the science..." 

The vaccines appear to be helpful in curbing serious illness from COVID-19 and in minimizing the spread of the disease. That is excellent news. And as long as 1) there are no long-term significant side effects of the vaccine and 2) nothing more sinister lurks behind the shadows (again, it wouldn't be the first time), then I'm all for it. To wit, neither #1 or #2 have been proven just yet.

Edited by ATL Fan in the DMV

39 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

@jidady I was one of those against the shot at first but I changed my mind about it after seeing what it's done to people and seeing how easily this delta variant spreads and how it has impacted more younger people and children. But I still haven't gotten my shot because I've been recovering from bronchitis and I'm waiting to make sure I'm fully healthy again before I get the shot. If I catch covid after having bronchitis it could be deadly for me because my lungs are already in bad shape.

But I was able to talk my mom into getting it but sadly she got sick with the GI version of covid after her first shot and had to have a blood plasma transfusion and now has to wait 90 days before she can get vaccinated.

That's awful! Hopefully you both can get it shortly after recovery - the good news for you two is that plenty of places offer them now, so it shouldn't be difficult to quickly get them when you both are ready and able.

4 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

That's awful! Hopefully you both can get it shortly after recovery - the good news for you two is that plenty of places offer them now, so it shouldn't be difficult to quickly get them when you both are ready and able.

Thanks, and yeah, they're everywhere and free. But I wouldn't just get it anywhere, we decided that Walgreens would be a safe place to get it and they have the Pfizer one.

15 hours ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Some people - especially minorities - don't trust the government and other entities pushing this based on very real past U. S. history. 

Even if the U. S. had a pristine history against testing on unsuspecting US citizens - which it doesn't - these vaccines are still new without much of a track record in terms of long term implications regarding our bodies. At the end of the day, it's still an experimental medicine - regardless of its efficacy. 

The mRNA vaccines are a medical breakthrough that have been in development for over 30 years. And while the specific COVID-19 virus is of course new, coronaviruses have been around for a long time -- remember the SARS outbreak in Japan in 2003? 

It's not experimental medicine. It's been through trials and has been approved for use. I 100% understand the history of experimentation on minorities in this country, and its one of a millions stains on our history. But this isn't that. These vaccines have been through the scientific ringer. 

I just hope everyone that gets it or not makes an informative decision based on what they believe is best for them from what they have read and heard. The only issue I have is that people are basing their decision based off what has happened in the past with the US government. If this was a virus solely affecting the US I would leave them be and not encourage them to get the vaccine. But this is not a virus in just the US but a global virus that doctors and researchers from around the world have studied and researched that recommend getting the vaccine. So I would encourage everyone to get the vaccine

4 hours ago, brdu4 said:

I just hope everyone that gets it or not makes an informative decision based on what they believe is best for them from what they have read and heard. The only issue I have is that people are basing their decision based off what has happened in the past with the US government. If this was a virus solely affecting the US I would leave them be and not encourage them to get the vaccine. But this is not a virus in just the US but a global virus that doctors and researchers from around the world have studied and researched that recommend getting the vaccine. So I would encourage everyone to get the vaccine

Exactly!! People can say they don’t trust the government but this is a world wide pandemic. This isn’t a US Government scam.

13 hours ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

But choice IS germane to the discussion do I get the vaccine despite real concerns or lose my job?

Many minorities just don't trust that there is no sinister ulterior motive with the discovery of COVID-19, it's disproportionate effects on certain populations, and now the vaccines developed in warp speed time.

The thing with the first question is that you're describing choice when it comes to jobs. Your employer makes you wear clothing, pass drug tests, and not sexually harass or threaten others. These are all standard aspects of professionalism, as is not coming to work with an easily spread disease that imperils the lives of others.

As for distrust of the government, you'd need to be specific about which one. The two primary vaccines, Pfizer and Moderna, were developed in Germany by a team led by a noted Hungarian chemist with early distribution coming from Belgium and in Massachusetts/New Hampshire via Spain.

The only reason why Pfizer counts as an American vaccine is because it cut BioNTech a massive check. The German company had the breakthroughs. Meanwhile, Moderna owes some of its success to Dolly freakin' Parton.

