Justin Fields calls his shot: "Had to let em' know. I'll be in the 4.3's by Pro Day.."

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Fields is the best scenario for Falcons if they stick at #4.    Regardless of Ryan re-structure 

Best case scenario is a team with cap problems is to take a backup and pay that back up 8 mil a year? Use logic and not emotions. The best case is easily trade down. We need cheap players and lots of them.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anyone moves a QB up their rankings because of a 40 time they're evaluating the wrong position. 

Yall got to let it go. That restructure killed any shot of qb at 4. The new regime has 3 year contracts. They aren't looking at Atlantas future past that. Why would they take a qb that might not even

I know he's got a lot of fans around here (myself included). I think he overtakes Zach Wilson as QB2 if he runs in the 4.3's.  Many think QB isn't at play for ATL after Ryan's contract was restru

9 hours ago, Rings said:

It’s not an impact for those spots either, tbh. If I recall correctly, 8 of the top 10 running backs in yards last year ran a 4.5 or higher.  A lot of fast guys at the combine, or track guys, can’t change direction, struggle to come in and out of breaks, have to decelerate a bunch before changing direction, etc.  40 time is almost as overrated as the bench press is at the combine.  There are a lot of more useful measurements there but aren’t as fun to watch or easy to judge by just a number.

I do agree that a lot of times people go crazy over 40 times, but don't seem to understand a great 40 doesn't make a player great.  Dri Archer got a bunch of hype his draft year because he was the fastest guy.  It didn't help him become even a role player in the NFL.  Alvis Whitted was faster than Torry Holt, but he couldn't catch.  Had a decent career, but it took 9 seasons to do what some receivers do in one year. I never saw a 40 time even close to 4.4 for T.O., but he was dominant in his era.  Randy Moss, that 4.2 was legit and despite the long legs, you knew he was going to get on top of a DB quickly and go by him.  40 times do matter, but they are not everything.  I have seen some really good looking College DBs not make it as big in the NFL due to the lack of speed.

Edited by isproab
14 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Best case scenario is a team with cap problems is to take a backup and pay that back up 8 mil a year? Use logic and not emotions. The best case is easily trade down. We need cheap players and lots of them.

no emotion.

logic is this Falcons team isn't winning a SB in 2021 and 2022 - that is logic - that is reality.   Define your goal.  My goal is winning a SuperBowl.  If yours is scraping to 9-7 and edge of the playoffs and one/done if you get there, then that's fine.

Dynasties aren't built thinking short-term - which is what you are doing.   Use logic, not emotion ;) 

15 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

no emotion.

logic is this Falcons team isn't winning a SB in 2021 and 2022 - that is logic - that is reality.   Define your goal.  My goal is winning a SuperBowl.  If yours is scraping to 9-7 and edge of the playoffs and one/done if you get there, then that's fine.

Dynasties aren't built thinking short-term - which is what you are doing.   Use logic, not emotion ;) 

Not going to win the super bowl getting our new coach fired because we had him draft a backup with his first draft pick either. You can claim you are thinking 'long term" because you have zero skin in the game. Tf and artie are thinking about the next three years and that is it.

You really think fields will want to sit for multiple years? Didnt he transfer because he had to sit?

13 hours ago, Arkridge said:

I know he's got a lot of fans around here (myself included). I think he overtakes Zach Wilson as QB2 if he runs in the 4.3's. 

Many think QB isn't at play for ATL after Ryan's contract was restructured. I saw it as more of an inevitable and think QB will still be firmly in play at 4.

I am ignorant, so bear with me.  Does Ryan's contract make him more easily traded after this coming year?

11 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Seriously who gives a rats if a QB can run 4.3 really.How did 4.3 work for Michael Vick.

Actually, it worked very well.  Had Vick been more mature and wanted to become a champion, he could have been among the greatest QB's in NFL history.

Having 4.3 speed makes Fields a true weapon.  Defenses would be forced to designate a spy on every play.  That means one less pass rusher or pass defender. 

I don't know Fields at all, but if he has a good head on his shoulders, can throw accurately, and has a true desire to be a champion, he could be something special.  

7 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Would you have the 4.3 speed or a work ethic to get better.

He can have all the money in the world if he still doesn’t amount anything running a team.

I’d take the work ethic and brains over the athleticism.

OK, but Fields has that. The Speed is icing on the cake for a QB. 

Edited by isproab
51 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Not going to win the super bowl getting our new coach fired because we had him draft a backup with his first draft pick either. You can claim you are thinking 'long term" because you have zero skin in the game. Tf and artie are thinking about the next three years and that is it.

You really think fields will want to sit for multiple years? Didnt he transfer because he had to sit?

What coach has Blank fired in two years that was a coach he hired?  I’ll wait...

...and so does Arthur.

