Every year I hear how we're trading down for more pics. And every year it never happens. Could someone tell me the last time we traded out of the top 5 for more picks  ? Cuz I'm not saying we haven't , but I really can't remember it. But what I can remember is year after year I hear we're going to trade down for more pics. I really don't see it happening. And I know many of you guys won't agree with me, but if we pick at number four it has to be a quarterback. No way you take a tight end in the top five, no way you take another wide receiver with how much money we got in that position already. Offensive line may make sense, cornerback I doubt it. But we'll see. By the way, I think most of you know that I really wanted Zach Wilson. Well now I see that's not happening. But I'm really starting to like Jones. Played on a great team, played against the best of the best, had an unbelievable season. But I know he had a lot of good players around him, and the best college football coach of all time. Again we'll see

3 minutes ago, Norwood all the way! said:

The simple fact is we have a new regime. What any and all past regimes have done in the past is irrelevant. There's no telling what Fonty and co will do. This will be his first draft at the helm. Every possibility is up in the air as far as I'm concerned

I absolutely totally agree with you 100%... We really have no idea what's going to happen. That was just my opinion.

So what we pretty much know is that the 1st three picks are gonna be 

1.lawrence

2. wilson

3. fields

that leaves us with

lance, pitts, sewell, chase. None of these guys are truly worth the number 4 pick. I’d try my best to trade back for that reason, but if I’m stuck I’m going with pitts. He has the most upside, if he ends up being a Travis kelse type player he will be every bit worth a number 4 pick. Lance is too much of a project, with little experience, he has bust written all over him. Hopefulky though we will find a buyer for the pick and won’t have to over draft anyone

1 minute ago, texasfalconfan said:

1.lawrence

2. wilson

3. fields

that leaves us with

lance, pitts, sewell, chase. None of these guys are truly worth the number 4 pick. I’d try my best to trade back for that reason, but if I’m stuck I’m going with pitts. He has the most upside, if he ends up being a Travis kelse type player he will be every bit worth a number 4 pick. Lance is too much of a project, with little experience, he has bust written all over him. Hopefulky though we will find a buyer for the pick and won’t have to over draft anyone

So what's your opinion on Jones ? Now I'm telling you right now , in no way am I saying he's worth the number four pick in the draft. But he will not be there in the second round. And when I started this topic, I said there's no way I see us trading out of this pic. So if we don't take him at 4,we're not getting it him . But that's beside the point , what is your opinion on Jones ???

7 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

So what's your opinion on Jones ? Now I'm telling you right now , in no way am I saying he's worth the number four pick in the draft. But he will not be there in the second round. And when I started this topic, I said there's no way I see us trading out of this pic. So if we don't take him at 4,we're not getting it him . But that's beside the point , what is your opinion on Jones ???

He was not very accurate at his pro day. I think his success has been the product of the talent he was surrounded by. I agree he won’t be there in the second but he is at best a second round talent. I actually like trask better than jones

Edited by texasfalconfan

Picking in the top 5 is a rare occurence. We haven't had a top 5 pick since 2008. It's a little odd to wonder when we've traded out because (1) the opportunity rarely presents itself and (2) when we're in that position, we're bad enough that we need a difference-maker so we've made the selection. But as others have said, we have a completely different FO (and a GM who has never been on a team in this position), so who knows what they're going to do?

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2020/12/24/22195129/a-history-of-top-5-falcons-draft-selections

12 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Picking in the top 5 is a rare occurence. We haven't had a top 5 pick since 2008. It's a little odd to wonder when we've traded out because (1) the opportunity rarely presents itself and (2) when we're in that position, we're bad enough that we need a difference-maker so we've made the selection. But as others have said, we have a completely different FO (and a GM who has never been on a team in this position), so who knows what they're going to do?