So, even conspiracy theorists would have to stretch their fears beyond any reasonable expectation to think that a shadowy cabal of this many otherwise random countries worked together to do something nefarious.

In truth, it's the most logical, obvious scenario. Scientists tackled an unprecedented pandemic via hard work and good ideas. It sickens me that they're not being commended more for what they've done for humanity.

13 hours ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

it's clear that some, including you, are "entrenched" in their own opinions 

people can - with a straight face - wonder why some people can have legit concerns about taking the vaccine, and how the ever-increasing mandates are putting those same people in more precarious situations by eliminating choice for them.

The vaccines appear to be helpful in curbing serious illness from COVID-19 and in minimizing the spread of the disease. That is excellent news. And as long as 1) there are no long-term significant side effects of the vaccine and 2) nothing more sinister lurks behind the shadows (again, it wouldn't be the first time), then I'm all for it. To wit, neither #1 or #2 have been proven just yet.

"Vaccines heal" isn't an opinion. It's an immutable fact. That's the whole point here.

The "opinions" involve not wearing masks or taking vaccines. Those aren't based in reality. There's endless volumes of scientific data proving that masks reduce infection rates, just as you acknowledged that vaccines help.

As for the choice thing, I've already addressed that. You don't have the legal right to infect someone with a disease. There are criminal laws about HIV transmission expressly for this purpose.
Most of that last paragraph is great. However, your questions about #1 miss the forest for the trees. We don't know the long-term side effects of the vaccine. Those are fractional concerns relative to the potential short and long-term side effects of having COVID.

I've had lung problems most of my adult life. I referenced this in my reply to Tiger. I've not only had bronchitis but full blown double lung pneumonia more than once. I wouldn't wish such chronic lung issues on anyone on this planet. That's part of why I'm so emphatic that everyone should get vaccinated.

And I've addressed #2 with other replies here.

This vaccine has shockingly little to do with the American government. It's an international team of scientists who have literally saved millions of lives. Please don't miss that and jeopardize your health and the safety of others over governmental mistrust.

I think it's pretty clear from my replies here over the years that I'm first in line to say that America's treatment of minorities is a disgrace. I'm asking everyone here not to allow that fact to cause you to make a potentially tragic mistake by not getting the vaccine.

13 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Thanks, and yeah, they're everywhere and free. But I wouldn't just get it anywhere, we decided that Walgreens would be a safe place to get it and they have the Pfizer one.

What city are you in? My job sent me to some place called East Alabama Medical Center. I think that's it. It's in Opelika or Aurburn in a plaza by Big Lots. They have Pfizer. 

21 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

What city are you in? My job sent me to some place called East Alabama Medical Center. I think that's it. It's in Opelika or Aurburn in a plaza by Big Lots. They have Pfizer. 

I’m way way north of there. I’m in Cullman. We’ve already called Walgreens to make sure they had the Pfizer.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, jidady said:

Meanwhile, Washington and Houston were the first teams to require non-athlete employees to have the vaccine. I expect 20 more teams to follow soon.

You know Delta has previously announced that they would require their employees to be vaccinated. But I heard something on the radio today, I didn't catch the date, but there's a certain deadline in place (September something) and if by that date a Delta employee hasn't been vaccinated their monthly insurance will go up by $200 a month. That seems like a very fair and reasonable trade off to me. Don't want the vaccine, then you pay more for company insurance.

On 8/9/2021 at 3:10 PM, jidady said:

The only reason why Pfizer counts as an American vaccine is because it cut BioNTech a massive check. The German company had the breakthroughs. Meanwhile, Moderna owes some of its success to Dolly freakin' Parton.

So that’s why my breasts have enlarged since my shot. Knew there had to be side effects

• 2 weeks later...

Boston has a reportedly low vaccination rate and now has a covid outbreak. Chris Sale was just scratched from his start because he tested positive this morning. Sale is the 12th Red Sox to go on the Covid list the last couple of weeks. Not ideal for a team that's clinging to a WC apot by 1.5 games. 

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Boston has a reportedly low vaccination rate and now has a covid outbreak. Chris Sale was just scratched from his start because he tested positive this morning. Sale is the 12th Red Sox to go on the Covid list the last couple of weeks. Not ideal for a team that's clinging to a WC apot by 1.5 games. 

When you say Boston, are you referring to the team only or city in general?