I think people are really going to be shocked on draft night(Round 1)

Everyone is expecting the Jets to draft Wilson.. I dont think they are... I think they are set on drafting to help out SD whether it be WR or Tackle.... I think Saleh(Sp?) has already whispered to Shanny that they are staying put and not drafting a QB.  IF KS is as enamored with Lance as i've read, and there was word that we were also high on him, then its probably why the Niners jumped ahead of us... Which brings up an interesting situation...Either the Niners jumped up to get Wilson, or they jumped up to get Lance..Which would allow Wilson to fall to us.. I have been anti drafting a QB at 4...other than Wilson...so if this scenario plays out then it will be interesting...do you draft Wilson and sit for 2 years...or now the 4 pick has just become a lottery ticket for ATL.... I would be torn.. I would hate to draft a player at 4 to sit him for 2 years, but on the flip side, would we be in a position like this again to draft a QB of this calibar?  .... TF first pick may cement his legacy forever..whether positvie or negative... Thoughts?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly, anything can happen.  I am popping popcorn, grilling a steak, making amazing adult beverages and expect ************** fireworks.

Saleh's first act as an nfl head coach is to tip his hand to another nfl head coach? Bold move, cotton.

Pitts without question 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, andrews31cain21 said:

Everyone is expecting the Jets to draft Wilson.. I dont think they are... I think they are set on drafting to help out SD whether it be WR or Tackle.... I think Saleh(Sp?) has already whispered to Shanny that they are staying put and not drafting a QB.  IF KS is as enamored with Lance as i've read, and there was word that we were also high on him, then its probably why the Niners jumped ahead of us... Which brings up an interesting situation...Either the Niners jumped up to get Wilson, or they jumped up to get Lance..Which would allow Wilson to fall to us.. I have been anti drafting a QB at 4...other than Wilson...so if this scenario plays out then it will be interesting...do you draft Wilson and sit for 2 years...or now the 4 pick has just become a lottery ticket for ATL.... I would be torn.. I would hate to draft a player at 4 to sit him for 2 years, but on the flip side, would we be in a position like this again to draft a QB of this calibar?  .... TF first pick may cement his legacy forever..whether positvie or negative... Thoughts?

Honestly, anything can happen.  I am popping popcorn, grilling a steak, making amazing adult beverages and expect ************** fireworks.

34 minutes ago, jhamiltonr said:

I have gone to watch Zach Wilson highlights as I am writing this. But, hear me out. What if DeVonta Smith is there @ #4. Do you take him or Kyle Pitts?    

I have to think Pitts.  He would essentially replace Hurst after next season and could be our Kittle, Gronk, Ertz going forward.  

Next year, we take a receiver to step in as the two behind Ridley.  As Julio All World will more than likely be playing his skillset elsewhere.

1 hour ago, andrews31cain21 said:

I think they moved up for Mac. He's the only QB they know will be there at 4. Lance is a slight possibility too, but if you look at history, Shanny wants a pocket passing QB with high football intelligence, and I don't think he wants to sit and develop Lance for 2 years at which point, with another injury to Jimmy, he is sitting on the hot seat and relying on Lance to save his job. Mac and Lawrence are the 2 most NFL ready starters. Mac could come in if Jimmy goes down, but he doesn't necessarily have to if Jimmy is healthy.

42 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I think they moved up for Mac. He's the only QB they know will be there at 4. Lance is a slight possibility too, but if you look at history, Shanny wants a pocket passing QB with high football intelligence, and I don't think he wants to sit and develop Lance for 2 years at which point, with another injury to Jimmy, he is sitting on the hot seat and relying on Lance to save his job. Mac and Lawrence are the 2 most NFL ready starters. Mac could come in if Jimmy goes down, but he doesn't necessarily have to if Jimmy is healthy.

Agree. I feel SF is taking Jones. 

44 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

^ This makes sense....KS wants a QB with a high fb IQ 

52 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Shanny wants a pocket passing QB with high football intelligence, 

I thought Shanny's offense was built on keepers and bootlegs? Isn't that the reason Ryan had to work on his mobility?

Lance ran a pro style offense and even had audible power. Why are we assuming Mac has superior football IQ?

3 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

I thought Shanny's offense was built on keepers and bootlegs? Isn't that the reason Ryan had to work on his mobility?

Lance ran a pro style offense and even had audible power. Why are we assuming Mac has superior football IQ?