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2020/12/24/22195129/a-history-of-top-5-falcons-draft-selections

interesting thought comes up after reading that article on whether or not vick falls into the 'bust' category. 🤔

you're spot on with your points tho. and it's impossible to try to predict what TF will do based on any of our past top-5 picks. in '08, we NEEDED a qb because our franchise qb was in f*cking jail.

just my opinion: as many people have pointed out we're a few years from being a contender, so the logical move would be to try to trade down and load up on picks.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

interesting thought comes up after reading that article on whether or not vick falls into the 'bust' category. 🤔

you're spot on with your points tho. and it's impossible to try to predict what TF will do based on any of our past top-5 picks. in '08, we NEEDED a qb because our franchise qb was in f*cking jail.

just my opinion: as many people have pointed out we're a few years from being a contender, so the logical move would be to try to trade down and load up on picks.

I'd prefer we undergo a full rebuild. The Dolphins started theirs three years ago and when last year's draftees get experience, they're likely to be competitive for years. Plugging up holes doesn't work in Atlanta because we use the wrong plugs. WIth that said, in TF I trust. Between him and Arthur, we might be able to work with what we have.

1 minute ago, JayOzOne said:

I'd prefer we undergo a full rebuild. The Dolphins started theirs three years ago and when last year's draftees get experience, they're likely to be competitive for years. Plugging up holes doesn't work in Atlanta because we use the wrong plugs. WIth that said, in TF I trust. Between him and Arthur, we might be able to work with what we have.

i still think we can get to the point where we're competing for a playoff spot AND rebuilding at the same time. a lot of people see it as one or the other, i think we can do both.

miami dolphins could be crazy good in a few years. they're just about to see the rewards from fleecing houston and then they fleece san fran. i was joking with a bills' fan buddy of mine the other day like "enjoy it while you got it". haha

1 hour ago, Norwood all the way! said:

The simple fact is we have a new regime. What any and all past regimes have done in the past is irrelevant. There's no telling what Fonty and co will do. This will be his first draft at the helm. Every possibility is up in the air as far as I'm concerned

add in as well, it's not like we're IN the top 5 every year either to make it happen regularly

New regime.

However, I have been curious.  I very much hope we trade down if given the opportunity.

But looking at TF's influences, New Orleans generally traded up, not down in the 1st round.  And Ozzie, who he cited, almost never traded back.  He just sat at his spot and took the best on his board.

So I hope we trade back, but the tea leaves wouldn't point that way with our new GM, but the tea leaves may mean nothing.

1 hour ago, texasfalconfan said:

1.lawrence

2. wilson

3. fields

that leaves us with

I disagree with you on Chase for sure, possibly on Pitts. Some of the stuff coming out on Sewell has to make a guy start to 'wonder' a little bit, but then I've always been on the "take Slater instead of Sewell" train anyway

5 hours ago, texasfalconfan said:

1.lawrence

2. wilson

3. fields

that leaves us with

You don’t know that at all....I wouldn’t bet the ranch on Fields being the9ers pick 

8 hours ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

Every year I hear how we're trading down for more pics. And every year it never happens. Could someone tell me the last time we traded out of the top 5 for more picks  ? Cuz I'm not saying we haven't , but I really can't remember it. But what I can remember is year after year I hear we're going to trade down for more pics. I really don't see it happening. And I know many of you guys won't agree with me, but if we pick at number four it has to be a quarterback. No way you take a tight end in the top five, no way you take another wide receiver with how much money we got in that position already. Offensive line may make sense, cornerback I doubt it. But we'll see. By the way, I think most of you know that I really wanted Zach Wilson. Well now I see that's not happening. But I'm really starting to like Jones. Played on a great team, played against the best of the best, had an unbelievable season. But I know he had a lot of good players around him, and the best college football coach of all time. Again we'll see

In Dan Reeves 1st draft as Grand Poobah of the Falcons, he went into the 1997 draft with the 3rd overall pick, and traded all the way back to 11, where he selected the 4th CB taken overall, Nebraska's Michael Booker  (The 12th pick?  The Chiefs drafted TE Tony Gonzalez...).   The biggest 'get' from that trade was an extra 2nd round pick used to draft RB Byron Hanspard.

We ended up with a JAG in Booker, and a decent RB who got injured in his rookie year and never fully recovered.  Seattle used our 3 pick on CB Shawn Springs, who ended up being a Pro Bowl CB.

That tradeback was a failure.

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Years/1997.htm