Jump to content

MLB Covid Thread


AUTiger7222
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I don't know if I would immediately call it BS. There seems to have some issues with bad reactions to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. I've not heard of any issues with the others but there's been bad side effects linked to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

The FDA is in the process of issuing a warning about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine causing a rare side effect.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/12/new-warning-to-be-added-to-jj-vaccine-over-rare-side-effect/

Ehhh. 100 in 12.8 million is roughly the same odds as the general public for GBS. I don’t think they’ve got any case here. 

GBS does suck though, but if you treat it, most people are usually fine. It goes away on its own despite being rough for a little while. 

Man I honestly just love science lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tl;dr said:

Ehhh. 100 in 12.8 million is roughly the same odds as the general public for GBS.

That's the problem with a lot of these headlines. It's a situation where you have to report on side effects, but the side effect data so far is mathematically trivial.

I actually suffered a mild side effect of Pfizer, as I got the heart palpitations and also slept a lot the first 72 hours afterward. That's such a small price to pay for getting to go places again.

I honestly don't understand how this became political. Like, I've watched people scream about others wearing masks. Why do these people think hospital workers have worn masks for centuries now?

I mean, every illustration of a plague doctor includes a plague doctor mask, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Ehhh. 100 in 12.8 million is roughly the same odds as the general public for GBS. I don’t think they’ve got any case here. 

GBS does suck though, but if you treat it, most people are usually fine. It goes away on its own despite being rough for a little while. 

Man I honestly just love science lol

I don't know. I just saw it today and posted it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:
85% of Yankees tier 1 employees are vaccinated for loosened restrictions but there's reportedly a decent number of players that refused. 

This is the second time they’ve had a COVID issue this year. Lots of their guys tested positive immediately after they reached the 85% vaccinated mark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

This is the second time they’ve had a COVID issue this year. Lots of their guys tested positive immediately after they reached the 85% vaccinated mark.

Yeah, the purpose is really to prevent any serious illness as I'm sure you know. Hopefully everyone is just positive and symptoms are limited or nonexistent. The first time I know nobody really had any symptoms they just were positive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Yeah, the purpose is really to prevent any serious illness as I'm sure you know. Hopefully everyone is just positive and symptoms are limited or nonexistent. The first time I know nobody really had any symptoms they just were positive. 

Phil Nevin, their 3B coach, had a pretty major reaction and had to miss about 3 weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Phil Nevin, their 3B coach, had a pretty major reaction and had to miss about 3 weeks.

Yeah, Nevin had the full-blown version that could have killed him, as he has asthma and experienced some organ failure. He actually turned septic at one point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Welp. Let’s hope we can get it under control as a country. Don’t want us to go into a lockdown again…

Sadly as long as so many continue to refuse to get the vaccine things won't ever get better. There's some places that have it worse right now than they had at any point last year and it's because people won't get the vaccine. Every article I've read for the better part of a week has had quotes from doctors in it saying the exact same thing, this is a pandemic of the unvaccinated. Not all in those exact words but when you see these hospitals filling up and they're basically all unvaccinated, well that tells the story.

A doctor at UAB did an interview basically begging people to get the vaccine and when they tried to ask him about the political reasons for not getting it he was brutally honest about it and how there is no political reason to not get it. He also said, there's basically no health reasons to not get the vaccine. It's a really good interview if you want to take the time to read it.

https://www.al.com/coronavirus/2021/07/this-is-an-emergency-right-now-uab-doctor-on-delta-variant-rising-cases-in-alabama.html

 

But then we've got misinformation from conservative sites like this one that's just spewing lies. Not one mention of all the hospitals filling up with sick people who are unvaccinated because it doesn't fit their political agenda.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2021/07/27/johns-hopkins-doctor-shreds-cdc-and-faucis-narrative-on-covid-again-n2593195?utm_source=thdailypm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&newsletterad=07/28/2021&bcid=bdda44484db49f2db7b1ce636c3714fa&recip=27787733

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Anthony Rizzo has tested positive for covid. Rizzo declined the vaccine while with the Cubs so he'll face a longer road back even if the symptoms allow him. 