Sadly, this is often an assumption when comparing white and black QBs. Also failure to read the facts that Mac has the highest percentage of screen/short passes (which don’t require going through progressions) of any major QB prospect ever but benefitting from having a bunch of studs who could take them to the house.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-mac-jones-despite-gaudy-statistics-at-alabama-lacks-in-key-areas-as-a-prospect/amp/

I think Mac has a lot of great tools and could turn out to be really good, but assuming he has a higher football IQ than Lance is not based on facts.

9 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

White privilege baby. 

If Wilson is there at 4, that pick is going to be worth so much. The Eagles may come back up for him and they have a little extra ammo now. I really like Wilson but I'm not down to draft a player that is going to sit for the next two years at 4. Not when we could be putting pieces around a ready to go QB in Ryan. 

I can appreciate your logic with thinking that Saleh has given them the heads up, but I think it's more likely that the 49ers are good with a number of QBs in this scenario. 

15 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

I honestly dont see trading up for Jones.  The ONLY scenario that would make that a truth is that Shanahan knew he was their guy and had intel that someone else had plans to take him, forcing the major trade up.

I think Shanahan was playing a calculated gamble to get one of Lawrence, Fields or Wilson.  Nothing else really makes a great deal of sense.

I am football ignorant, but I don't see a trade up unless you are really trying to get one of the perceived big three.  Again, I don't know, but this seems to be the logic I have on this.

2 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

I have to think Pitts.  He would essentially replace Hurst after next season and could be our Kittle, Gronk, Ertz going forward.  

Next year, we take a receiver to step in as the two behind Ridley.  As Julio All World will more than likely be playing his skillset elsewhere.

That assumes you think Calvin Ridley is a #1 type WR. I personally don't. He struggled badly at times last year without Julio to take coverage off him. That threw up a major red flag for me that he's better suited to be Robin to someone else's Batman. I could easily see the Falcons drafting someone like Jamarr Chase with the idea of him becoming the #1 WR after the 2021 season when the Falcons move on from Julio. And yes, I think the chances of 2021 being Julio's last year in a Falcons uniform is much much greater than it is that Ryan gets moved after the 2021 season.

1 minute ago, AUTiger7222 said:

That assumes you think Calvin Ridley is a #1 type WR. I personally don't. He struggled badly at times last year with Julio to take coverage off him. That threw up a major red flag for me that he's better suited to be Robin to someone else's Batman. I could easily see the Falcons drafting someone like Jamarr Chase with the idea of him becoming the #1 WR after the 2021 season when the Falcons move on from Julio. And yes, I think the chances of 2021 being Julio's last year in a Falcons uniform is much much greater than it is that Ryan gets moved after the 2021 season.

I see your reasoning.  To me, many of Ridley's issues was due to a poorly constructed route tree where he was running into full zones.  Calvin runs pretty routes.  I think of him as a number one.  But, I get your logic.

17 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

I didn't say his football IQ was superior than Lance's. We just know based on scouting profiles he has a high football IQ. And Mac is more mobile than Ryan. He is "tremendously smart" according to scouts, throws receivers open, and has a great sense of timing.

"Very good in a west coast offense"

"Quality field vision"

He has everything Shanny wants, and I just think he'll be going to San Fran. Lance is an option but much more of a project. It's just my feeling, and I won't be mad if they pick him or not, but I do think it's him or Lance, and I'm leaning big toward Mac.

20 minutes ago, belmont4213 said:

Sadly, this is often an assumption when comparing white and black QBs. Also failure to read the facts that Mac has the highest percentage of screen/short passes (which don’t require going through progressions) of any major QB prospect ever but benefitting from having a bunch of studs who could take them to the house.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-mac-jones-despite-gaudy-statistics-at-alabama-lacks-in-key-areas-as-a-prospect/amp/

I think Mac has a lot of great tools and could turn out to be really good, but assuming he has a higher football IQ than Lance is not based on facts.

Mac Jones threw a ton of deep balls last year. Dude throws dimes. 

Just now, Someday soon said:

If the Jets aren't taking a QB then they are trading the pick to someone that is.

That whole thing has me confused.  And perhaps that's on purpose.  Is Darnold unsalvageable?  Or was the SF offer not what they wanted?  I get the feeling that the Jets are not 100% sold on Darnold, Have a crush on Wilson, or the obscene offer simply hasn't been made.