Peter King thoughts on Falcons pick at 4

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

Everyone has thoughts on this pick.  I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Flowery Branch....

You have got to know offers are being made all over the place.  The chess game is most definitely on.

I would love to be "in the room" for a couple days before the draft thru the conclusion.  I will gladly donate $10k to the charity of their choice for the experience.

13 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

You're right about the flaws. But I don't see QB as an unnecessary position. We don't even have a viable backup, and there aren't really any out there that could win anything for us. Lance makes perfect sense on the two year wait program, although I agree a trade down to no later than 15 would be a great direction to go. The only problem there, if they expect Lance is going to be that good in 3 years, you really can't let Carolina have the chance to grab him. They've been offering bank for QBs, and NE probably can't beat them on a trade up with draft capital. 

And no way you start Lance in year one, so MR wouldn't be moved. He might be traded for a boatload before the late season free trade deadline if someone in contention loses a QB unexpectedly to injury. But to me Lance is the perfect choice for the future. 

If they take him at 4 I would have to see what they do with the rest of their draft picks before I become skeptical.

I think if we did take him, it wouldn't be a disaster, but I'm with you on trading back, but only if we get at least this year's and next year's first from someone, and maybe 3 firsts if it's all the way back to 15 or beyond. I'm not sure NE will give up that much.

The only real disagreement I have is about Fields. He isn't and probably never will be what Watson is. And with the hits he takes, I'm skeptical he won't be more along the lines of RGIII or Cam. He's more accurate, but he doesn't look as fast or even elusive once he's on the move. He's tough though, but that hit he took in the college playoffs, he should have been able to avoid that, and even though the LBer was right in front of him, he never saw it coming.

I think though, Fields is all we see a little differently, and that the pick of Lance would be a waste.

I guess I'll never consider drafting a QB at 4, and keeping Matt and Julio to be a wise, intelligent decision. We aren't winning jack if Matt goes down anyway (not that we have any reason to plan on that. He's an ironman like Brady). So, if he has a major injury, and we have a bad record, we'll be able to draft a guy next year when it makes more sense.

Depth  at QB is just a body until we need one. That's a 4th round and beyond pick, imo. 

Personally, if he builds on his 2020 work, JTD out in Athens is the guy I'd want, without a doubt. That's a pile of tools that kid has. 

As far as Fields goes, I've written a lot of the same issues I see that you mentioned. He's definitely being drafted on potential that needs plenty of coaching and the right system. But he has one thing neither Wilson nor Lance has: A track record of success versus top competition.

Can anyone imagine his numbers vs the competition Lance and Wilson have faced? He might put up 10 TDs most games if unleashed. In my world, that matters a lot. 

Don’t know why anyone ever thought the Falcons wouldn’t strongly consider taking a QB at #4.

New GM and new HC and a roster not ready to win.   

New regimes want to build their own way and like having a young dynamic QB.

Fontenot might have taken that NINERS offer otherwise- especially if NINERS targeting Mac Jones.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Don’t know why anyone ever thought the Falcons wouldn’t strongly consider taking a QB at #4.

Fontenot might have taken that NINERS offer otherwise- especially if NINERS targeting Mac Jones.

I would say that ANY scenario or pick is in play man.  They would be fools not to entertain all potentials.

Just now, Herr Doktor said:

I would say that ANY scenario or pick is in play man.  They would be fools not to entertain all potentials.

YES but half the board was in denial that QB was in play.   Peter King basically said he is hearing the Falcons thinking QB - that's not nothing.   Many young guys don't even know who Peter King is - he has been been the #1 NFL writer for three decades.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

I think some just want Matt Ryan to be a Falcon until he retires. Any other reason doesn’t make much sense to me because the advantages of having a QB ready to take over is super obvious.

Even if we don’t go QB in the first round, refusing to have discussions about taking a QB would be the sign of a bad front office. I don’t believe these new guys are that stupid. 

Just now, g-dawg said:

yeah because the #1 NFL writer for the last 30 years has built his career on "lazy reporting"

Dave chappelle dylan gif » GIF Images Download

That's what I said right? Fact is there is absolutely no way QB's will go 1 - 4. Saying that is lazy, because he is just jumping on the hype wagon. It's just a plain stupid take.

Just now, Boise Falcon Fan said:

That's what I said right? Fact is there is absolutely no way QB's will go 1 - 4. Saying that is lazy, because he is just jumping on the hype wagon. It's just a plain stupid take.

you don't know the source.   you are one of these guys that doesn't know Peter King.   if you did, you wouldn't say that.

Peter King doesn't jump on hype wagons.   Peter King breaks a lot of information and has for decades.

3 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Curious, why do you think that?

If someone trades up to our spot, it's likely for a QB.  All reports are that SF is taking a QB at 3.  If we trade out of the spot, then it's QB at the first four spots on the board.  I'm not saying that's necessarily going to happen, but I don't think it's stupid to think it could.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

you don't know the source.   you are one of these guys that doesn't know Peter King.   if you did, you wouldn't say that.

Peter King doesn't jump on hype wagons.   Peter King breaks a lot of information and has for decades.

I stopped listening to Peter King a long time ago. If you trust that Peter King will be right, QB's going 1 - 4, then more power to you, because it will not happen.

Just now, JDaveG said:

Curious, why do you think that?

If someone trades up to our spot, it's likely for a QB.  All reports are that SF is taking a QB at 3.  If we trade out of the spot, then it's QB at the first four spots on the board.  I'm not saying that's necessarily going to happen, but I don't think it's stupid to think it could.

Oh, I don't know, maybe because it has never happened before...It just won't happen. 

1 minute ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I stopped listening to Peter King a long time ago. If you trust that Peter King will be right, QB's going 1 - 4, then more power to you, because it will not happen.

ok let's make a friendly wager - $20.  I believe QBs going #1-4 will happen - feel even better about it because even if Falcons trade out of #4 - the person coming into that spot is taking a QB.

Let's do it - will be fun.

15 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

That is just lazy reporting. There is NO WAY QB's will go 1 - 4.

I’m not even convinced that the Jets are taking a QB. Sewell or Chase could easily be their pick, assuming the desperation level doesn’t drive a team like Carolina to sell the farm to get that pick. 

5 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

It still won't happen.

I disagree bro. There's an astronomical chance they are going 1-3 right now and I expect Fields or Lance is still on the board at our pick. It could happen. There's at least 2 very aggressive teams who haven't gotten their QB (NE and Carolina). And I expect SF is going Mac, so that leaves both Lance and Fields. I could see it happening, unless you're convinced we don't take a QB and we don't trade back.

I never expected it either, but the stars are aligning.

7 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I’m not even convinced that the Jets are taking a QB. Sewell or Chase could easily be their pick, assuming the desperation level doesn’t drive a team like Carolina to sell the farm to get that pick. 

ok - here is another easy $20 for me...

Go Harvey Specter GIF by Suits - Find & Share on GIPHY