• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that is impossible not to love as a fan, right? Get sacks, get paid. Everybody wins. Oh wait, it's TATF, I'll find out what's wrong with this deal shortly.

Badass. Fowler's a real one for even agreeing. I hope he hits every mark, and if he does he'll be worth that 2022 number too.

55 minutes ago, MattM12 said:

Well that is impossible not to love as a fan, right? Get sacks, get paid. Everybody wins.

Oh wait, it's TATF, I'll find out what's wrong with this deal shortly.

Everybody wins but Fowler. If I am reading it right, even if he hits the $4 mil. in incentives, he makes $4 mil. less.

4 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Everybody wins but Fowler. If I am reading it right, even if he hits the $4 mil. in incentives, he makes $4 mil. less.

Correct. His contract is basically the same as Reddick just got for this year except Fowler has an additional 2m more in incentives.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
59 minutes ago, nuccah said:

Not much incentive to accept it, especially as a pass rusher. Only reason Fowler did is because he knew he was getting cut otherwise and probably would need to sign a prove it deal in FA. Smart move by the FO. 

Indeed.  Depressed market, bad film and his career has been more of last year than 2019.   No doubt he was not in a good negotiation spot but still give him credit for not letting his ego overpower his wallet and betting on himself.

1 hour ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

I agree. I wonder why they don't do more deals like that.

Several factors.  First, the player and player union want as much guaranteed money as possible, and the incentive deals typically don't offer long term (3+years) guarantees.  Second, it's a budgeting issue with the Cap, and that is important to the teams.  If the team has incentive laden deals predominantly in force, you have scenarios where players hit those incentives and hit's the cap, and we have to cut players to get under for a league year.  Incentives are good for smaller amounts, but you don't want high level FA's signing incentive laden deals, as it makes cap management extremely difficult.