I don’t know why anyone would willingly not get the vaccine. I’ve yet to see a valid legit reason to not get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I don’t know why anyone would willingly not get the vaccine. I’ve yet to see a valid legit reason to not get it.

Some people - especially minorities - don't trust the government and other entities pushing this based on very real past U. S. history. 

Even if the U. S. had a pristine history against testing on unsuspecting US citizens - which it doesn't - these vaccines are still new without much of a track record in terms of long term implications regarding our bodies. At the end of the day, it's still an experimental medicine - regardless of its efficacy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Some people - especially minorities - don't trust the government and other entities pushing this based on very real past U. S. history. 

Even if the U. S. had a pristine history against testing on unsuspecting US citizens - which it doesn't - these vaccines are still new without much of a track record in terms of long term implications regarding our bodies. At the end of the day, it's still an experimental medicine - regardless of its efficacy. 

But it's better than just dying. At least it is to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

without much of a track record in terms of long term implications regarding our bodies.

Nobody knows about almost anything they put in their body. So, that's one of those waste of time arguments. People eat the equivalent of a credit card in plastic *every* week. Folks stressing about vaccines over this need to take a long look at the ingredients on their groceries.

In truth, it's just another way to be stubborn about COVID, just like anti-mask morons. They're the same people who would never think of having a surgeon skip out on washing hands before the same procedure but refuse to connect the dots.

GET THE VACCINE, EVERYONE!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, jidady said:

Nobody knows about almost anything they put in their body. So, that's one of those waste of time arguments. People eat the equivalent of a credit card in plastic *every* week. Folks stressing about vaccines over this need to take a long look at the ingredients on their groceries.

In truth, it's just another way to be stubborn about COVID, just like anti-mask morons. They're the same people who would never think of having a surgeon skip out on washing hands before the same procedure but refuse to connect the dots.

GET THE VACCINE, EVERYONE!!!

1) Last I checked, I had a choice in what to eat. I could alter my diet in any number of ways if I wanted to avoid some of the real contaminants we often unknowingly ingest. However, many employers (and now even our government for certain employees) are mandating the vaccine, thus effectively giving up choice for those affected by the mandate. Your argument really doesn't hold water.

2) Don't equate those that refuse or are apprehensive about getting the vaccine with "anti-maskers". The latter group has very little to stand on while the former group can at least make the argument. For example, I fall in the first category yet had zero problem wearing a mask (and still continue to do so even though I am vaccinated). Either way, calling "anti-maskers" morons is, well, obtuse at best and a little childish.

3) I don't expect some groups in America to ever understand why some people feel concerned about taking the vaccine. Just like I don't ever expect certain races to ever understand the plight of minorities in America. The sordid history is out there, yet so many refuse to acknowledge it. And with that, the gulf between understanding and empathy and widens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

1) Last I checked, I had a choice in what to eat. I could alter my diet in any number of ways if I wanted to avoid some of the real contaminants we often unknowingly ingest. However, many employers (and now even our government for certain employees) are mandating the vaccine, thus effectively giving up choice for those affected by the mandate. Your argument really doesn't hold water.

2) Don't equate those that refuse or are apprehensive about getting the vaccine with "anti-maskers". The latter group has very little to stand on while the former group can at least make the argument. For example, I fall in the first category yet had zero problem wearing a mask (and still continue to do so even though I am vaccinated). Either way, calling "anti-maskers" morons is, well, obtuse at best and a little childish.

3) I don't expect some groups in America to ever understand why some people feel concerned about taking the vaccine. Just like I don't ever expect certain races to ever understand the plight of minorities in America. The sordid history is out there, yet so many refuse to acknowledge it. And with that, the gulf between understanding and empathy and widens.

There are many things we're required to do as humans that we don't want to. That just comes with life. For example, there's many vaccines that are required of children before they're allowed to attend public schools. I've had jobs where I've been required to have the flu shot or not be allowed to work. I didn't want the flu shot but I got it because I needed my job.

