Filling needs in Free Agency, Draft the Best Player on the Board

21 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Don't jinx us lol. Don't forget, the year RG3 was drafted, Washington also drafted Kirk Cousins

If RG3 had stayed healthy, that would have been a phenomenal draft too.  Cousins is a 4th round pick who is now starting for the Vikings.  Instead of letting him go in FA, Washington could have traded him for multiple picks.

That's also how you build a team -- stockpile draft capital by trading assets you don't need.  You get a competent backup QB for several years and the worst thing that happens is he starts because your no. 1 gets hurt and isn't very good, the 2nd worst is you lose him to a trade but get draft compensation, and the best is he works out and starts and becomes your franchise QB.

Actually, the worst thing that happens is you let him go as a UDFA for no compensation, which is what Washington actually did.

1 hour ago, Draftnut57 said:

Again,, Best player of need !  Anything else would be treason ..  Smith is not stupid., But those who think he'd pick a player that we did not need to upgrade on.. Just don't realize how much this thinking could ruin our chance to build a team that could go deep into the playoffs.

No one should draft purely for need or BPA.  

55 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

If RG3 had stayed healthy, that would have been a phenomenal draft too.  Cousins is a 4th round pick who is now starting for the Vikings.  Instead of letting him go in FA, Washington could have traded him for multiple picks.

That's also how you build a team -- stockpile draft capital by trading assets you don't need.  You get a competent backup QB for several years and the worst thing that happens is he starts because your no. 1 gets hurt and isn't very good, the 2nd worst is you lose him to a trade but get draft compensation, and the best is he works out and starts and becomes your franchise QB.

Actually, the worst thing that happens is you let him go as a UDFA for no compensation, which is what Washington actually did.

Oh, you definitely have to pull the trigger if a qb is bpa. We snagged Schaub only a couple years after Vick and actually did get compensation for him. I wanted to keep Schaub and trade Vick at the time. If memory serves me correct, rumor had it the Raiders were rumored to give us their #1 and Randy Moss

56 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Oh, you definitely have to pull the trigger if a qb is bpa. We snagged Schaub only a couple years after Vick and actually did get compensation for him. I wanted to keep Schaub and trade Vick at the time. If memory serves me correct, rumor had it the Raiders were rumored to give us their #1 and Randy Moss

I vaguely remember that.