Bingo Mingo (Falcons sign Barkevious Mingo)

Falcons signed LB Barkevious Mingo, formerly of the Bears, to a one-year contract. 

Mingo will likely serve as linebacker depth and a special teamer in Atlanta. The former first rounder played all 16 games for the Bears in 2020, recording 2.5 sacks and 35 tackles. Mingo, 30, has 12.5 sacks in eight NFL seasons. 

Mar 23, 2021, 8:42 AM ET

I remember he was highly touted in the draft, but it never really panned out for him.  Then when I see stats like these, it makes Beastley look like a future HOFer. Well apparently the new regime thinks he would be a positive addition and I'm going with that for now.

6 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I don't think anyone who does them thinks they have any real use.....it's just something to do....

...but the arguments.  The back and forth.  I can pick 12 guys right now and the chances are fairly high that I may hit on one of them for the Falcons.  However, when you start to think about trades and how that blows the board.  Its like the NCAA tournament bracket.  I was big into basketball when I was 13 to 19.  I never did a bracket.  64 teams and trying to picks the last 2.  Sure, if you have millions of people do one you may have one person with a perfect bracket.  

At this point in my life I have better uses of my time.  Don't get me wrong, I like "draft" conversations.  I just would rather talk about "who/what" makes better sense. There never is going to be an absolute until it happens.......so much hate for Mel Kiper, but so many want to be him. 😜

12 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

It certainly isn't as simple as people think

What confounds me is why generally respectable/intelligent posters think it is easy and accept so much at face value. Confirmation bias is huge both for the experts who create rankings and for casual fans who take in the information. It appears that draft value, much like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder. 

33 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Just like many others who get hyped and never do anything in NFL. Mockers have very short memory.

Name recognition alone gets two snaps up!  I remember a basketball player I liked way back in the day.  Baskerville Holmes!  Thought he'd be a nice rotational perimeter defender.  Never did a **** thing.

2 minutes ago, falcndave said:

What confounds me is why generally respectable/intelligent posters think it is easy and accept so much at face value. Confirmation bias is huge both for the experts who create rankings and for casual fans who take in the information. It appears that draft value, much like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder. 

I'm gonna go with.....they aren't as intelligent as they seem. Smart posters, sure, high percentage of us are. Intelligent, that's a stretch. Most take an article and twist the words to make it their own, especially when it comes to players that it's clear they've never laid eyes on. I can go on and on  with more but it's already off topic enough 😂

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I'm gonna go with.....they aren't as intelligent as they seem. Smart posters, sure, high percentage of us are. Intelligent, that's a stretch. Most take an article and twist the words to make it their own, especially when it comes to players that it's clear they've never laid eyes on. I can go on and on  with more but it's already off topic enough 😂

Brother, that is now societal and is taught in school from an early age.  Scary stuff.

57 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

That's why I have zero faith in mocks and will forever frown at them. I can tell you the 2 players that made me that way. Ryan leaf and Aaron Curry

I'll second Aaron Curry; I don't get what exactly happened to him in the NFL. He is smart, hard working, great athlete, nations top LB. He was in my eyes similar to Calvin Johnson....an elite athlete that worked very hard and is very smart.

What is cool about Aaron now; he is a good coach in the NFL. I'm sure he is a good dude to boot.

10 minutes ago, ki46dinah said:

I'll second Aaron Curry; I don't get what exactly happened to him in the NFL. He is smart, hard working, great athlete, nations top LB. He was in my eyes similar to Calvin Johnson....an elite athlete that worked very hard and is very smart.

What is cool about Aaron now; he is a good coach in the NFL. I'm sure he is a good dude to boot.

That's the story for many players.  They seem to have it, but some how their skillsets just never translate to the pros.  This happens a lot.  I'm an old school basketball guy, and saw so many college kids who were terrors in college never do anything in the pros.  Their game just didn't translate.