8 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Would you have the 4.3 speed or a work ethic to get better.

He can have all the money in the world if he still doesn’t amount anything running a team.

I’d take the work ethic and brains over the athleticism.

I see you are playing into stereotypes

nice.

1 hour ago, isproab said:

I do agree that a lot of times people go crazy over 40 times, but don't seem to understand a great 40 doesn't make a player great.  Dri Archer got a bunch of hype his draft year because he was the fastest guy.  It didn't help him become even a role player in the NFL.  Alvis Whitted was faster than Torry Holt, but he couldn't catch.  Had a decent career, but it took 9 seasons to do what some receivers do in one year. I never saw a 40 time even close to 4.4 for T.O., but he was dominant in his era.  Randy Moss, that 4.2 was legit and despite the long legs, you knew he was going to get on top of a DB quickly and go by him.  40 times do matter, but they are not everything.  I have seen some really good looking College DBs not make it as big in the NFL due to the lack of speed.

That’s where I’m saying there is a minimum threshold they need to have to even make it in the NFL.  The problem is some people want to count things twice.  A WR may be really high on someone’s boards because they are always open for example, is it because they are fast?  Great route runner?  Good hands to avoid getting jammed at LoS?  If it’s speed that’s why they are high on the board, that’s already counted in the evaluation.  If they run a great 40 that shouldn’t be counted again as a positive because you already used that in your evaluation.  Too often speedy receivers jump up boards (look at Raiders draft history for examples) after a 40 time when that should be to check a box “does this match what I saw on tape when I evaluated that player”.  If not, you go back and double check, if so you move on.  

It can for sure hurt people if it’s terrible, Eponesa had a brutal one last year and it cost him...well, his whole combine was pretty rough.

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

I am ignorant, so bear with me.  Does Ryan's contract make him more easily traded after this coming year?

Not after restructuring. Ryan is here at least till 2022. They would need good reasons to trade him with 40 M dead cap.

5 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Who ran faster?

🤣 when i looked up "lamar jackson 40 time" the time for the CB lamar jackson popped up and i didn't notice it 🤪

apparenlty lamar didn't run a 40 at his combine, unofficially he runs around a 4.35. kyler murray is the only guy i can find that ran lower than that. 

anyways, my point was that running a straight line in underwear < actual game speed.

Edited by JohnnyFranchise
3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

no emotion.

What if they think non of those top guys are the future and they have a better chance with Ryan now.You do realise the future is now right.

As for there best chances of winning this year and next that’s speculation aswell.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

🤣 when i looked up "lamar jackson 40 time" the time for the CB lamar jackson popped up and i didn't notice it 🤪

apparenlty lamar didn't run a 40 at his combine, unofficially he runs around a 4.35. kyler murray is the only guy i can find that ran lower than that. 

anyways, my point was that running a straight line in underwear < actual game speed.

Running 4.3 for a QBs means nothing it really doesn’t 

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

no emotion.

my logic tells me that drafting a bust at #4, which I believe Fields will be, isn't in the best interest long term or short term

2 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Ehhh, I’m not sure we can really tell much about his maturity. He hasnt ever been in trouble so I see no reason he isn’t mature 

I'm not making bold predictions either. But, emphasizing 40 times over route progression and secondary targets isn't really a priority. No one other than him cares about a 4.3/40. That's what I was referring to. He may have to use that 4.3 speed 2 or 3 times in his entire career.

1 minute ago, abcranford2 said:

my logic tells me that drafting a bust at #4, which I believe Fields will be, isn't in the best interest long term or short term

yeah but you have to factor in the fact that you are wrong?   Do that and then get back to me.

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

no emotion.

no emotion? c'mon man. you have literally posted pics of fields with your son on here, don't tell us you're not clouded by emotion about the kid.

Just now, JohnnyFranchise said:

no emotion? c'mon man. you have literally posted pics of fields with your son on here, don't tell us you're not clouded by emotion about the kid.

i'm not.   I just know more about the player than you - that is all.  I could know more about him and hate him and his prospects as a prospect for Falcons.

I'm not a homer.....I'm a Dawg and I don't care if Falcons draft Gators and Auburn Tigers and Bama players - homerism is not a way I live my football life.

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

maybe you should google his completion percentage and TD/INT ratio.

I will help get you started   www.google.com

Just not impressed by his tape.  Scouts say he only looked off his first read 7 times....7 times.  That's insane.  And its probably Ohio St.'s fault.  When I watch his tape, I don't see any anticipation throws.  He has to see the receiver is open before releasing. I see mostly wide open receivers and jump balls.  His best throws tend to be to the side lines though.  I think a big part of his problem is that Ohio St. runs a lot of receiver option routes.  So they are basically teaching him not to throw the ball until he sees the receiver open.  Its unfortunate for him.