As for your last statement, we're all aware of the struggles that minority groups have had in this country and we're aware of what happened to certain groups because of the government. But this is not equal to that. I read about a husband and wife that each died within 3 hours of each other because they didn't want the vaccine because of the history of government testing on blacks and they thought the vaccine was the same thing. Now their children have to tragically grow up without their parents because of the history of what the American government has done to minorities.

This vaccine, despite not being FDA approved, has been proven to be safe and effective. I'll trust the doctors on this and I've yet to hear a real doctor say people should avoid getting the vaccine because of X, Y, Z.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

1) I could alter my diet in any number of ways if I wanted to avoid some of the real contaminants we often unknowingly ingest.

2) Don't equate those that refuse or are apprehensive about getting the vaccine with "anti-maskers". The latter group has very little to stand on while the former group can at least make the argument. For example, I fall in the first category yet had zero problem wearing a mask (and still continue to do so even though I am vaccinated). Either way, calling "anti-maskers" morons is, well, obtuse at best and a little childish.

3) I don't expect some groups in America to ever understand why some people feel concerned about taking the vaccine. Just like I don't ever expect certain races to ever understand the plight of minorities in America. The sordid history is out there, yet so many refuse to acknowledge it. And with that, the gulf between understanding and empathy and widens.

1) You can, but you don't. Only an amount non-existent percentage of the population does. 

Even if you were one of the very few who did, you'd still face the same dilemma. Unless you're a farmer or own a slaughterhouse, you have no idea what's in any of your food. Even the ingredients on the box might lie to you. Contamination is a thing. So, that's a false choice.

Even if the idea of choice were germane to the conversation, I'd still merely point to the rules about shouting "Fire!" in a crowded movie theater. People cannot do anything that jeopardizes the health of others. It's an intrinsic violation of the social contract. We used to know this, but recent politics have somehow shaken the foundations of common sense.

2) Respectfully, I'll equate whatever I want. We each make our own interpretations in life. I'm *thrilled* that you wear a mask. I DO think that anti-maskers are morons. It's a lack of understanding of basic history, if nothing else. Doctors haven't masked and sanitized for generations just for the fun of it. I mean, even the PLAGUE DOCTOR imagery of old features the plague doctors wearing -- you guessed it -- masks. Questioning the validity of masks is akin to questioning millennia of combined medical knowledge...and it's often done by people who barely passed 7th grade Science.

How people could talk themselves into the premise that masks do nothing is beyond my comprehension. I consider snakehandlers smarter. If you disagree, that's your choice, but I'm VERY entrenched in my opinion here. Anti-maskers aren't people I can ever respect again. It's that egregious a violation of the social contract.

3) The Tuskegee thing is different than this discussion. That was a vile, inexcusable part of human history. It makes me sick even to think about.

The COVID-19 vaccine represents the opposite. It's the embodiment of human endeavor. As an episode of The Good Place referenced, people from early history would have DONE ANYTHING for a vaccine. They died from modest cuts.

We just replicated a disease, altered one part of its RNA sequence and put it back, thereby directing the body to deliver an effective cure.

There's simply no comparing that to the long-term unknown ramifications of a disease that literally evolves based on the body it inhabits. People who have COVID-19, even the mild version, could have lifelong repercussions from it...ones that are easily avoidable by taking two shots.

And that's me, Mr. Empathy here, saying that.

If *anyone* here is reading this hasn't gone the shot, I BESEECH you to drop your pride and/or your prejudices here and just got get a dose. The risk of not doing it is disproportionately vast.

 

 

(To the mods, I sincerely apologize if you have to lock this thread.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@jidady I was one of those against the shot at first but I changed my mind about it after seeing what it's done to people and seeing how easily this delta variant spreads and how it has impacted more younger people and children. But I still haven't gotten my shot because I've been recovering from bronchitis and I'm waiting to make sure I'm fully healthy again before I get the shot. If I catch covid after having bronchitis it could be deadly for me because my lungs are already in bad shape.

But I was able to talk my mom into getting it but sadly she got sick with the GI version of covid after her first shot and had to have a blood plasma transfusion and now has to wait 90 days before she can get vaccinated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...